• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally moving back to a Gold Star State

zoom6zoom

imported post

Remember, thanks to former Gov. Wilder there is a law that you must buy one gun a month.

Dang, I've overdone it.... I'm at 4 for the month so far.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to the information that Powhite gets its name from the residents of the many trailer parks in the area...

TFred

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Remember, thanks to former Gov. Wilder there is a law that you must buy one gun a month.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to the information that Powhite gets its name from the residents of the many trailer parks in the area...
Funny... see the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powhite_Parkway
They've got it all covered!

TFred

Pronunciation

The Powhite Parkway is named for the nearby Powhite Creek which is likely an eponym for the Indian chief or tribe Powhatan. References to the creek by this name have been found in records more than 300 years old, and the creek probably was named by Native Americans who were in the area long before colonial settlers arrived in the 17th century. Known to have strong opinions about the proper pronunciation of this expressway and creek, native Richmonders have developed two forms for saying the name:
  • PAU-hite (in the same pronunciation and emphasis as the word "powder")
  • PO-white (in the same pronunciation and emphasis as the word "potion")
Though radio station traffic reporters tend to favor the former pronunciation (which is closer to the contemporary, though not historic, pronunciation of Powhatan), most native Richmonders hold firmly onto the latter.
In particular, those who prefer the former pronunciation sometimes deride the other as suggestive of "white trash," as the sound resembles certain dialects' articulation of the words "poor white". (See the etymology of poboy for an analogous situation.)
The Richmond Metropolitan Authority (RMA), owner of the toll road section that falls within the City of Richmond, promotes "POW-hite" as the official pronunciation of the parkway. [1]

riverrat10k

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:

As a proud south-of -the-river resident , I resent this remark! Virtually no trailers anywhere along the Po-white Parkway. (been calling it that since it was built).

But y'all left out my favorite little town on the Maury River, BOONA VISTA.

eta:eek:h yeah, it's Stan-ton or Stant'n, never Stawnton or Stawnt'n

raftgyde

imported post

Just to be clear, it is NOT Bwaina Veesta!
Happy_Christmas_by_mazka.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

raftgyde wrote:
All right, here's one for you Richmonder's that I've always wondered about:

Manakin-Sabot
Am_I_poisonous__by_Ionixis.gif

Just the way it looks - Man'-a-kin Sab'-ot

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]SABOT, Goochland County [/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]This Post Office was established under the name Sabbot Island on July 29, 1870. The name was changed to Sabot Island on December 4, 1883. On January 14, 1903 the name was changed to Sabot. The place was named for the island formed by two creeks and having the shape of a wooden shoe (French sabot). Looking at a topographic map for Goochland County a shoe seemed to be formed by Dover Creek and the unnamed creek between the former and Genito Creek. We must suppose that the name had been located here before the Post Office was established [note: many Huguenots moved here from Manakin Town, across the James]. The French element in the population should have diminished or have been assimilated by 1870. [The area is now known as Manakin-Sabot.][/font]

http://manakin.addr.com/VAplaces.html

Yata hey