• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK Underfolder as Pistol

EM87

imported post

I know that Kimberguy carries an AK underfolder that's registered as a pistol in MI. I brought this up on another forum and the people there don't think that any AK could ever be registered as a pistol.

Could someone point me in the direction of the MI law(s) that shows that this is legal?

T Vance

imported post

I'm not positive on where to find the law (online), but I recently register my AK as a pistol. The gun must have a pistol grip, the gun in overall length must be between 26' to 30'.

I just removed my buttstock. Once I get some money I plan on putting a folding understock on it. Since I have my CPL, all I had to do was fill out a RI-60 form, and sell the gun to myself (for free). It was that easy.

Kimberguy

imported post

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.421 Definitions.Sec. 1.
As used in this act:

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

office888

imported post

Eh.

I thought about getting the WASR registered, but naahh.

I'll just build a Krinkov pistol if I need a wicked OC weapon. :D

-Richard-

SpringerXDacp

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Kimberguy wrote:
they are in the process of changing this, if you have it registered to you before jan 1, 2010, you will be grandfathered in.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billengrossed/House/pdf/2009-hEBH-4501.pdf
That of course is if the changes pass this legislative term... so far they are in committee.
Not directed to you Autosurgeon...

Out of all the Bills introduced in the last year or two--this one it seems--to be the one I see/read the least about on the gun forums. Is anyone challenging/opposing this: NRA, GOA, SAF, Etc?

With all the folks consisting of only two gun sites--OCDO (Mi) and on MGO--who own rifles and shotguns, classified as pistols under Michigan law, I don't see anyone raising a stink about this Bill.

Other than the Bill still in committee, anyone have further updates/details on this?

What was the circumstances/reasons which leadto the introduction of this Bill?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
so they're getting rid of the 30 inch length thing then?

MCL 28.421

For now, in Michigan, a pistol is defined as:

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

If the new law goes into effect the first of the year, it will be 26 inches or less intead of 30 inches or less.

lil_freak_66

imported post

works for me.

dont have to deal with purchase permits as often that way.

and the grandfathered thing mentioned before means anything currently registered is still a handgun?

T Vance

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
and the grandfathered thing mentioned before means anything currently registered is still a handgun?
Yes. For example, my newly registered as a pistol AK-47 will be still deemed a pistol ifthis bill passes.

T Vance

imported post

What if this bill does pass, but let's say it doesn't pass until March 17th, 2010....

I would think that anything that is registered as a pistol up until March 16th, 2010 would be "grandfathered" in.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
What if this bill does pass, but let's say it doesn't pass until March 17th, 2010....

I would think that anything that is registered as a pistol up until March 16th, 2010 would be "grandfathered" in.
I would say you're correct.

http://www.michiganvotes.org/2009-HB-5038

[*]Introduced by Rep. Kate Ebli (D) on June 3, 2009, to establish that if the definition of “pistol” is revised as proposed by House Bill 5037 so that it applies to a firearm less than 26 inches long, rather than 30 inches, then those with a firearm that falls in that gap would still be allowed to possess, carry or transport the firearm as a pistol.
  • Referred to the House Tourism, Outdoor Recreation, And Natural Resources Committee on June 3, 2009.
  • Reported in the House on June 9, 2009, with the recommendation that the substitute (H-1) be adopted and that the bill then pass.
  • Substitute offered in the House on June 16, 2009, to replace the previous version of the bill with one that revises details but does not change the substance of the bill as previously described. The substitute passed in the House by voice vote on June 16, 2009.
[*]Passed in the House (108 to 0) on June 16, 2009, to establish that if the definition of “pistol” is revised as proposed by House Bill 5037 so that it applies to a firearm less than 26 inches long, rather than 30 inches, then those with a firearm that falls in that gap would still be allowed to possess, carry or transport the firearm as a pistol. [Vote Details and Comments]
[*]Received in the Senate on June 17, 2009.
  • Referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee on June 17, 2009.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I'm not positive on where to find the law (online), but I recently register my AK as a pistol. The gun must have a pistol grip, the gun in overall length must be between 26' to 30'.

I just removed my buttstock. Once I get some money I plan on putting a folding understock on it. Since I have my CPL, all I had to do was fill out a RI-60 form, and sell the gun to myself (for free). It was that easy.

Ok, so what you have is a rifle according to the federal government, but a pistol according to MI.