• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long arm-handgun in MI,legal to carry in other states?

lil_freak_66

imported post

this came up earlier today @ the ponderosa meet in owosso(the 12th of dec.)

i have a ruger 10/22 with a side folding stock,when folded is 26 1/8th inches long.

therefore is registered as a handgun in michigan as it is under 30 inches when folded.

my question is,since it is considered a handgun in MI is it legal to carry as a handgun in other states?or is it a "long arm" in the other states.

just a curiosity.and i was suggested to start a thread on it for a good discussion by one of the guys at the lunch today.

WARCHILD

imported post

I would tend to disagree on this one only for one simple fact...
If they recognize MI CPL, and you have it registered in Mi as a handgun; you are therefore carrying a handgun according to the laws of your state. They may not allow it to be registered in their state as a handgun by federal definition, but that is not what you are doing; if I understand your question correctly...you are just visiting.

WARCHILD

imported post

I agree and understand. If he were trying to register it in that state as a handgun. But if Mi allows it to be registered as such; don't you think they would honor it as with the reciprocity?

G

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I would tend to disagree on this one only for one simple fact...
If they recognize MI CPL, and you have it registered in Mi as a handgun; you are therefore carrying a handgun according to the laws of your state. They may not allow it to be registered in their state as a handgun by federal definition, but that is not what you are doing; if I understand your question correctly...you are just visiting.
Try it anywhere else in the union and you'll become a resident of their penal system.

Michigan is the only state in the union that defines a shoulder fired weapon under 30" and over 26" as a pistol.

Reciprocity of the CPL has nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, Michigan is only 1 of 5 states that requires the registering of handguns.

WARCHILD

imported post

I so enjoy learning new things here. Ok, so in order to carry state to state (regardless of CPL), you would best be protected to check the laws of that state to conform to them; lest you become a county resident in orange.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I so enjoy learning new things here. Ok, so in order to carry state to state (regardless of CPL), you would best be protected to check the laws of that state to conform to them; lest you become a county resident in orange.
It's like a DL. If you have a Michigan DL and lets say we can drive 100 on expressways in Michigan and then go to a state where the SL is 70, our DL doesn't allow you to drive 100.

Yooper

imported post

Your permit, when carrying in a state that recognizes it, is legally viewed as being equal to the permit in the state you are carrying. It offers you no additional privileges.

The only state that I know of that would honor the laws of other states was Michigan, prior to shall issue. I don't remember the exact wording of the law at the time, but it essentially said that all privileges granted by a non residents home state would be granted to them in Michigan. Yet, at the same time it was a moot point because under the old system, there wasn't any gun free zones, and I don't think there was a minimum age requirement (though I could be wrong), but no county would issue to those under 18, since you have to be 18 to have a pistol registered in your name anyway.

But, I guess the argument could have been made that if state "A" allowed machine pistols to be carried, that they would be allowed in MI. A better argument would have been with states that issue weapons permits instead of handgun permits, as far as carrying a weapon, not just a handgun, in Michigan.

But, our law changed, the cost increased, we got gun free zones now, and it costs more.

I'll have to come back tomorrow to see if what I wrote made any sense, because due to being tired, my brain isn't functioning very well right now.

Michigander

imported post

State laws obviously vary, but if you go to a free state, long arm OC is legal in your car, so it's not so much of an issue.

lil_freak_66

imported post

thats another thing i wanted to ask,

with a cpl,you can carry anywhere in the vehicle correct?

would that make it so that long arms registered as handguns could be carried in a gun rack placed in the rear window of a pickup?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

with a cpl,you can carry anywhere in the vehicle correct? Yes, but if you have passenger(s) with you who do not have a CPL, the pistol must be inaccessible to them.

would that make it so that long arms registered as handguns could be carried in a gun rack placed in the rear window of a pickup? Yes, but I strongly recommend you do not do this. Again, the passenger thing still applies.

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

with a cpl,you can carry anywhere in the vehicle correct? Yes, but if you have passenger(s) with you who do not have a CPL, the pistol must be inaccessible to them.

would that make it so that long arms registered as handguns could be carried in a gun rack placed in the rear window of a pickup? Yes, but I strongly recommend you do not do this. Again, the passenger thing still applies.
I'm not so sure about the "accessible to passengers" aspect. I believe that they are still in your control/possession.

If that's the case, then my placing my pistol on the console is not lawful with my wife next to it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

I'm not so sure about the "accessible to passengers" aspect. I believe that they are still in your control/possession.

If that's the case, then my placing my pistol on the console is not lawful with my wife next to it.

inaccessible :)

ETA: The way I look at it is if you did not have a CPL and you were the only person in the passenger compartment (driver in this case) of a truck with no trunk of any sort, the pistol must be incased, unloaded and inaccessible to you.

lil_freak_66

imported post

isnt there something about exempt persons?to include spouses

no law to cite directly from,but i think i read it somewhere,cant be sure however.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
isnt there something about exempt persons?to include spouses

no law to cite directly from,but i think i read it somewhere,cant be sure however.

MCL 28.432

It allows a person with a CPL to possess/carry a registered pistol belonging to another individual--in this case a spouse.

G

imported post

I can't find anything that requires a pistol being transported by a CPL holder has to be inaccessible to the passengers. Help me out here, please.