Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: What should I get?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    I can't decide!!! I went to the gun store yesterday and saw sooo many things I liked. G19, G23, Rock Island 1911 .45 ACP, Para 1911 .45 ACP, Springfeild XD 9mm, XD .40 S&W. What do I get?

    This will be my firstcenterfirehandgun, I only own a Colt SA .22 mag. I've shot an old .45 1911, Taurus 9mm(the Beretta copy), .357 revolvers(so recoil is not a problem) and I loved them all.

    Now I've never shot a Glock, but the 19 fits my hand soo good, as soon as I pick it up the sights line up and it's right on target. I've also never shot the XD but it feels pretty good.

    I don't need a bunch or bells and whistles either, but being able to attach a light would be nice.

    I want this gun for home/vehicle defense, possible open carry, and fun at the range. I don't want to go much higher than $500, but I want a reliable gun with good stopping power. I want a good round but I don't want to spend a whole paycheck to go shoot at the range. Should I get a 9mm, .40, or .45? I'm leaning towards the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP.

    Thanks alot!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    266

    Post imported post

    Glock, Springfield Armory, Rock Island... Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads...

    Try 'em all out then decide!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Mississippian wrote:
    Glock, Springfield Armory, Rock Island... Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads...

    Try 'em all out then decide!
    To be honest I love the looks and history of a 1911 but the G19 fits my hand very good. So I really don't know what to try first.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603

    Post imported post

    If it begins with 4 and ends with a 5, it will likely do the job.

    Too many out there to recommend - its gotta fit your hands, mind and pocketbook - go hands on with as many as possible.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    If it begins with 4 and ends with a 5, it will likely do the job.

    Too many out there to recommend - its gotta fit your hands, mind and pocketbook - go hands on with as many as possible.

    Yata hey
    Well I'll only get a .45 if it's a 1911. From what I've heard I should go with either a Para Ordnance GI Expert or a Rock Island Armory for my price range. And I'm having a really tuff time deciding if I want a Glock19/23 or a 1911. I love both of them, so I think when I go back after my gun purchase permit comes in I'll pick up both of them and handle them extensivley. I'm going to check and see how easily my thumb can reach the mag release and the slide release and also see how they point in my hand. And I try a test I heard some people talking about on another forum, they say pick it up and point it with your eyes closed, then open your eyes and see how the sights line up.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    Mississippian wrote:
    Glock, Springfield Armory, Rock Island... Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads...

    Try 'em all out then decide!
    Anybody know a range that's next door to a singles bar?

    Seriously, you haven't given enough information for anyone to give meaningful advice. Most important, what is your intended use? It has often been said that there is no perfect gun, only the one that comes closest to what you need at the moment. That's why a few people here own more than one.

    For example, a full-size 1911 has a hell of a lot going for it, but if you're slogging through a swamp, you might want to be carrying something lighter and less needy of maintenance. A G19 has a lot going for it, but if your goal is to knock as many bowling pins off a table 25 yds away in the shortest time possible, maybe it isn't your first choice.


  7. #7
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    I can't decide!!! I went to the gun store yesterday and saw sooo many things I liked. G19, G23, Rock Island 1911 .45 ACP, Para 1911 .45 ACP, Springfeild XD 9mm, XD .40 S&W. What do I get?

    This will be my firstcenterfirehandgun, I only own a Colt SA .22 mag. I've shot an old .45 1911, Taurus 9mm(the Beretta copy), .357 revolvers(so recoil is not a problem) and I loved them all.

    Now I've never shot a Glock, but the 19 fits my hand soo good, as soon as I pick it up the sights line up and it's right on target. I've also never shot the XD but it feels pretty good.

    I don't need a bunch or bells and whistles either, but being able to attach a light would be nice.

    I want this gun for home/vehicle defense, possible open carry, and fun at the range. I don't want to go much higher than $500, but I want a reliable gun with good stopping power. I want a good round but I don't want to spend a whole paycheck to go shoot at the range. Should I get a 9mm, .40, or .45? I'm leaning towards the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP.

    Thanks alot!
    While this is very hard for those in your mindset, take your time, don't be made to feel rushed, handle all of the candidate handguns you have mentioned plus a few others, and if possible, try to rent some at a range to see how they are.

    I have two 1911's (Kimber and Springfield Armory), a number of Glocks (including the G19 and G23), and an XD40. These are by no means the extent of my collection, but I mention them to give you a point of reference for my response.

    All are fine guns. I carry one of my Glock 23's. It is my primary carry gun, but there are others I own which also reside in my carry stable. Like you, it feels fine in my hand, comes up naturally with quick sight alignment, and handles excellently. The reason I don't carry my 1911's is because I am not a fan of carrying in Condition One (also called cocked and locked). It's not the gun, it's me - and that's Ok with me because I accept the fact of my discomfort with this mode of carry.

    I find the XD40 not to come up as quickly for me as my Glock 23's and my Glock 19 and I have more lost time acquiring a sight picture with it. Otherwise, it's a great shooter. However, the XD40 magazines are a PITA to load.

    So spend time handling your selections as you narrow them down. Try to fire them all if you can. And as for caliber, from the list of your requirements and concerns, perhaps the 9mm would be your better choice.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    architect wrote:
    Mississippian wrote:
    Glock, Springfield Armory, Rock Island... Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads...

    Try 'em all out then decide!
    Anybody know a range that's next door to a singles bar?

    Seriously, you haven't given enough information for anyone to give meaningful advice. Most important, what is your intended use? It has often been said that there is no perfect gun, only the one that comes closest to what you need at the moment. That's why a few people here own more than one.

    For example, a full-size 1911 has a hell of a lot going for it, but if you're slogging through a swamp, you might want to be carrying something lighter and less needy of maintenance. A G19 has a lot going for it, but if your goal is to knock as many bowling pins off a table 25 yds away in the shortest time possible, maybe it isn't your first choice.

    "I want this gun for home/vehicle defense, possible open carry, and fun at the range." I think they would all do a great job at this and that's why I can't seem to narrow down my list.


  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    I can't decide!!! I went to the gun store yesterday and saw sooo many things I liked. G19, G23, Rock Island 1911 .45 ACP, Para 1911 .45 ACP, Springfeild XD 9mm, XD .40 S&W. What do I get?

    This will be my firstcenterfirehandgun, I only own a Colt SA .22 mag. I've shot an old .45 1911, Taurus 9mm(the Beretta copy), .357 revolvers(so recoil is not a problem) and I loved them all.

    Now I've never shot a Glock, but the 19 fits my hand soo good, as soon as I pick it up the sights line up and it's right on target. I've also never shot the XD but it feels pretty good.

    I don't need a bunch or bells and whistles either, but being able to attach a light would be nice.

    I want this gun for home/vehicle defense, possible open carry, and fun at the range. I don't want to go much higher than $500, but I want a reliable gun with good stopping power. I want a good round but I don't want to spend a whole paycheck to go shoot at the range. Should I get a 9mm, .40, or .45? I'm leaning towards the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP.

    Thanks alot!
    While this is very hard for those in your mindset, take your time, don't be made to feel rushed, handle all of the candidate handguns you have mentioned plus a few others, and if possible, try to rent some at a range to see how they are.

    I have two 1911's (Kimber and Springfield Armory), a number of Glocks (including the G19 and G23), and an XD40. These are by no means the extent of my collection, but I mention them to give you a point of reference for my response.

    All are fine guns. I carry one of my Glock 23's. It is my primary carry gun, but there are others I own which also reside in my carry stable. Like you, it feels fine in my hand, comes up naturally with quick sight alignment, and handles excellently. The reason I don't carry my 1911's is because I am not a fan of carrying in Condition One (also called cocked and locked). It's not the gun, it's me - and that's Ok with me because I accept the fact of my discomfort with this mode of carry.

    I find the XD40 not to come up as quickly for me as my Glock 23's and my Glock 19 and I have more lost time acquiring a sight picture with it. Otherwise, it's a great shooter. However, the XD40 magazines are a PITA to load.

    So spend time handling your selections as you narrow them down. Try to fire them all if you can. And as for caliber, from the list of your requirements and concerns, perhaps the 9mm would be your better choice.
    Thanks for your detailed post, I'll take all that into consideration. But I've narrowed it down as far as I could, now I just gotta choose.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sedro, Washington, USA
    Posts
    533

    Post imported post

    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    Mississippian wrote:
    Glock, Springfield Armory, Rock Island... Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads...

    Try 'em all out then decide!
    To be honest I love the looks and history of a 1911 but the G19 fits my hand very good. So I really don't know what to try first.
    All of the options you've laid out for yourself will fill the needs you mentioned just fine. IMHO, you should fondle them every chance you get for a couple weeks. Use it as an excuse to check out the local shops and see which one you want to give your business to. Because of the quote above, I'd say you've narrowed it down to Glock or RIA 1911 as far as cool factor. That's fine, go with a gun that you'll be proud of and enjoy mostif the differences between Glock (simple battery of arms) and 1911 (more complex) don't have you leaning one way or the other. You could also try out other brands like CZ or Beretta, et cetera.

    Most of all, take your time. The more research you do, the more informed your decision will be. Look at pictures online, think about caliber and cost of feeding the weapon, weight, capacity, materials... figure out where your priorities lie and remember that you'll own more guns in the future so you don't have to compromise and buy a "good all around" gun if you don't want to.

  11. #11
    Regular Member UtahRSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    Previous advice to try out the various kinds you're interested in, is good.

    You say the Glock 19 comes up right on target for you. I think that is tremendously important. My experience is that Glock doesn't do that for me, which is why I don't have one. But the1911 and theXDm and XD's do point well for me. If I were you, I'd strongly considerthe Glock if that's whatpoints best for you.

    Just as an aside, the Ruger P95 (and I understand that's not one you're considering) seemed to practically point itself for me. I just didn't like the DA/SA trigger, so I sold it. But what a shooter! I hope to try the new Ruger SR9 soon, and if it points for me like the P95, I'd put it on my hope-ta'-get-it list.

    I love an accurate gun, but just as important to me is the way it feels in my hand and points for me, and whether I like the trigger pull. Good luck in making your decision. Isn't it fun?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Thanks alot Kito and Utah, these forums are really helping me decide. After factoring in ammo costs, capacity, reliability reports, and how they fit my hand I've narrowed it down further. I think now I'll focus on either a G19 or a G23, both the same size but I just have to decide if I want 9mm or .40S&W. I will look at the XD's again though just because they are very similar to the Glocks. I fondled both quite a bit the other day and the XD seemed like a really nice gun, but nothing really stuck out to me kinda like the Glockdid.

  13. #13
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    Thanks alot Kito and Utah, these forums are really helping me decide. After factoring in ammo costs, capacity, reliability reports, and how they fit my hand I've narrowed it down further. I think now I'll focus on either a G19 or a G23, both the same size but I just have to decide if I want 9mm or .40S&W. I will look at the XD's again though just because they are very similar to the Glocks. I fondled both quite a bit the other day and the XD seemed like a really nice gun, but nothing really stuck out to me kinda like the Glockdid.
    Since you liked the XD platform, I would have suggested looking at the M&P Smith and Wesson in 9mm or .40, except for the fact that it is a little more expensive. Great feeling in the hand, though.

    As for the Glock 19 vs the Glock 23, as you mentioned they are the same size and it just comes down to caliber. Your criteria seemed to center more around a defensive firearm than anything else and for that reason, the G23 is going to have the edge. If, on the other hand, you want something to take to the range a lot or for some casual plinking, the G19 may be a better choice.

    Unfortunately, these two guns open up the possibility of a "caliber war" between the diehard 9mm fans and those who believe the .40 is the end all in pistol rounds. Lord knows, there's enough of those battles on this site. And for that reason, my suggestion is to see which one of these guns you shoot the best. With which gun are you more accurate? Which one enables you to deliver quick follow up shots? Perhaps those factors, which are very important, may help you with your final decision.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    As for the Glock 19 vs the Glock 23, as you mentioned they are the same size and it just comes down to caliber. Your criteria seemed to center more around a defensive firearm than anything else and for that reason, the G23 is going to have the edge. If, on the other hand, you want something to take to the range a lot or for some casual plinking, the G19 may be a better choice.

    Unfortunately, these two guns open up the possibility of a "caliber war" between the diehard 9mm fans and those who believe the .40 is the end all in pistol rounds. Lord knows, there's enough of those battles on this site. And for that reason, my suggestion is to see which one of these guns you shoot the best. With which gun are you more accurate? Which one enables you to deliver quick follow up shots? Perhaps those factors, which are very important, may help you with your final decision.
    I totally agree, now I have shot a 9mm before, however it wasn't a Glock. The 9mm is very managable when it comes to recoil, I imagine the .40 won't be too much more. Also I've looked at the M&P's but that's just a little more than I want to spend.

  15. #15
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    As for the Glock 19 vs the Glock 23, as you mentioned they are the same size and it just comes down to caliber. Your criteria seemed to center more around a defensive firearm than anything else and for that reason, the G23 is going to have the edge. If, on the other hand, you want something to take to the range a lot or for some casual plinking, the G19 may be a better choice.

    Unfortunately, these two guns open up the possibility of a "caliber war" between the diehard 9mm fans and those who believe the .40 is the end all in pistol rounds. Lord knows, there's enough of those battles on this site. And for that reason, my suggestion is to see which one of these guns you shoot the best. With which gun are you more accurate? Which one enables you to deliver quick follow up shots? Perhaps those factors, which are very important, may help you with your final decision.
    I totally agree, now I have shot a 9mm before, however it wasn't a Glock. The 9mm is very managable when it comes to recoil, I imagine the .40 won't be too much more. Also I've looked at the M&P's but that's just a little more than I want to spend.
    With all of this said, discussed, and put out there for your examination, there is one other "group" of factors which with a defensive handgun, are absolutes. They are, in their order of prominence;

    o Reliability - The gun MUST go bang when it is suppose to. If it is not reliable and fails this requirement, then all else is moot.

    o Practical Accuracy - This is the ability of the gun and shooter to deliver rounds to target consistently and dependability. If you and your gun cannot do this, the last item on this list is moot.

    o Power - The cartridge must have sufficient power to deliver a bullet to your assailant's vitals with enough energy to inflict damage sufficient enough to end the attack as quickly as possible.


    I mention these items because I am pretty sure that a lot of people new to this culture overlook some or all of these factors. They are all critical when choosing a defensive sidearm. You should always keep the first two items in mind when shopping for your gun. The third one is also very important, but I place the most importance on the first item. Reliability is an absolute must with both the gun and the ammunition selected for use. The loudest sound in the world will be a click if your gun/ammo doesn't do its job.

    Of course, there are no guarantees with any gun as to its reliability; there is only a track record from which we can gain confidence. I hope this helps you.


    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    As for the Glock 19 vs the Glock 23, as you mentioned they are the same size and it just comes down to caliber. Your criteria seemed to center more around a defensive firearm than anything else and for that reason, the G23 is going to have the edge. If, on the other hand, you want something to take to the range a lot or for some casual plinking, the G19 may be a better choice.

    Unfortunately, these two guns open up the possibility of a "caliber war" between the diehard 9mm fans and those who believe the .40 is the end all in pistol rounds. Lord knows, there's enough of those battles on this site. And for that reason, my suggestion is to see which one of these guns you shoot the best. With which gun are you more accurate? Which one enables you to deliver quick follow up shots? Perhaps those factors, which are very important, may help you with your final decision.
    I totally agree, now I have shot a 9mm before, however it wasn't a Glock. The 9mm is very managable when it comes to recoil, I imagine the .40 won't be too much more. Also I've looked at the M&P's but that's just a little more than I want to spend.
    With all of this said, discussed, and put out there for your examination, there is one other "group" of factors which with a defensive handgun, are absolutes. They are, in their order of prominence;

    o Reliability - The gun MUST go bang when it is suppose to. If it is not reliable and fails this requirement, then all else is moot.

    o Practical Accuracy - This is the ability of the gun and shooter to deliver rounds to target consistently and dependability. If you and your gun cannot do this, the last item on this list is moot.

    o Power - The cartridge must have sufficient power to deliver a bullet to your assailant's vitals with enough energy to inflict damage sufficient enough to end the attack as quickly as possible.


    I mention these items because I am pretty sure that a lot of people new to this culture overlook some or all of these factors. They are all critical when choosing a defensive sidearm. You should always keep the first two items in mind when shopping for your gun. The third one is also very important, but I place the most importance on the first item. Reliability is an absolute must with both the gun and the ammunition selected for use. The loudest sound in the world will be a click if your gun/ammo doesn't do its job.

    Of course, there are no guarantees with any gun as to its reliability; there is only a track record from which we can gain confidence. I hope this helps you.



    That is all very very true, and yes this will help me make my decision. I really want a 1911 and I absoultley love the design and the stopping power. But your right, I'm not counting on the awesome looks of the firearm to stop the attack, I've got to depend on the gun, and how well I can shoot it. So as much as I want to 1911 for it's "cool factor", I think the most practical solution for my need is the Glock 23. The Glock 19 fits my hand great, and the G23 is the same size, just a higher caliber, so I think it would make a great choice.Thanks!

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    Seniordep2010,

    I would suggest you find a shooting range that rents guns. That way you can actually FIRE the guns you are interested in, and see how you like them.

    I've handled a LOT of guns in shops (and subsequently purchased them) that FELT good in my hand, but when you actually start putting rounds through them, they turned out to be not so comfortable, controllable, or accurate. You need to actually SHOOT any given model you are thinking of buying, so you can be sure you are getting the gun that best fits your needs.

    Any large city in NC should have at least one range that rents handguns. I know of ranges that do this in Fayetteville, Raleigh, and Charlotte, and I'm sure there are other ranges as well. Such ranges usually stock the most "popular" models in the most "popular" calibers, so you should have a good chance to get the gun you want, because it sounds like you're not looking for anything too exotic...

    I'd suggest looking at the smaller Para Ordnance LDA models too. You get the "stopping power" (whatever that means) of a .45acp, the reliability, looks and "heft" of a metal-frame 1911, and depending on the model, you can get up to 14 round capacity, which is a LOT of .45acp. More than any Glock, in fact, with a factory-issue magazine. AND the Para LDA's are a double-action 1911, so many folks feel they are much safer to carry "locked and cocked" than a standard single-action 1911.

    I own a Para (NOT an LDA though), and I love it. It's built like a tank, feeds anything I put through it without hesitation, and is nail-drivingly accurate. And knowing that I have 14 rounds of .45acp at my disposal (and another 14 in a spare mag) is a good thing.

    Speaking of Glocks, I saw a Glock 20 in 10mm in a local shop the other day. It was the first time I've ever been REALLY tempted to buy a Glock. I stupidly sold my Colt Delta Elite 10mm about 5 years ago, but I still have several hundred rounds of 10mm ammo, and I've been looking for a good deal on a 10mm pistol. I was REALLY tempted to put it on layaway... But then I saw the Uberti Schofield in the next case over, and I decided with 2 "must-have" guns in the store, it was a sign that maybe I should wait and carefully consider my budget first...

    Anyway, good luck. My best advise is to actually get out there and SHOOT the guns you are interested in, though. Find a friend who already owns one or a range that rents guns. That's the best way to get the best "fit"...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Dreamer,

    Thanks for the reply. The gun store I go to is owned by a family friend, he teaches CCW classes and has a small shooting range behind the shop. He's told me that once I find what I'm looking for we will get outback and throw a few rounds down range to see what I like. If I find what I like, we'll go inside, factor up a discount(nice having friends, huh?) and do some paper work. But, that's good advice you gave me.

  19. #19
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    So many really good offerings out there, it does make it hard to take a decision for the right gun. You'll notice most everyone has told you to try to shoot the ones you have narrowed down. Good that you have a source available for you to do this.

    Once you have picked the one you want, next comes holsters. In many respects, the same holds true for them as it does for your gun. First you need to decide how you're going to carry your gun; open or concealed or both. Then consider your clothing. Lastly, consider how the gun feels and works with the holster. This entails everything from securing your gun to being able to get it into action quickly to comfort to just about anything and everything you can think of.

    Have fun. And do keep us informed.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    So many really good offerings out there, it does make it hard to take a decision for the right gun. You'll notice most everyone has told you to try to shoot the ones you have narrowed down. Good that you have a source available for you to do this.

    Once you have picked the one you want, next comes holsters. In many respects, the same holds true for them as it does for your gun. First you need to decide how you're going to carry your gun; open or concealed or both. Then consider your clothing. Lastly, consider how the gun feels and works with the holster. This entails everything from securing your gun to being able to get it into action quickly to comfort to just about anything and everything you can think of.

    Have fun. And do keep us informed.
    Besides getting the gun itself I am very excited to pick a holster and other goodies for the gun! I'll be open carrying so maybe a nice, non tactical, or leather holster would be good. I don't want to draw too much attention to my self and I don't want to look like a mall ninja. I usually wear jeans and a t shirt or a polo, not too big but not tight either, but I guess for OC it doesn't really matter. And I will defilently keep everyone updated.

  21. #21
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    People make a big deal out of how a pistol points. Frankly, I think it's an excuse. I have seen people search for a reason for their shooting problems and tend to blame some attribute of the gun first.

    There is no excuse for poor shooting. Shooting is one of the few sports where the shooter controls what happens. A bad result is caused by the shooter except in very few circumstances (1).

    Training with a gun will override incorrect pointing. Glocks point high for me, yet the bullets go where I want them to with both point and sighted shooting. The key, no matter the problem, is diligent study and practice.

    Nothing is an adequate substitute for solid training with your weapon. If the shooter does not do his or her practice, then pointing could be a problem. However, the novice shooter will have other shooting problems and pointing will be minor compared to bad trigger control, flinching, incorrect sight picture, improper grip and/or failure to follow through.

    If you don't know what to get, just get the Glock 19. It is one of the best balances between capacity, concealability and shootability. The magazine holds 15 rounds and used to be reasonably priced (so you may find them on the Internet). Parts are readily available and holsters and gear are common.

    If you end up disliking the gun for some reason, selling it will be very easy. The G19 is one of the most popular 9mm pistols, so you should be able to recoup the costs (or just trade it).


    (1) One circumstance that comes to mind is incorrectly reloaded ammunition. I had loaded some 45 ACP ammunition and the bullets were keyholing on the target.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  22. #22
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    230therapy,

    I TOTALLY agree with your assessment, to a point.

    The "fit" of a handgun is critical. Some people have very small hands, and so a fat-handled Glock or Para Ordnance might not be a good choice for them. Some folks have long lanky fingers, and so a KelTek or Walther PPK might not be easy to operate.

    A gun that fits naturally in the hand will lead the owner WANTING to practice, and with that practice comes mastery of the firearm. An ill-fitting firearm will discourage practice, and that is never a good thing...


    Now back to the OP, Seniordep2010,

    If you want a gun that will cycle almost any ammo with reliability, and will just go and go and go, and can be dropped, shot dirty, and still perform reliably, get a Glock. They're not pretty, but they are the "Jeep" of the handgun world.

    If you want something you can buy relatively cheaply and use reliably as a stock model, or go hog-wild and customize the heck out of it, or you are inherantly a "tweak and tinker" type person, get a 1911--they are the "Volkswagen Beetle" of pistols.

    If you want a gun that is the "newest and most high tech" that is modern looking, easy to use, and is pretty reliable and accurate right out of the box, and you don't care about customizing it, get an XD. They are the "iPhone" of pistols--rugged, easy to use, high-tech sexy, but not really a platform for a tinkerer...

    Good luck! Let us know what you ultimately decide on...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  23. #23
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    If you want something you can buy relatively cheaply and use reliably as a stock model, or go hog-wild and customize the heck out of it, or you are inherantly a "tweak and tinker" type person, get a 1911--they are the "Volkswagen Beetle" of pistols.
    VW???? Gotta disagree here, more like the Mack Truck of the gun world ... in .45 cal. they plow through a lot ... and deliver on target, and are a breeze to clean and service. And they are still all metal ... not plastic.

    Of course, my highway car is a 1989 Cadillac ... it plows through snow drifts, will drive away from an accident when the new plastic cars will not.I am a firm believer in stacking the odds in my favor for accident survivability as I can rack up 30,000 miles or more in a year.

    Yeah, a little old school here
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  24. #24
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    I meant that VW reference to mean that like a VW, you can use a 1911 box-stock, and it will be perfectly utilitarian, and will run for years in all sorts of conditions, OR you can spend thousands of dollars and trick it all out, and transform it into a super-charged, high-performance machine (like a Beetle with a Porsche engine and a Chenowyth off-road suspension)...

    Like my 1911, the OLD Beetles were all-metal, a breeze to clean and service, and were astoundingly reliable in ALL sorts of conditions.

    I'm a HUGE 1911 fan (I carry a Para Ordnance every day) and an old Beetle owner (My first car was a 1969 Beetle, and when I sold it after 11 years, I'd put over 650,000 miles on it!). I love both "platforms", and didn't mean to sound like I was "downing" the 1911. I think both the 1911 and the VW Beetle are beautiful examples of the engineer's arts--they both are simple, effective, and mind-bogglingly reliable, and can both be transformed via modifications into tools that FAR exceed the performance intended by the original designers...

    Vee Dub--In Der Haus!...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Celina, OH, ,
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    230therapy,

    I TOTALLY agree with your assessment, to a point.

    The "fit" of a handgun is critical. Some people have very small hands, and so a fat-handled Glock or Para Ordnance might not be a good choice for them. Some folks have long lanky fingers, and so a KelTek or Walther PPK might not be easy to operate.

    A gun that fits naturally in the hand will lead the owner WANTING to practice, and with that practice comes mastery of the firearm. An ill-fitting firearm will discourage practice, and that is never a good thing...


    Now back to the OP, Seniordep2010,

    If you want a gun that will cycle almost any ammo with reliability, and will just go and go and go, and can be dropped, shot dirty, and still perform reliably, get a Glock. They're not pretty, but they are the "Jeep" of the handgun world.

    If you want something you can buy relatively cheaply and use reliably as a stock model, or go hog-wild and customize the heck out of it, or you are inherantly a "tweak and tinker" type person, get a 1911--they are the "Volkswagen Beetle" of pistols.

    If you want a gun that is the "newest and most high tech" that is modern looking, easy to use, and is pretty reliable and accurate right out of the box, and you don't care about customizing it, get an XD. They are the "iPhone" of pistols--rugged, easy to use, high-tech sexy, but not really a platform for a tinkerer...

    Good luck! Let us know what you ultimately decide on...
    With the Glock and XD, I wouldn't say one is more high-tech than the other. I've never seen an XD do something a Glock won't, and vise-versa. The aftermarket is slowly catching up with the XD, but for an overhaul mostpeople will send itout forthe work to be done. The XD has been around a while, it just didn't get the marketing push in the states until Springfield Armorybought the rights to the marketing.

    Whether it be a Glock, Springfield, Beretta, 1911, M&P,etc.it sounds like just about any modern duty pistol will do what theOPwants it to do. Others have said it, more will say it, and it can't be said enough: get out and shoot them before you make your choice. A lot of us have the stories of the one everyone liked at the time not working out to our own expectations. I originally bought a Glock without having shot one, and it just never felt right. Now I do most of my shooting and all my carrying with an XD. Maybe it will be a 1911 or a wheelgun a few years from now; the great thing about it is that there's always something out there to try if your tastes change over time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •