• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying an AR-15 Carbine

patriot1776

imported post

I do a lot of shooting a local state game area. I usually park along side a road, load up my AR-15 Carbine with a 30 rounder and hang it over my chest using a vickers two-point sling. I also carry a backpack full of ammo/targets/food/water. Sometimes I have to walk a half mile or more down the road to get to the spot where I enter the game area and then I walk a similar distance through the trails in the game area to get to the place where I shoot.

People have driven past me but have never stopped or said anything to me. Once I met a guy pushing a kid in a stroller who was friendly and interested in my AR.

I know that open carrying a loaded pistol is legal in Michigan but I guess my question would be if the same is true of a rifle/shotgun. I assume it is but I just want to be sure.

Thanks,

Mike

BTW, I'm from south east Michigan

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum. You might want to post michigan specific questions in the michigan forum as people there will be able to assist you faster.

But here is my question to you. If you did not OC the rifle, you would conceal it precisely how?

Regards

patriot1776

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Welcome to the forum. You might want to post michigan specific questions in the michigan forum as people there will be able to assist you faster.

But here is my question to you. If you did not OC the rifle, you would conceal it precisely how?

Regards
I'll try the Michigan forum if I can't get good responses here.

As far as carrying it, I guess the only way I could have "concealed" it would be by either using the long gun case it came with from the store or breaking it down in two parts and putting it in the backpack.

My main concern is that it was cocked, locked and loaded. The reason I do this is because people can clearly see that I have it and because of that I fear that they may be more likely to consider stealing it from me. If its ready to go then I'll be prepared if someone decides to try to take it from me.

Thanks for the welcome!

Mike

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The laws of each state are different - you will get much more exposure and better specific answers on the Michigan forum.

Likely as not you will get little of worth in this section of OCDO.

Yata hey

Michigander

imported post

Brighton was the very first place we had an OC meet in Michigan.

I was in Venator's vehicle talking to him before we went into the McDonalds. A cop drove by. He took a look at his large handgun on his dash board and sign he had made that said something like "Open carry exercise your rights" and he kept right on going.

From what I can tell, Brighton is a fairly close knit, somewhat rural community. It's not the sort of place that will tend to be full on anti gunners.

Just the sort of place where long arm OCing is not likely to cause any issues.

Just keep in mind in general that there are 3 listed defenses to brandishing while in possession of a visible firearm. By mighigan law, hunting and official LE use, and according to an Attorney General opinion, a holstered pistol isn't brandishing either.

Carrying a rifle just to carry it has no strong defense against brandishing, so my advice has always been to be ready to make some case law if you push the envelope with long arm OC.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well also consider that the carry of a rifle is a more offensive act than the carry of a handgun. Principally because a rifle is more often used to press an attack, than as a totally defensive weapon. Handguns are defensive in nature and secondary to rifles for attacks. WHen you think about it if you know for certain you will be in a shoot out, you would bring a rifle or shotgun, not a pistol.

It is the perception that a rifle is carried to press an attack that brings the difference in terms of appropriateness.

Regards

Suburban78

imported post

as far as Colorado is concerned,to transport a rifle (any time off privet property, the rifle must be cased and unloaded unless hunting, also a mag with a capacity over 21 round would then classify it as an assault rifle.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Brighton was the very first place we had an OC meet in Michigan.

I was in Venator's vehicle talking to him before we went into the McDonalds. A cop drove by. He took a look at his large handgun on his dash board and sign he had made that said something like "Open carry exercise your rights" and he kept right on going.

From what I can tell, Brighton is a fairly close knit, somewhat rural community. It's not the sort of place that will tend to be full on anti gunners.

Just the sort of place where long arm OCing is not likely to cause any issues.

Just keep in mind in general that there are 3 listed defenses to brandishing while in possession of a visible firearm. By mighigan law, hunting and official LE use, and according to an Attorney General opinion, a holstered pistol isn't brandishing either.

Carrying a rifle just to carry it has no strong defense against brandishing, so my advice has always been to be ready to make some case law if you push the envelope with long arm OC.
Use a sling.