• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hey everyone

hypershorty

imported post

Hey,

I am new to opencarry.org and also to open carrying.:celebrateI haven't open carried other then in my house because I do not have a pistol in my name yet. I alwaysuse myboyfriends gun.I am not sure yet what pistol I want to get. I need a little help. I am pretty familiar to glocks but not with any other pistols.

T Vance

imported post

Most ranges have a wide assortment of guns you can rent and try out. From there you can research them online and see if the guns you like have any "flaws or problems". Choosing a firearm, especially for self defense is mostly about personal preferance.

Welcome to the forums. There is a lot you can learn from this website.

Also, could you plase put your location under your screen name when you have a second? Thanks.

autosurgeon

imported post

Welcome to OCDO and the excercise of you rights...

One thing could you add Michigan like i have it in my location to yours... That way we can keep track of how many MI folks we have on here!

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Welcome to the site. Like T Vance said the gun you carry is a personal choice. If you ask a 100 people you could get a 100 suggestions. Find the one that feels right in your hand and that you are comfortable shooting. Once again welcome. I've only been on this site a short time myself and even after many years of being around firearms I've picked up some helpful and valuable information from here.

T Vance

imported post

Please put MICHIGAN in your location so we get credit to our statewide membership. If you have any other questions there are a lot of intelligent individuals on this forum that can help point you in the right direction.

Also, if/when you decide to OC (open carry) you are going to want to read this thread and memorize it from top to bottom. Again, welcome to the forums.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/17262.html

mikestilly

imported post

Welcome to OCDO! I started by OC'ing in the house too. Then worked my way to outside my house doing work around outside. Then gradually started OC'ing everywhere.

The guys on here have some good advise. I suggest doing what I did. Don't set your mind on anything until you've gone to the range an rented a variety of pistols and shot them for yourself. Even after I spent quite a long time researching my first pistol not to long after I bought mine I was out looking for another one. I love my original purchase but I wanted a secondary as well. My primary is an H&K USP Compact 40 but I'm looking to get a Kahr PM40
for a better concealment pistol. In my opinion Kahr makes the best 3" barrel very small conceal carry pistol out there in the caliber I want. I was going to get the Kahr PM45 but after shooting it on the range it seemed harder to control then the 40 so I decided to stick with 40.

There is such a variety out there the best one will be the one you're most comfortable with and don't forget to do research. Research is important because you may like it at the range but there could be underlying factors that would stop you from buying a specific model or brand. I'd be careful though not to buy based on what people tell you. Opinions are like a$$h0l3z everyone has one but it doesnt mean that they're what's best for you.

Mike

FatboyCykes

imported post

Welcome!

Don't forget the Springfield XD :p

If you're familiar or like Glocks, it's a very similar gun with a smaller grip and added safety features.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Welcome Hypershorty!

Check out our Open Carry (O.C.) info section, Mi Law section, & all the open carry experiences. The more familiar you become with the Law, and how other people handle their situations, you will become more comfortable with the idea of O.C.

Pick out a pistol you like, one your comfortable with, one you can operate and control during target shooting, and under pressure (different stances).

I suggest starting out with a revolver, then try out an auto, with an auto you have to pick one you can operate the slide, all the safety's, and De cocks etc. decide then whether you want to buy a revolver or auto. It never hurs to shoot both

Just as you should research the Open Carry info, and Mi law section of this site, you should pick a couple of pistols you liked shooting then research the models as far as reliability, repair ability, accuracy, talk to people who own those particular models and get their input.

Remember the only stupid question is a question not asked!

wally1120

imported post

I recommend the XD, or a Glock. I used to have the XD and it was a great gun, I have a Glock now, Havent shot it much but here good things about it. I highly advise staying away from the 1911 frame guns, You have to dump so much money into them things for them to function properly.

Michigander

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
You have to dump so much money into them things for them to function properly.
Quite true. The feed ramp might need some grinding and polishing, and the extractor will probably need to be tuned. On top of that, many 1911's require hundreds of rounds of "break in" shooting before they are reliable.

This is an enormous hassle, and that is why I tend to agree that the 1911 platform is crap as a first gun, unless someone is very sure that's what they want.

And by the way, about Glocks, if you're familiar with Glocks, don't be afraid of getting one. They are probably the most reliable thing on the market, and you can't argue with the decent accuracy and very good capacity. It takes a lot of gun nuts a long time to finally figure out that Glock's are just about THE best platform out there for the money. By realizing this ahead of time, you might save yourself a lot of trouble and money.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Michigander wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
Quite true. The feed ramp might need some grinding and polishing, and the extractor will probably need to be tuned. On top of that, many 1911's require hundreds of rounds of "break in" shooting before they are reliable.

This is an enormous hassle, and that is why I tend to agree that the 1911 platform is crap as a first gun, unless someone is very sure that's what they want.

And by the way, about Glocks, if you're familiar with Glocks, don't be afraid of getting one. They are probably the most reliable thing on the market, and you can't argue with the decent accuracy and very good capacity. It takes a lot of gun nuts a long time to finally figure out that Glock's are just about THE best platform out there for the money. By realizing this ahead of time, you might save yourself a lot of trouble and money.
Hey hey there! :cry: I own a 1911, and I haven't spent a dime on any fabs, mods, or repairs. Even when mine was new it never had feed or ejection problems. As far as accuracy the 1911 was not designed to be a varmint gun. It was designed for close range hand to hand combat (when you absolutely have to knock down every mother F..... in the room!) The key to any fire arms accuracy is the operator, and the cleanliness, remember it is next to Godliness.

Browning was determined to prove the superiority of his handgun, he went to Hartford to personally supervise production of the gun. There he met Fred Moore, a Colt employee with whom he worked in close cooperation to make sure that each part that was produced for the test guns was simply the best possible. The guns produced were submitted for evaluation, to the committee. A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of each gun firing 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.
Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.
The report of the evaluation committee (taken from 'The .45 Automatic, An American Rifleman Reprint', published by the National Rifle Association of America) released on the 20th of March 1911 stated :

Code:
       "Of the two pistols, the board was of the opinion 
that the Colt is superior, because it is more 
reliable, more enduring, more easily disassembled
when there are broken parts to be replaced, and 
more accurate."
Lets see Plastic do that!:celebrate

Kimberguy

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
Michigander wrote:
wally1120 wrote:

Hey hey there! :cry: I own a 1911, and I haven't spent a dime on any fabs, mods, or repairs. Even when mine was new it never had feed or ejection problems. As far as accuracy the 1911 was not designed to be a varmint gun. It was designed for close range hand to hand combat (when you absolutely have to knock down every mother F..... in the room!) The key to any fire arms accuracy is the operator, and the cleanliness, remember it is next to Godliness.

Browning was determined to prove the superiority of his handgun, he went to Hartford to personally supervise production of the gun. There he met Fred Moore, a Colt employee with whom he worked in close cooperation to make sure that each part that was produced for the test guns was simply the best possible. The guns produced were submitted for evaluation, to the committee. A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of each gun firing 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.
Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.
The report of the evaluation committee (taken from 'The .45 Automatic, An American Rifleman Reprint', published by the National Rifle Association of America) released on the 20th of March 1911 stated :

Code:
"Of the two pistols, the board was of the opinion 
that the Colt is superior, because it is more 
reliable, more enduring, more easily disassembled
when there are broken parts to be replaced, and 
more accurate."
Lets see Plastic do that!:celebrate

Welcome hypershorty!
I ope you are able to find all the information you are looking for on here! it can get pretty overwhelming. I am still learning a lot!

Wally, you hurt my feeling brother! I don't think i could ever get rid of my 1911! it fits my small hands, and it has never had a single hiccup. I think you may have just gotten siashted when you got yours. :) either way, it all comes down to personal opinion.

oh, and get a hold of me, i think i may have some glock 17 mags for you