• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hey everyone

wally1120

imported post

I dont know if you were talking to me about carringa 1911 around all day or not, I did it for a Month, I wish I wouldn`t have even gotten that Friggen POS, Jammed on me about every 2 or 3 rounds I shot out of that thing, And there were others that had the same probem with the Eclipse that I owned. I will never own another 1911 style pistol again, I may just end up getting rid of the idea of having a steel framed pistol all together. I was MUCH happier with the XD that I owned before that POS, And I am also happy with the Glock that I own now.

Radioman

imported post

hypershorty wrote:
Hey,

I am new to opencarry.org and also to open carrying.:celebrateI haven't open carried other then in my house because I do not have a pistol in my name yet. I alwaysuse myboyfriends gun.I am not sure yet what pistol I want to get. I need a little help. I am pretty familiar to glocks but not with any other pistols.
Howdy Hypershorty

Welcome to OCDO from a neighbor to your left. Enjoy yourself and dont mind some of the folks on here. A few can be BAAAAAD (thats an inside joke btw). If you and your Boyfriend are interested or available make it out to one of the get togethers and meet some of the folks in person, there is usually a lot of good discussion about the laws, recent occurances, laws in the works and a good bit of well meaning ribbing to be had. The next Dinner is this Sunday at the National Coney Island in Roseville right at 696 and Gratiot. Should kick off about 5pm.

Now about what type of gun to get. Here is some good advise on that. Dont listen to the brand pushers. If you look around you will find that someone somewhere has had an issue with and thinks that every gun is a POS and not worth owning. Byproduct of everyone having an opinion and having a bad experience one time somewhere with something. Nothing wrong with that everyone has a right to express an opinion. Here are the things I would look for when purchasing a gun ...

Is it comfortable in your hand

Can you shoot it accurately

Does it point naturally for you (test this by taking a grip on the gun when lowered, close your eyes and raise the gun to a shooting position, now open your eyes, is it pointed up, down, straight ahead? THis is your natural aim, in a high stress environment this will be something that helps you get rounds on target when it counts you know along with all the training that your going to do also)

Is it carryable in your daily life and social setting
(check out this wbsite. It was mostly written by a lady for ladies that carry with some pieces by friends of hers. Gives a real good womens perspective on gun ownership and selection by a lady. http://www.corneredcat.com )

What is the Warranty / Reputation of the Manufacture (yes I am a little bit of the snob that I talked about above but it comes from working in the service industry all my life. I wont come out and say dont buy X cause I didnt like it, I might give you some arguements about why I didnt like it and demonstrate why something else might be better. Also I like a manufacture that backs up their product without a lot of hassle)

Is it a caliber that I can practice with often
( Yes you will need to practice often. I still do and I have been shooting for years)

Thats what I look for in a gun that I am going to buy. Not always in that order but those are the points that I look at for starters. Then its how it will fit into my collection, will I use it, do I think its just too cool not to own and all that other stuff. Hope this helps some. If you have questions please feel free to post them or shoot me a PM. There are bunches of folks on here that are more than willing to help out.

Radioman

office888

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I dont know if you were talking to me about carringa 1911 around all day or not, I did it for a Month, I wish I wouldn`t have even gotten that Friggen POS, Jammed on me about every 2 or 3 rounds I shot out of that thing, And there were others that had the same probem with the Eclipse that I owned. I will never own another 1911 style pistol again, I may just end up getting rid of the idea of having a steel framed pistol all together. I was MUCH happier with the XD that I owned before that POS, And I am also happy with the Glock that I own now.
You sure you didn't have a low-quality 1911, or that you had low-quality magazines?

Buying a low-quality 1911 is like buying a WASR10. Expect problems.

My Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI has never had a problem, except a magazine that failed and cracked the feedlips.

Low Quality : Norinco, Llama, Rock Island Armory
Good-to-High Quality : Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Para-Ord, SIG, S&W
God-Quality : Dan Wesson, Charles Daly

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

You should carry a 1911. It was used by the US Military from 1911-1990 (Present unofficially, it was reintroduced due to Beretta M9 failures). Can these polymer-frame pistols say that? :D

-Richard-

SpringerXDacp

imported post

office888 wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
You sure you didn't have a low-quality 1911, or that you had low-quality magazines? Wally's 1911 is a Kimber he bought new. He may have a bad mag or two but not likely. If I remember correctly, he has a pic of it on here somewhere. The real problem is that it's still too tight.

Buying a low-quality 1911 is like buying a WASR10. Expect problems.

My Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI has never had a problem, except a magazine that failed and cracked the feedlips.

Low Quality : Norinco, Llama, Rock Island Armory
Good-to-High Quality : Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Para-Ord, SIG, S&W
God-Quality : Dan Wesson, Charles Daly

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

You should carry a 1911. It was used by the US Military from 1911-1990 (Present unofficially, it was reintroduced due to Beretta M9 failures). Can these polymer-frame pistols say that? :D

-Richard-

I guess a couple of things to remember is that 1) He bought it new and 2) Other than SD ammo, he only shoots reloads.

That Kimber needs at least 2K - 3K rounds through it before it will even begin to loosen up, if at all.

My SW 1911 I bought 5+ years ago has at least 3K rounds (Wolf & WWB)through it and it's still tight as a drum. And, I don't consider mine to be a "Top End" 1911 at all, close maybe.

eastmeyers

imported post

Howdy HyperShorty is this you?...

moto_0459.jpg

moto_0458.jpg

Are those my (your boyfriends) pistols?

:monkey:monkey:celebrate:celebrate:monkey:monkey

God Bless

Michigander

imported post

Crosspistols, it's important to keep in mind that the 1911 design came from a time when technology was expensive, and skilled labor (lots of hand fitting) and good materials were relatively cheap. Things have since changed.

Don't get me wrong, I like 1911's, but anyone who knows 1911's and wants to be honest about it will admit that more modern designs offer greater convenience.

In regards to your luck with your 1911, it seems to be statistically the luck of the draw with the common problems I mentioned. Unless you have a super expensive custom, and in that case it tends not to be an issue.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Crosspistols, it's important to keep in mind that the 1911 design came from a time when technology was expensive, and skilled labor (lots of hand fitting) and good materials were relatively cheap. Things have since changed.

Don't get me wrong, I like 1911's, but anyone who knows 1911's and wants to be honest about it will admit that more modern designs offer greater convenience.

In regards to your luck with your 1911, it seems to be statistically the luck of the draw with the common problems I mentioned. Unless you have a super expensive custom, and in that case it tends not to be an issue.
Like I said for the purpose of close range, knock down power from an out of the box ammo you can bring any fancy plastic, double trigger, triple safety, decock with electric windows and power steering. I'll bring my $400 out of the box Springfield 1911. We'll see who can knock down the 250 lb. drug user on LSD first. :D

Michigander

imported post

I am personally a Sig snob. My carry gun is a P220. I consider it to be like a 1911, with a nice trigger and easy to grab grip, except it has the added bonus of no safeties to fumble over, and less potential room for needing reliability work.

But the fact remains that it's the shooter, not the gun that makes a gun work. 1911's, Glocks, Sigs, HK's, it all works. It's up to the operator to know how to work it right.

wally1120

imported post

Not trying to start any problems, I am just stating my experience with the Kimber. I got the Kimber used with about 800 rounds put thru it before I picked it up, I then put around 300 - 350 thru the Kimber. That puts it in the area of around 1,100 rounds thru the gun, A gun that GREAT shouldn`t be doing stuff like this. I EXPECTED MUCH MORE from a gun of that quality.

SlowDog

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I recommend the XD, or a Glock. I used to have the XD and it was a great gun, I have a Glock now, Havent shot it much but here good things about it. I highly advise staying away from the 1911 frame guns, You have to dump so much money into them things for them to function properly.
WHAT?!?!?!?!:what::what::what::what:
There is nothing wrong with 1911's! Mine eats anything I feed it and is very accurate and reasonably priced. A 45 is alot of gun for some woman but then again there is one woman who shoots my 45 & 44mag just fine,,,,she;s kinda scary too..,..j/k
I hope she doesn't read this!:uhoh::uhoh:

As said by others,welcome to OCDO.:celebrateThis is a great bunch.

Do lots of research and meet up at the ranges with a few different people and you can save some rental money and still try out a few diff. guns.

psst....My Springfield 1911A1 was priced right....needed no work and is SWEET!! Those guys are just in love with POLLY guns.....hehehehhe...gonna catch flak for that. :p:p

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Hey Wally we're just razzin ya, gettin yur goat, yankin ur chain, so & so forth! This aint that other site?;) My friend used to shoot target with his brother in law (B.I.L.) almost every weekend, he said his B.I.L. had a Kimber. He said it was a pretty lookin thang, but it would only feed certain ammo. I'd hate to be on a battle field, police situation, or even a close encounter in a dark alley with a gun that only takes precious metals to fire.

IMHO, a Glock, is like a Hot Rod, it looks good, runs good, you take it out of the garge on week ends to show it off, but the 1911 (not Kimber), well it is like a good ole work, truck...dependable, trust worthy, comfortable, solid you use it every day to get back and forth to the job. Plus you can use it on the weekend too!

autosurgeon

imported post

Yep standard GI 1911's are hard to beat... but like has been said many manufacturers are making them too tight in an effort to squeeze accuracy they were never intended to have out of them.... When they do that they raise the likelihood of jams and feed problem... Also Kimber is just a fancy overpriced production gun... they are nice and with work and patience they run just fine.

But for a person that would rather shoot then tinker .... well there are better choices!

wally1120

imported post

I guess I take the dis on the Kimbers back, My dad has a Customized to hell Kimber Pro Carry HD 2. Not many problems with that, He does have a very custom gun tho, I dont think there is another Pro Carry HD 2 out there like his. Dont get me wrong, 1911`s are nice lookin, I just wouldn`t trust my life with one. Because knowing my luck I would end up getting a unrealiable 1911 again. Another down fall for the 1911`s is that it is a VERY EXPENSIVE gun, They are a bit heavy, But they are carriable. I am only a Plastic shooter now, I am going to be replacing my Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP, That was a great gun after it was broken in aroung 300 rounds thru it. And that is the gun I traded for the Kimber, WHAT A MISTAKE. I wont get another gun just because it looks nice, I dont trust it to function properly. I am also looking at the Smith And Wesson Air Weight Revolvers, Them things are pretty cool. I shot one a couple weeks ago, And them things have a little bite to them, I just dont know about the price tho, May not end up getting one.