Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally moving back to a Gold Star State

Post imported post

Been almost a year that I've been living in Maryland. After having lived in some very gun friendly states previously (AZ, VT, etc) it's a heck of a shock to live in MD. Thankfully I'll be moving to VA in the next 3 weeks. Will be working in Harrisonburg, but will probably end up living in Staunton. (BTW for those that know, is it pronounced "Stanton" or "Stonton"?)

Of course this means that I'll now need to properly save up to rearm myself after having to be disarmed for a year.

BTW, has anyone had any problems at the Walmart in Harrisonburg (the on off Burgess St)? If you have, especially if it's recent, send me a PM, I'd like to discuss that so that it can be fixed.

Post imported post

(BTW for those that know, is it pronounced "Stanton" or "Stonton"?)

"Staaaaaan-ten", with a nasality all it's own. In a hurry, "St'ant'-en", like thepicnic insect. Never "Stawn-tawn".

Welcome to Virginia. Remember, thanks to former Gov. Wilder there is a law that you must buy one gun a month.

Go join VCDL www.vcdl.org and get involved in the gun show tables. For those that know, we are losing one of the stalwart suporters of guns, VCDL, and gun shows. He needs to be replaced. The shoes are not big, but do need to be filled.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Welcome to the Valley and get used to every time you order something by phone to spelling it for them automatically.

I say it something like Stant'n.

Stan

Post imported post

raftgyde wrote:
    Welcome to the Valley and get used to every time you order something by phone to spelling it for them automatically.

I say it something like Stant'n.

Stan
    Why then did they put a "u" in the name of the town?

Eck. Oh well. It's good to be back in the area. I went to High School in Front Royal (the private school there, those of you in the area know which one I'm talking about) many years ago and it'll be nice to get back to the area.

BTW, for those of you that like to buy your ammo at Walmart, be warned, they are running low. This is from an inside source, they are overriding and canceling all manual orders of ammo (except shotgun shells) and are only sending a bare minimum. Their suppliers just can't keep up with the demand.

Post imported post

Welcome to the Commonwealth!

I go to JMU (well I did...now I go to Mason) and carried in that Wal-Mart several times with no issues at all. I sure am going to miss living in the valley.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Floor Walker wrote:
    It was named for Lady Rebecca Staunton, wife of Sir William Gooch, a colonial governor of Virginia. From 1738 to 1770 it was the capital of what was then the Northwest Territory.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/staunton

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Floor Walker wrote:
    It was named for Lady Rebecca Staunton, wife of Sir William Gooch, a colonial governor of Virginia. From 1738 to 1770 it was the capital of what was then the Northwest Territory.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/staunton

Yata hey
    Well, they say you learn something new everyday! Today is no different...your explanation also answered a question I've had for a while now...and now I know where Goochland'sname came from.

Welcome to Virginia Floor Walker...I bet your glad to beleaving the People's Republik of MD.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I pronounce it Stawn-ton, like awning.

Then again, where I come from Parham Road would be pronounced "Par-hum", not "Pear-um" and Powhite would be "Pow-hite" not "Po-white"...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Then again, where I come from Parham Road would be pronounced "Par-hum", not "Pear-um" and Powhite would be "Pow-hite" not "Po-white"...
    Same here. I was taught to pronounce words as they are spelled.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Actually, Pow-Hite is the proper pronuciation. Good luck getting yhe word out.

Floor Walker, welcome and enjoy the Valley. That's where I grew up (Only at the foot of the mountain)

Another interesting name is Montevideo, pronounced Mont a video..You can tell a person from the north (yankee)

They call it Mont ah vid a o

There is a big Amish/Mennonite influence in the area.

Places like Otterbein
    Pronounced Otter Bine, not Otter bean, are common

You'll learn and the further you get into the mountain, the better the local color gets. When you hear about the Branch....they are referring to Briery Branch. It's the last bastion of civilization (If you can call Branchers that) before getting to Hone Quarry, then further up, Reddish Knob then Flagpole Knob.
    Then if you like getting out in Gods country past Flagpole, to Dunkle Hollow and on to Skidmore Fork.

These are not on the tourist maps and if you get lost up there, someone may find you in Spring Turkey season.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

So how do you pronounce "knife" and "gnome?"

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Every place I've lived has "unique" ways of pronouncing local places. I think its a not-too-subtle way for locals to sort out who the "come-heres" are.

As every one here knows, its Po-Kos'n not Po-Quo_son. And Warwick Boulevard is often pronounced War'ick. Norfolk is often Nah-***. Someone told me the old chant goes: "We don't drink, naw smoke, (city name here)!" Sorry.

Oh, and you never say "youse guys", you say "you all" or y'all. Occasionally the latter has a possessive form, as in "Is that y'all's pickup truck?"

Post imported post

raftgyde wrote:
    ... I say it something like Stant'n. ...
    Me, too, but I don't think there's any second "T" in it at all, just the apostrophe.

Welcome back to civilization.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

Thayn whah the hail don'chall doit?

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    ProShooter wrote: Same here. I was taught to pronounce words as they are spelled.
    How do you pronounce Bumpass Va then?

Post imported post

"BUMP-ayass", of course. Naturally, that's not "Bump-arse", which would be pronounced, "Bump-ahhse"

Post imported post

Try McGaheysville, Va. I bet not more than 2 of you get it right.

Post imported post

raftgyde wrote:
    Mik-gak-ez-vil

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    raftgyde wrote:
    Mik-gak-ez-vil

Yata hey
    ma gak ees ville

That one always made me laugh with the flatlanders.
    Ma gay ees ville

Post imported post

I'da said, "M'gaysville"; Now, keep in mind that one of my residences is near a town, the name of which has almost no vowels: "War'n'tn" (it' not really a "T" as in WarrenTon, it's really a glottal stop/plosive, such as in the Manhattan version of "sa'ellite"; it's as if the Hebrew consonant, Aleph, were substituted for the T.)

Post imported post

Remember, thanks to former Gov. Wilder there is a law that you must buy one gun a month.
    Dang, I've overdone it.... I'm at 4 for the month so far.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to the information that Powhite gets its name from the residents of the many trailer parks in the area...

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Remember, thanks to former Gov. Wilder there is a law that you must buy one gun a month.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to the information that Powhite gets its name from the residents of the many trailer parks in the area...
    Funny... see the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powhite_Parkway
    They've got it all covered!

TFred

Pronunciation

The Powhite Parkway is named for the nearby Powhite Creek which is likely an eponym for the Indian chief or tribe Powhatan. References to the creek by this name have been found in records more than 300 years old, and the creek probably was named by Native Americans who were in the area long before colonial settlers arrived in the 17th century. Known to have strong opinions about the proper pronunciation of this expressway and creek, native Richmonders have developed two forms for saying the name:
    • PAU-hite (in the same pronunciation and emphasis as the word "powder")
    • PO-white (in the same pronunciation and emphasis as the word "potion")
    Though radio station traffic reporters tend to favor the former pronunciation (which is closer to the contemporary, though not historic, pronunciation of Powhatan), most native Richmonders hold firmly onto the latter.
    In particular, those who prefer the former pronunciation sometimes deride the other as suggestive of "white trash," as the sound resembles certain dialects' articulation of the words "poor white". (See the etymology of poboy for an analogous situation.)
    The Richmond Metropolitan Authority (RMA), owner of the toll road section that falls within the City of Richmond, promotes "POW-hite" as the official pronunciation of the parkway. [1]

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:

As a proud south-of -the-river resident , I resent this remark! Virtually no trailers anywhere along the Po-white Parkway. (been calling it that since it was built).

But y'all left out my favorite little town on the Maury River, BOONA VISTA.

etah yeah, it's Stan-ton or Stant'n, never Stawnton or Stawnt'n

Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

Pardon me, but I think that's "BYoona Vista".

Post imported post

Just to be clear, it is NOT Bwaina Veesta!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast