• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK Underfolder as Pistol

G

imported post

My girlfriend's husband's stepson's wife's boss said he heard from an extremely reliable source that it's on the books already.

Michigander

imported post

I went over the list of bills on Michigan's web page, and can't find anything to suggest that those bills have been fiddled with since June. :?

T Vance

imported post

I just registered my AK as a pistol around 3 weeks ago. They told me at the time it has to be between 26-30 inches. If something was on the books, you'd think they would be aware of it. Then again we are talking about Jackson. The same city that continues to harass the same OCer, over and over again (to be fair though, I went to the Sheriff's office to register my pistol, and the JPD is the one harassing Kimberguy).

Radioman

imported post

OK.. Just got home from the fun store. I had to make them look up MCL 28.421 to convince them to give me an RI-60 for my new Sig556ER and make things legal per the existing laws. Per the website it still lists under 30 inches as of tonight. Nothing denoting any change.

I have sent an email to the person that gave me the information asking for a bill number or further info. If this isn't confirmed it will be the first time that this source has been wrong. But hey everyone is human.

Have to see whats said when I hit Friendly Funland on Monday to turn in the paperwork.

Radioman

bearcreekzeke

imported post

Interesting topic. I have the SIG556ER side folder also, which if memory serves folds down to about 29". If registered as a pistol, it sounds like it can legally be carried uncased and loaded in the vehicle passenger compartment with a CPL, if the stock is folded. I guess you better wait to exit the vehicle, however,before you unfold the stock as that would put you well beyond 30". May need a special rack for the back window to carry it with the stock folded. I'm sure it wouldn't attract much attention. :shock:

G

imported post

bearcreekzeke wrote:
Interesting topic. I have the SIG556ER side folder also, which if memory serves folds down to about 29". If registered as a pistol, it sounds like it can legally be carried uncased and loaded in the vehicle passenger compartment with a CPL, if the stock is folded. I guess you better wait to exit the vehicle, however,before you unfold the stock as that would put you well beyond 30". May need a special rack for the back window to carry it with the stock folded. I'm sure it wouldn't attract much attention. :shock:
Still a pistol with the stock unfolded. It is the fact that it can be fired with the stock folded, not whether it is or is not folded, that makes it a "Michigan Pistol". And of course that when folded it is less than 30" and greater than 26".

The Sig556 folder could also be carried openly without a CPL or concealed with a CPL, just like any other registered pistol in Michigan.

It would be unlawful to own/possess a Sig556 folder that is not registered as a pistol. There are cites of this law elsewhere on this forum.

G

imported post

Radioman wrote:
OK.. Just got home from the fun store. I had to make them look up MCL 28.421 to convince them to give me an RI-60 for my new Sig556ER and make things legal per the existing laws. Per the website it still lists under 30 inches as of tonight. Nothing denoting any change.

I have sent an email to the person that gave me the information asking for a bill number or further info. If this isn't confirmed it will be the first time that this source has been wrong. But hey everyone is human.

Have to see whats said when I hit Friendly Funland on Monday to turn in the paperwork.

Radioman
:question:Any response on that email yet? 01/01/10 is rapidly approaching. What's your source saying? What did you find out anything on Monday, when you turned in your paperwork?:question:

G

imported post

Radioman wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
The legislation hasn't come out of committee. Until it does, and is voted on and passed, we can still register "Michigan pistols". The 01/01/10 date is meaningless. Laws aren't enacted retroactive. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Holiday vacation etc.
I don't have a cite for this yet. I need to get some time to find it, but I was told ( I know not the most reliable) that this was attached to another bill and passed before the holiday break so as to not hold up some federal funds next year seeing as the standalone bill was stalled. Again I do not have a cite on this yet but I kinda trust the source I got this from as he knew I was looking at getting something along this line and he told me for sure get it before 12/31/09 or forget it.

Radioman
Any word from your source on this yet?

G

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Kimberguy wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
T Vance wrote:
I'm not positive on where to find the law (online), but I recently register my AK as a pistol. The gun must have a pistol grip, the gun in overall length must be between 26' to 30'.

I just removed my buttstock. Once I get some money I plan on putting a folding understock on it. Since I have my CPL, all I had to do was fill out a RI-60 form, and sell the gun to myself (for free). It was that easy.

Ok, so what you have is a rifle according to the federal government, but a pistol according to MI.
i believe that the feds classifies it as "Any Other Weapon" is this case, MI allows you to conceal carry it as long as it is registered as a pistol in MI.

If it is a AOW and you have not registered it with the BATFE (just like a machinegun) you are looking at 10 years in a federal prison.
It's still a title 1 firearm and NOT an AOW.. Michigan has its own requirement for pistol registering of a firearm under 30" and over 26".

According to Radioman's source though this law is being changed. He was going to get us a confirmation from his source, but we haven't heard back from him yet and 01/01/10 is almost here.

Any update yet radioman???

Radioman

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Kimberguy wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
T Vance wrote:
I'm not positive on where to find the law (online), but I recently register my AK as a pistol. The gun must have a pistol grip, the gun in overall length must be between 26' to 30'.

I just removed my buttstock. Once I get some money I plan on putting a folding understock on it. Since I have my CPL, all I had to do was fill out a RI-60 form, and sell the gun to myself (for free). It was that easy.

Ok, so what you have is a rifle according to the federal government, but a pistol according to MI.
i believe that the feds classifies it as "Any Other Weapon" is this case, MI allows you to conceal carry it as long as it is registered as a pistol in MI.

If it is a AOW and you have not registered it with the BATFE (just like a machinegun) you are looking at 10 years in a federal prison.
It's still a title 1 firearm and NOT an AOW.. Michigan has its own requirement for pistol registering of a firearm under 30" and over 26".

According to Radioman's source though this law is being changed. He was going to get us a confirmation from his source, but we haven't heard back from him yet and 01/01/10 is almost here.

Any update yet radioman???
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been bouncing in and out of town the past week or so. I found out earlier today that my source also is out of town so no further info from him.

I did a search this afternoon with the help of a very cute Law Student and came up empty on amendments to anything passed in the last 3 months. Also did a look into bills in progress and found HB4501 and HB4502 are or were in the Senate Judicary committee with no action recorded. Seems like the world is in limbo with these bills falling off the face of the earth last June. But it appears that others have already found these and said that. Here's to them staying in limbo land.

I am going to be meeting my Law Student helper again after the new year for coffee so hopefully I can talk her into helping me some more to dig for any answers to this question. Hopefully I will find that I was snowed and given bad information. This would be a first for this source but it appears to be the case so far. :banghead:

Happy New Year to everyone

Radioman

G

imported post

Thanks for the update radioman. I had been searching on this and couldn't find any new developments. I needed to know because I wanted to do another "Michigan Pistol".

It's such a strange law, but it does sorta work to our advantage. However, I don't really care for the registration aspects.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Thanks for the update radioman. I had been searching on this and couldn't find any new developments. I needed to know because I wanted to do another "Michigan Pistol".

It's such a strange law, but it does sorta work to our advantage. However, I don't really care for the registration aspects.

I understand that the amendment would align with other laws (federal) as with the other 49 States,but why is this law being addressed now? Why wasn't it addressed 2 years ago? 5 years? Etc? I asked this question in another thread (no one particular) a while back ago and did not receive a response.

It kinda sucks for folks much like myself who are in the poor house right now and can't afford the Sig and/or Mossy to carry as a pistol with a CPL. But, I do understand the elimination of the otherwise registration.

lil_freak_66

imported post

gutshot wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Kimberguy wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
T Vance wrote:

It's very difficult to follow this thread. Some members are posting about underfolders, some about sidefolders and some about stocks that have been removed. The OP was about an AK that never had a stock. There is a big difference. Everyone needs to be aware that both state law and federal law apply here.
if it never had a stock then wouldnt it be considered a handgun in any state?as it is not designed or redesigned to have a buttstock.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

26.25" with this flash surpressor. With the original... it'd be a tad sort of 25". WouldI carry this for a pistol? No way in hell.

mikestilly

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
26.25" with this flash surpressor.  With the original... it'd be a tad sort of 25".  Would I carry this for a pistol? No way in hell.

Why not looks good to OC to me :D You and Kimberguy would go good together with his AK.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
26.25" with this flash surpressor. With the original... it'd be a tad sort of 25". WouldI carry this for a pistol? No way in hell.

Why not looks good to OC to me :D You and Kimberguy would go good together with his AK.
I carry a 1911 for self defense... not to show off. Y'all are in the same league as that kwikrnu goof in TN with this nonsense.

mikestilly

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
26.25" with this flash surpressor.  With the original... it'd be a tad sort of 25".  Would I carry this for a pistol? No way in hell.

I carry a 1911 for self defense... not to show off.  Y'all are in the same league as that kwikrnu goof in TN with this nonsense.

Defending yourself with a rifle is showing off? Interesting based on your reasoning carrying a rifle couldnt be for self defense? Absurd!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

No dude... what's absurd is callin' an AK folder with a 75rd drum mag a pistol... or any AK a 'pistol' and traipsing around with it in Wally World or anywhere else.

Sure a rifle or anything else can be used for self defense... but what's the point? Common sense has taken a freakin' hike with some of you people! GROW UP!

mikestilly

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
No dude... what's absurd is callin' an AK folder with a 75rd drum mag a pistol... or any AK a 'pistol' and traipsing around with it in Wally World or anywhere else.

Sure a rifle or anything else can be used for self defense... but what's the point?  Common sense has taken a freakin' hike with some of you people! GROW UP!

OK so I see I need to grow up if I don't agree with your comments. Remember this is the Michigan forum. SBR's are illegal here so we have no choice but the register them as a pistol and to me if it works it works better then donating your hard earn money to the government for TAX STAMPS which I consider totally unconstitutional. Secondly OC'ing is OC'ing. To be honest I'd rather be concealing a H&K MP5 if I'm stuck in a shootout then a 1911 any day. Sorry but you're quite rude telling people to grow up because they disagree with you. You need to grow a pair. So I hope you enjoy paying your TAX. I'd see it as being smart as to avoid liberal taxation polities of our federal government.