• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suicide Stats

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The anti-2nd group always make a point of mentioning the use of firearms in suicides.For 2006 firearms were used in 1/2 of the sucessful Wisconsin attempts, only because, like firearm use in self defense, it's the most effective method.

Firearm use successful in 307 outof 331 total attempts. Poisoning was successful in 133 out of 3852 total attempts. Suffocation was successful in144 out of 199 total attempts.

http://www.sprc.org/stateinformation/PDF/statedatasheets/wi_datasheet.pdf

protias

imported post

I work near the Hoan Bridge and there were some people who were eating their lunch and saw a guy jump off of it on Friday into the river. The guy lived. :shock:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

protias wrote:
I work near the Hoan Bridge and there were some people who were eating their lunch and saw a guy jump off of it on Friday into the river. The guy lived. :shock:
That looks like it would be a fun jump in the summertime, but hitting water as cold as it is now does not seem appealing to me.

protias

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
protias wrote:
That looks like it would be a fun jump in the summertime, but hitting water as cold as it is now does not seem appealing to me.
Well, the bridge is ~80' tall over the river and the fall should kill you upon impact. That is why I'm surprised he lived.

PT111

imported post

protias wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
protias wrote:
Well, the bridge is ~80' tall over the river and the fall should kill you upon impact. That is why I'm surprised he lived.
An impact on water at 80' is not bad at all. I have done that from a railroad trestle and no problem. Jumping off of a bridge is a terrible way to commit suicide as theimpact would rarely kill you but probably stun or injure you enough that you would drown. Committing suicide by jumping off a bridge shoul be included in drowning deaths as the actual cause is usually the same.

Nutczak

imported post

What would be the terminal velocity someone could reach from an 80' height? What is the acceleration per foot of travel, how many feet would you need to fall before you were to reach the fastect velocity possible?

Now evenif you hit the water wrong at low velocites, there mostl likely would be enough force to break bones and dislocate limbs so you could not swim to the shore, then clothing will also hamper your efforts, and with the water being near freezing, you'll have about 4-5 minutes before you are too stiff to move. (I've been through ice both intentionally, and unintentionally and it is not fun)

I wonder if I could get permission from the city of MKE to have a bungie-jump event of the Hoan bridge? It may make one hell of a fundraiser event!

PT111

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
What would be the terminal velocity someone could reach from an 80' height? What is the acceleration per foot of travel, how many feet would you need to fall before you were to reach the fastect velocity possible?

Now evenif you hit the water wrong at low velocites, there mostl likely would be enough force to break bones and dislocate limbs so you could not swim to the shore, then clothing will also hamper your efforts, and with the water being near freezing, you'll have about 4-5 minutes before you are too stiff to move. (I've been through ice both intentionally, and unintentionally and it is not fun)

I wonder if I could get permission from the city of MKE to have a bungie-jump event of the Hoan bridge? It may make one hell of a fundraiser event!

At 80' your velocity would be about 49 mph which in nowhere close to terminal velocity of about 135 mph or so.

velocity = v = sqrt(2gh) where g=32'/sec and h= height of fall

V= sqrt(2*32*80)= 71.55ft/sec=71.55*3600/5280= 48.76 mph

time = t = sqrt(2h/g) = sqrt( 2*80/32) = 2.24 sec.

135 mph = 198 ft/sec

H= v^2/2*g = 198^2/64 = 612'

This is neglecting wind resistance so consider is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000' feet to reach terminal velocity. Fully open to corrections or rebuttals. :?

Nutczak

imported post

49 MPH? that sounds about reasonable without me doing the math, trying to figure acceleration per foot and resistance.

I have hit the water at that speed more times than I can count, (barefoot skiing, slalom & jumping) But I usually skipped across the top unit part of me stuck in to cause fast deceleration.

Teej

imported post

A typical person *wearing a 20 pound parachute on their back* (which increases sectional density and thus terminal velocity) will hit around 120mph give or take a few when falling in a flat "X" type body position. Without the weight of the chute...probably 110 or so.

Different body positions and clothing can greatly increase this. Someone who's "sit-flying" (intentionally falling in a position similar to sitting in a chair) will drop at around 150mph. The guys who fall in kind of an X or H position..except being "head down" will reach 180-200 or so.

Someone intending on reaching maximum speed and in a slick suit can break 300mph if they know what they're doing.

How long it takes to reach terminal really depends. I'd say between 6 and 10 seconds.

Thanks to wind resistance, we do not accelerate at "9.8m/s^2".

Hoan Bridge is high enough that most people won't jump it twice unless they're either really lucky or know exactly what they're doing.

jenlee

imported post

That was my brother. Can you have the person you know that saw him jump off the Hoan Bridge on Friday the 11th contact me via email. I need to talk to any witnesses to the event. My brother ended up dying and I am looking for closure. Thank you for your help.

Jennifer

email: jmoranfoland@yahoo.com