• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assembling an AR -15 lower

TylerJ87

imported post

I am looking to put together a complete lower and am looking for any input on where to get the stripped lower, which brands to watch out for and what options are good to get

Right now I am looking at adding an ambi selector and tactical latch possibly an extended bolt catch and enlarged magazine release as some options

office888

imported post

Don't worry about the little things right now.

Focus on getting your stripped lower, and your parts kit first. Your ambi-selector will be with the parts kit.

Ambi parts kits are about $80.
Currently, stripped lowers are about $100. Pretty much all of them are close to the same quality. I like Stag personally.

Oh yeah, and some tips:

Don't get a huge charging handle release. It stabs you in the side / chest if you have your weapon slung in front of you.

Don't get a carry-handle AR for your first. Everybody always gets bitten by the "optics" bug, and carry-handles are a pita to work around.

DO invest in a GREAT bolt-carrier group. Cheaping out on it, will only hurt you in the long run. Daniel Defense gets my money.

If you're assembling your own AR upper, USE THE PROPER VICEBLOCKS. YOU WILL damage your upper if you don't. Don't ask me how I know this. :p

DO join ar15.com.

GI 30rd mags are just as good, if not, better in some cases than polymer mags.

Most importantly, make your AR how YOU want it. Some of us like VFGs, green lasers, flashlights, red dots, and magnifiers. Some of us like K.I.S.S. carbines. Some of us like retro-builds. Don't let someone MAKE you do something. Make it how YOU want it.

-Richard-

TylerJ87

imported post

So right now it's between Stag and CMMG for the stripped lower. I am not sure if its worth $20 for the Teflon coating on the CMMG, any of your thoughts would be helpful.

Is it possible to get a lower parts kit without the A2 pistol grip? I just plan on replacing it with and Ergo or Hogue anyway

office888

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
So right now it's between Stag and CMMG for the stripped lower. I am not sure if its worth $20 for the Teflon coating on the CMMG, any of your thoughts would be helpful.

Is it possible to get a lower parts kit without the A2 pistol grip? I just plan on replacing it with and Ergo or Hogue anyway
Coating is NOT worth the money on the lower. There isn't a lot of parts that would wear against the lower, and I don't believe the military uses a teflon coating either to protect from mud/dirty either. As said, save up and buy an expensive BCG. It's the "brain" behind your whole weapons-system.

Not easily, and it's not worth it to try and disinclude the A2 grip. It'll probably be the same price or maayyybe $3-5 less. Trust me, with AR15 building, you always end up with a box of "spare" parts that you've replaced. :D

-Richard-

TylerJ87

imported post

Ok thanks for the advice

Now I am thinking I might buy the fully assembled lower minus the buttstock

There is only about a $10 - $15 difference if I buy separate and assemble myself or by the whole thing put together

it should be worth it right ?

TylerJ87

imported post

are the internal parts for the lower receiver pretty much the same between manufacturers?

I know there can be major differences in the upper and bolt carrier group but should I be looking for one brand over another when it comes to the lower assembly?

patriot1776

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
are the internal parts for the lower receiver pretty much the same between manufacturers?

I know there can be major differences in the upper and bolt carrier group but should I be looking for one brand over another when it comes to the lower assembly?
There is a difference in lower parts kits. I have a Stag AR that I purchased new a year ago and have put several thousand rounds through, with zero malfunctions. I would say that the lower parts kit that comes in Stags is average. Personally, I would buy a lower parts kit from a top-rate manufacturer like LMT. Internal working parts are definatley an area where you don't want to skimp. A top-rate BCG is a must as well.

As far as lowers go, if you want a standard mil-spec lower, get a forged one made out of 7000 series aluminum. Stag lowers are exactly this, and they are inexpensive.

As far as uppers, get an upper with a chrome lined barrel. Any one who tells you that you don't need this on an everyday AR has no idea what they are talking about. Chrome lined barrels not only make cleaning easier, they make the gun more reliable (not having chrome lined barrels was one of the main reasons for M16 failures in Vietnam, along with the wrong powder and poor cleaning). I would say take a look at the bravo company (BCM) uppers they are very, very good for a reasonable price. If you can't afford that, at least get a Stag upper. Something with an auto carrier is preferred even if you don't have an auto lower, because the weight is distributed properly compared to a cut down semi carrier. It is now legal to use an auto carrier in a semi-auto AR15, due to a change in ATF policy.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

Find a local FFL to do the transfer through. Go to cheaperthandirt.com, they have a list of FFL's that can do transfers for you. Usually the guys running it out of their house are much cheaper than the actual gun stores.

Good luck, remember if you buy top-quality you only have to buy it once.

Mike