• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally moving back to a Gold Star State

Floor Walker

imported post

Been almost a year that I've been living in Maryland. After having lived in some very gun friendly states previously (AZ, VT, etc) it's a heck of a shock to live in MD. Thankfully I'll be moving to VA in the next 3 weeks. Will be working in Harrisonburg, but will probably end up living in Staunton. (BTW for those that know, is it pronounced "Stanton" or "Stonton"?)

Of course this means that I'll now need to properly save up to rearm myself after having to be disarmed for a year.

BTW, has anyone had any problems at the Walmart in Harrisonburg (the on off Burgess St)? If you have, especially if it's recent, send me a PM, I'd like to discuss that so that it can be fixed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

(BTW for those that know, is it pronounced "Stanton" or "Stonton"?)

"Staaaaaan-ten", with a nasality all it's own. In a hurry, "St'ant'-en", like thepicnic insect. Never "Stawn-tawn".

Welcome to Virginia. Remember, thanks to former Gov. Wilder there is a law that you must buy one gun a month.:lol:

Go join VCDL www.vcdl.org and get involved in the gun show tables. For those that know, we are losing one of the stalwart suporters of guns, VCDL, and gun shows. He needs to be replaced. The shoes are not big, but do need to be filled.

stay safe.

skidmark

raftgyde

imported post

Welcome to the Valley and get used to every time you order something by phone to spelling it for them automatically.

[align=center]
Welcome_by_Artush.gif

[/align]
I say it something like Stant'n.

Stan

Floor Walker

imported post

raftgyde wrote:
Welcome to the Valley and get used to every time you order something by phone to spelling it for them automatically.

[align=center]
Welcome_by_Artush.gif

[/align]
I say it something like Stant'n.

Stan
Why then did they put a "u" in the name of the town? :banghead:

Eck. Oh well. It's good to be back in the area. I went to High School in Front Royal (the private school there, those of you in the area know which one I'm talking about) many years ago and it'll be nice to get back to the area.

BTW, for those of you that like to buy your ammo at Walmart, be warned, they are running low. This is from an inside source, they are overriding and canceling all manual orders of ammo (except shotgun shells) and are only sending a bare minimum. Their suppliers just can't keep up with the demand.

hunter45

imported post

Welcome to the Commonwealth! :)

I go to JMU (well I did...now I go to Mason) and carried in that Wal-Mart several times with no issues at all. I sure am going to miss living in the valley. :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:
Why then did they put a "u" in the name of the town? :banghead:
It was named for Lady Rebecca Staunton, wife of Sir William Gooch, a colonial governor of Virginia. From 1738 to 1770 it was the capital of what was then the Northwest Territory.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/staunton

Yata hey

Well, they say you learn something new everyday! Today is no different...your explanation also answered a question I've had for a while now...and now I know where Goochland'sname came from.

Welcome to Virginia Floor Walker...I bet your glad to beleaving the People's Republik of MD.

darthmord

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I pronounce it Stawn-ton, like awning.

Then again, where I come from Parham Road would be pronounced "Par-hum", not "Pear-um" and Powhite would be "Pow-hite" not "Po-white"...
Same here. I was taught to pronounce words as they are spelled.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Then again, where I come from Parham Road would be pronounced "Par-hum", not "Pear-um" and Powhite would be "Pow-hite" not "Po-white"...
Actually, Pow-Hite is the proper pronuciation. Good luck getting yhe word out.

Floor Walker, welcome and enjoy the Valley. That's where I grew up (Only at the foot of the mountain)

Another interesting name is Montevideo, pronounced Mont a video..You can tell a person from the north (yankee):lol:

They call it Mont ah vid a o

There is a big Amish/Mennonite influence in the area.

Places like Otterbein
Pronounced Otter Bine, not Otter bean, are common

You'll learn and the further you get into the mountain, the better the local color gets. When you hear about the Branch....they are referring to Briery Branch. It's the last bastion of civilization (If you can call Branchers that) before getting to Hone Quarry, then further up, Reddish Knob then Flagpole Knob.
Then if you like getting out in Gods country past Flagpole, to Dunkle Hollow and on to Skidmore Fork.

These are not on the tourist maps and if you get lost up there, someone may find you in Spring Turkey season.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

darthmord wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

So how do you pronounce "knife" and "gnome?" :)

Yata hey

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Every place I've lived has "unique" ways of pronouncing local places. I think its a not-too-subtle way for locals to sort out who the "come-heres" are.

As every one here knows, its Po-Kos'n not Po-Quo_son. And Warwick Boulevard is often pronounced War'ick. Norfolk is often Nah-fuk. Someone told me the old chant goes: "We don't drink, naw smoke, (city name here)!" Sorry. :uhoh:

Oh, and you never say "youse guys", you say "you all" or y'all. Occasionally the latter has a possessive form, as in "Is that y'all's pickup truck?" ;)

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

raftgyde wrote:
... I say it something like Stant'n. ...
Me, too, but I don't think there's any second "T" in it at all, just the apostrophe.

Welcome back to civilization.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Thayn whah the hail don'chall doit?

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

"BUMP-ayass", of course. Naturally, that's not "Bump-arse", which would be pronounced, "Bump-ahhse"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
raftgyde wrote:
Try McGaheysville, Va. I bet not more than 2 of you get it right.
MERRY_CHRISTMAS_by_Emotikonz.gif
Mik-gak-ez-vil :)

Yata hey
ma gak ees ville

That one always made me laugh with the flatlanders.
Ma gay ees ville:lol:

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'da said, "M'gaysville"; Now, keep in mind that one of my residences is near a town, the name of which has almost no vowels: "War'n'tn" (it' not really a "T" as in WarrenTon, it's really a glottal stop/plosive, such as in the Manhattan version of "sa'ellite"; it's as if the Hebrew consonant, Aleph, were substituted for the T.)