• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm Gonna Start OC Soon...

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

I live in a smaller town near LaCrosse and have notified the town manager of my decision to carry. I've not seen anyone in this population OC so it should be interesting. I've got a good lawyer on retainer but hopefully I won't need him.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Spartacus wrote:
I live in a smaller town near LaCrosse and have notified the town manager of my decision to carry. I've not seen anyone in this population OC so it should be interesting. I've got a good lawyer on retainer but hopefully I won't need him.

WELCOME!

I suggest reading this: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.htmlthread, I would also encourage you to visit this: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=25383&forum_id=57thread to see who else is carrying in La Crosse County, me included.

Lastly, this http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=25245&forum_id=57thread talks about the picnic we did, and there is this http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=32321&forum_id=57thread where there is a pamphlet attached to my last post there that talks about the right to keep and bear arms.

I am also trying to organize a dinner/get together but having difficulty finding a place.

Read up, load up, and then carry on!

Sgt_Habz

imported post

Good luck Spartacus. You are starting at a difficult time, openly carrying during the winter. I have a "war belt" from the Marines that can go over my jacket, but it makes it look like I'm flaunting my piece, so I don't wear it. And wearing it on my hip, my jacket gets dangerously close to covering it up. So I'm in the process of hinting to my wife to get me a thigh rig to carry during the winter. Some of our other members have found/made rigs to address this issue, so don't let that discourage you.

So what kind of gun do you plan on carrying? And what made you decide you wanted to start carrying?

Anyways, welcome to the site and the cause!

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Sgt_Habz wrote:
Good luck Spartacus. You are starting at a difficult time, openly carrying during the winter. I have a "war belt" from the Marines that can go over my jacket, but it makes it look like I'm flaunting my piece, so I don't wear it. And wearing it on my hip, my jacket gets dangerously close to covering it up. So I'm in the process of hinting to my wife to get me a thigh rig to carry during the winter. Some of our other members have found/made rigs to address this issue, so don't let that discourage you.

So what kind of gun do you plan on carrying? And what made you decide you wanted to start carrying?

Thanks for the welcome Sarge. I posted in another thread that it does not seem to me that incidental coverage of a firearm by seasonal clothing would constitute "intent" to conceal which is required for a conviction. I can safely say that after spending in excess of $10,000 on attorney fees successfully defeating two felony charges and two misdemeanor charges in a two day jury trial, one of the misdemeanor charges being concealed carry.

Since that experience last summer, I am totally fearless concerning this area of my life and would actually welcome a fight from the DA's office and be able to have my attorney totally humiliate them as he did in Monroe county.

I intend on carrying a piece of crap, but reliable Helwan Maadi (clone of a Beretta Brigadier) 9mm that I won't mind having confiscated and held in evidence.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

An easy remedy to your coat concealing your firearm is a small piece of elastic with an alligator clip on each end. Clip the end to the bottom of your coat. Then slide the elastic under your holster and clip the other end to the bottom of your coat on the opposite side of your holster. This will keep your coat edge tucked behind your firearm and not allow the edge of your coat to come over your firearm.
Problem solved.

protias

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
Welcome to OCDO and good luck in your area.

Oh, and I'm Spartacus! :p

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Spartacus wrote:
Sgt_Habz wrote:

Thanks for the welcome Sarge. I posted in another thread that it does not seem to me that incidental coverage of a firearm by seasonal clothing would constitute "intent" to conceal which is required for a conviction. I can safely say that after spending in excess of $10,000 on attorney fees successfully defeating two felony charges and two misdemeanor charges in a two day jury trial, one of the misdemeanor charges being concealed carry.

Since that experience last summer, I am totally fearless concerning this area of my life and would actually welcome a fight from the DA's office and be able to have my attorney totally humiliate them as he did in Monroe county.

I intend on carrying a piece of crap, but reliable Helwan Maadi (clone of a Beretta Brigadier) 9mm that I won't mind having confiscated and held in evidence.

Intent has nothing to do with it! so please be careful.

IE: "I did not intend to speed" but the fact is that you were, either way your most likely being found guilty.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Intent has nothing to do with it! so please be careful.

IE: "I did not intend to speed" but the fact is that you were, either way your most likely being found guilty.
I appreciate the thought brother but from my experience it would be taken into account if the case went to trial. Of course most guys would take the easy way out and just pay the fine.

A better analogy for this case than speeding might be the difference between manslaughter and premeditated murder. A jacket flap incidentally falling over a pistol in no way be construed as "hidden" unless you get unlucky in your jury selection and they are blithering idiots.

As I said, I was found not guilty on two felonies and two misdemeanors involving my use of a gun in a self-defense scenario so I kind of know what I'm talking about and would actually welcome the chance to challenge the law in this regard concerning concealed carry.

Geoff

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
I appreciate the thought brother but from my experience it would be taken into account if the case went to trial. Of course most guys would take the easy way out and just pay the fine.

Welcome to the forum Spartacus. You are among many people here who will stick to their morals and fight an unjust charge rather than just pay the fine.

Geoff