• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.357mag or .44mag?

Marco

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote: snip/edit
The .375 will wound the snake unless you get the muzzle within about 18" of the snake.
It usually takes more then one shot to kill them.
:what:What kind of snakes do you have near you?
They must besimilar in size to the Tremorworms?

You'reusing a magnum rifle round to kill snake:question::lol:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote: snip/edit
The .375  will wound the snake unless you get the muzzle within about 18" of the snake.
It usually takes more then one shot to kill them.
:what:What kind of snakes do you have near you?
They must be similar in size to the Tremor worms?

You're using a magnum rifle round to kill snake:question::lol:

TYPO ... IT WAS A TYPO!

Holy crap you are faster than Grapeshot on typos. That would be .357 Snake shot. But I still don't recommend it. The .44 is better, and I am waiting for CCI to come out with .500 Mag, or at least for Speer to come out with .500 Caliber shot cups I can load myself.:celebrate

I think .500 Mag would be even better than the .44 mag. It would probably just disintegrate the snake. I have even considered getting a Taurus Judge just for dispatching snakes. Oh yea. Before all you people come out of the woodwork wanting to know why I don't just use a shovel or other yard tool instead of shooting these critters. I do not routinely carry yard tools and in any case I do not have a permit to conceal a yard tool.:what:

Regards

Don Barnett

imported post

I just wear ankle high boots and kick any around any log I am about to sit down on. If you get bitten by a copperhead, you really have to be trying.

When I do go down to the reservoir, I just carry a .357 Magnum.

brokenbarrel

imported post

Ok, I wouldn't say Ruger is more durable than Smith & Wesson... if we were talking about Ruger being more durable than Taurus, then I'll fully agree with you there.

well ruger barrels are built at 27% higher pressure than standard firearms,but as to who is better i dont know go with what feels right,just know 357 ammo is cheaper and more common,both accomplish the same basicly just get a little closer to the bear with that 357...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I just wear ankle high boots and kick any around any log I am about to sit down on.  If you get bitten by a copperhead, you really have to be trying.

When I do go down to the reservoir, I just carry a .357 Magnum.

You have obviously never encountered very many copperheads. You do not have to work at it to be bitten. We have had them lay under the door sill at night and strike anything that steps in or out the door, day and night. We have them out in the grass at night where the dogs run and we have to walk. They lay in the shade along the river bank and strike when you get in or out of a boat. They lay in the barn stalls or hay storage and strike when people are working in the barn. Our place is not a suburban yard, it is a riverfront property heavily forested in oaks and beech. A lot of the ground is covered with leaves and copperheads are designed to blend in perfectly with that background.

These are not just out in the woods where you "kick around" a bjt so you can sit on a log. These are where my family lives, works and plays.

When I find them in places like you describe I leave them alone because they are no threat to anyone.

Regards

Don Barnett

imported post

I understand, Hawkflyer. Eventhough I live near the reservoir (across the cul de sac and down the trail), they do not come in my yard. I have LOTS of other species of snakes, but not copperheads. If they did, I would have to take more drastic actions. A guy across the street shoots them with a shotgun.

Where in Prince William County do you live? I live in the Lake Ridge subdivision of Woodbridge.

When I go down to the reservoir, I load the first shot in my .357 Mag with a shot round; but I make a lot of noise walking down so I have not encountered any copperheads.

Take Care...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I understand, Hawkflyer.  Eventhough I live near the reservoir (across the cul de sac and down the trail), they do not come in my yard.  I have LOTS of other species of snakes, but not copperheads.  If they did, I would have to take more drastic actions.  A guy across the street shoots them with a shotgun.

Where in Prince William County do you live?  I live in the Lake Ridge subdivision of Woodbridge.

When I go down to the reservoir, I load the first shot in my .357 Mag with a shot round; but I make a lot of noise walking down so I have not encountered any copperheads.

Take Care...
I am at the top end of the reservoir in the Buckhall area. The woods are very dense. We to have a lot of harmless species here and we actually encourage them to stay here.