Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: New Member....CHP in Hampton Question...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Greetings. I am a new member to the board,I find itvery informative, and I am proud toexercise my right to OC. Have done so off and on for about 10 years.

    I am going to the Circuit Court tommorow to apply for my CHP. Is there anyone on the board from Hampton? How long did it take you to get your CHP after submitting your application? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the forum. I'm in York County so I can' t answer for Hampton but it took me about 2-3 weeks after submitting the form and getting fingerprinted. I found out after that not all counties/cities fingerprint so Hampton may or may not require that.

    I believe that in VA if you don't receive the CHP within something like 45 days you can use the copy of the application as the CHP. Most localities get you the CHP within that time and if they don't a request to VCDL usually investigates why they are slow and gets them back on track.

    Come on out to one of the local dinners to meet other OC-ers. It is a great way to get lots of questions answered in a short time. :-)





    The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified. The copy of a concealed handgun permit application becomes a de facto permit if the court does not grant or deny the permit within a 45 day period of the receipt of the application.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Thanks for replying. Im off to HamptonCircuit Court this morning. Ironically, I have to go to Virginia Beach Court this morning because I was subpoeaned as a witness to an incident that occured at my job with a few fellow employees. One of them was OC...and got cited for brandishing! He in no way should be found guilty of this, as he didn't have his hand on or make mention of the sidearm he was carrying. I hope the judge weighs the facts of the case objectively.

    I'll keep the board posted on the time it takes to get my CHP. And I joined VCDL recently, so I look forward to meeting and greeting my fellow OC family.



    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Martin Luther King Jr

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    BBMWG,
    Welcome to the group! If you've browsed through the various threads here, you know we're pretty focused on the civil rights aspect of OC, and CC for that matter. That's not to say that's all we talk about, and the OC dinners can be a lot of fun. Our last one featured Danny Diggs, the York Co. Sheriff. Since you've joined VCDL, you're now a member of the hands-down best pro 2nd amendment rights group in the US, as far as I know. Consider coming to Lobby Day at the General Assembly on the MLK holiday. Hundreds of us will be there, ready to lobby hard for what we believe in. It can really get the juices flowing, but there's also time for restaurant meals with bunches of us. We'd be pleased to have you on board. Hoping for 900 this year, which may be a bit ambitious, but who knows?

    Regarding your question, York Co. tends to be the quickest, but Hampton has gotten a lot better than the days 10 years ago when they routinely took the whole 45 days, maybe more. I'll be surprised if it takes more than a month. In the meantime, just OC, and contribute to the Tidewater OC thread.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO. I can't speak to any Hampton questions but I'm sure interested in this court case you are a witness to. Do you think you might start another thread on the subject and provide more detail/info when you get a chance?

    I'm sure that many of us here would be interested in it. Thanks in advance!

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604

    Post imported post

    kaiheitai17 wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO. I can't speak to any Hampton questions but I'm sure interested in this court case you are a witness to. Do you think you might start another thread on the subject and provide more detail/info when you get a chance?

    I'm sure that many of us here would be interested in it. Thanks in advance!
    +1

    Hope the court case works out well. One doesn't have to touch the gun to brandish. Just a deliberate act, like flipping your coat back or removing the garment to deliver the "I am armed" message can be so construed. Intent and attitude do play a part.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
    Greetings. I am a new member to the board,I find itvery informative, and I am proud toexercise my right to OC. Have done so off and on for about 10 years.

    I am going to the Circuit Court tommorow to apply for my CHP. Is there anyone on the board from Hampton? How long did it take you to get your CHP after submitting your application? Thanks!
    It's been almost a year sinceI got my CHP from the hampton court, and they took all 45 days to get it to me. The holidays might factor in, so hopefully you will get it soon and with out issue.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampton, VA, ,
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    Welcome.

    I got my CHP in Hampton about a year ago. It took all 45 days to get mine. Good luck. If I remember correctly, it may have even been 46 days.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran kimbercarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Welcome BBWMG. I live in Hampton and both times it took about 3 or 3 1/2 weeks to get mine.

    Stay tuned in and join at one of our OC dinners.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623

    Post imported post

    When Shall issue became law it took me 100+ days (was not supposed to take more than 90 the first year).

    Next time it took over 60 days (supposed to only take no more than 45).

    In both cases I was told the application was not complete until theFBI check hadcome back (B.S.). I pointed out several voilations of the law by the courtto the Clerk of Courts including not being able to accept my money either (ofwhich they had) until the application was accepted as complete. For each violation I cited in 18.2-308 I was always told Judge Fordhad a good reason (but not what that reason was). The law was finally ammended to define when an application is considered complete.

    Next time it took less than 45 days.

    Last time it took about 3 weeks including the time it took to mail it to me on the courts dime.

    Apparently Judge Ford retired or died (good ridance). Things are much quicker now. Plus we have a different Clerk of Court now too.

    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Thank Guys,

    I will keep you posted on how long it takes. I have to get fingerprinted tommorow at the Hampton Police Dept. They accept fingerprinting Mondays,Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8 til 12noon. So the saga continues tommorow.

    As far as the aforementioned court case, the judge continued it until Feb 8th. This is the last time it can be continued, so we shall see what goes down. I am very well versed on what constitutes brandishing, and in no way did the guy brandish his firearm. In my opinion, I believe the LEO has a "hard on" for these guys, and wants to see them behind bars. He has referred to them as "Two Bitches"...and "worms". Although some of us may disagree with these guys "alternative lifestyles"...being objective and fair, he didn't brandish his gun. His "partner" caught a charge of disturbing the peace.I'll keep ya posted.

    IOC'd yesterday with no problems in Hampton. I think I attract more attention at times when I wear my REBEL confederate flag hat than I do my Springfield XD45..lol

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604

    Post imported post

    BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
    Thank Guys,

    I will keep you posted on how long it takes. I have to get fingerprinted tommorow at the Hampton Police Dept. They accept fingerprinting Mondays,Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8 til 12noon. So the saga continues tommorow.

    As far as the aforementioned court case, the judge continued it until Feb 8th. This is the last time it can be continued, so we shall see what goes down. I am very well versed on what constitutes brandishing, and in no way did the guy brandish his firearm. In my opinion, I believe the LEO has a "hard on" for these guys, and wants to see them behind bars. He has referred to them as "Two Bitches"...and "worms". Although some of us may disagree with these guys "alternative lifestyles"...being objective and fair, he didn't brandish his gun. His "partner" caught a charge of disturbing the peace.I'll keep ya posted.

    IOC'd yesterday with no problems in Hampton. I think I attract more attention at times when I wear my REBEL confederate flag hat than I do my Springfield XD45..lol
    Wonder what the outcry would be if they only did fingerprinting from 10:15 'til 10:50 AM on alternate Tuesdays. IMO - they should be required to accept/do prints anytime during normal business hours.

    The fingerprint option has got to go - it provides nothing for them but additional expense.

    Looking to hear back when this does make it to trial.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    Ms. Carol Snow is the best help in all governemental agencies I've ever dealt with.

    Though I really appreciate her proffessionality and prmpt response and help .She is a great woman and a has a humble and best spirit ever.

    God Bless her and may she fullfill all her goals .

    Wish her all the best as all the people who dealt with her.



    Such kind of people is rare these days ..I hope she will reach her goals...

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran kimbercarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Now that you describe yourself, I met you at the Hampton gun show earlier this year. And yes that hat caught my attention because you don't see that everyday.

    Hope to meet you again at one of our oc dinners.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    kimbercarrier wrote:
    Now that you describe yourself, I met you at the Hampton gun show earlier this year. And yes that hat caught my attention because you don't see that everyday.

    Hope to meet you again at one of our oc dinners.
    Hey kimbercarrier,

    Were you with VCDL at that show? Or at one of the vendor stands? I joined VCDL that day. I do look forward to attending functions and the Lobby Day in January.

    Submitted my fingerprints to HPD this morning. Now its a waiting game. Went to Superior Gun in Hampton for a little range time. The Gentlemen there were VERY helpful! I shot ok at first...but when the gentleman who had trained LE for years gave me a few pointers...ALL (but one of 25) of my rounds went in the bullseye!! Yeaaaah! Not blowing my own horn.....just stating the fact that KNOWLEDGE is POWER! And these older guys have a lot of knowledge if we humble ourselves to take it in.

    SAW THIS QUOTE WHILE I WAS STUDYING TODAY!! Ironic how I saw at the gun show a few people hawking HITLER/SS/NAZI goods....but seemingly HITLER and his cronies were against the Germans having guns!!?? GO FIGURE!!

    β€˜β€˜The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police.’’
    --Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938


  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604

    Post imported post

    BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
    snip....
    SAW THIS QUOTE WHILE I WAS STUDYING TODAY!! Ironic how I saw at the gun show a few people hawking HITLER/SS/NAZI goods....but seemingly HITLER and his cronies were against the Germans having guns!!?? GO FIGURE!!
    It is memorabilia - they're collectible items from the past.

    Except for the neo-nazis, skinheads nobody buys into the stupid side of dumb mentality from the Third Reich.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran kimbercarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    I wasn't working the table but, I stopped by and you were there talking to one of the guys. I commented about your hat to you later at a vendor table. Something to the effect of I bet you get a lot of comments about it and that you don't see that every day ( a black guy wearing a confederate hat).:shock:

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    @ kimbercarrier...I DO remember you. And I get a few stares at the hat...but I am proud of my "roots" too! I think it also opens up alot of good discussions at times. I believe that at the end of the day, no matter who we are and where we came from, certain things we can all be proud of as AMERICANS.

    @ everyone...From the gents I run across at the gun shows...to the good folks at the ranges..at the airports..when I go out of the country and meet people on vacations..and now on this board...i see a commonality...and share a bond. We all want pretty much the same things...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And not to have our freedoms trampled on by anyone. I am grateful to be surrounded by those people who have the mettle to stand up for what is right in this OC community. Won't get too political here, but I will say that we must remain a vigilant force against those who fight to take away our rights. While I am proud that we have an African American president (for once..lol), I do not bask in theeerie glowof potential infringement of our right to bear arms. Period.

    Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox for now...lol.

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604

    Post imported post

    BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
    @ kimbercarrier...I DO remember you. And I get a few stares at the hat...but I am proud of my "roots" too! I think it also opens up alot of good discussions at times. I believe that at the end of the day, no matter who we are and where we came from, certain things we can all be proud of as AMERICANS.

    @ everyone...From the gents I run across at the gun shows...to the good folks at the ranges..at the airports..when I go out of the country and meet people on vacations..and now on this board...i see a commonality...and share a bond. We all want pretty much the same things...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And not to have our freedoms trampled on by anyone. I am grateful to be surrounded by those people who have the mettle to stand up for what is right in this OC community. Won't get too political here, but I will say that we must remain a vigilant force against those who fight to take away our rights. While I am proud that we have an African American president (for once..lol), I do not bask in theeerie glowof potential infringement of our right to bear arms. Period.

    Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox for now...lol.
    With some hesitancy I say this, only because I do not wish to see this become the central point.

    I will be proudest of our country and her people, when race is not an issue, when the person and their values becomes the focus of whether or not they are selected to be our representative, our leader. For that matter, I don't see gender being a valid issue. I am neither blind nor dumb, just wishfully thinking.

    I don't think it is just me. I hope not.

    Thank you for standing tall for your/our rights. Maybe we'll meet one day and I can shake your hand. Gotta see that hat.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
    @ kimbercarrier...I DO remember you. And I get a few stares at the hat...but I am proud of my "roots" too! I think it also opens up alot of good discussions at times. I believe that at the end of the day, no matter who we are and where we came from, certain things we can all be proud of as AMERICANS.

    @ everyone...From the gents I run across at the gun shows...to the good folks at the ranges..at the airports..when I go out of the country and meet people on vacations..and now on this board...i see a commonality...and share a bond. We all want pretty much the same things...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And not to have our freedoms trampled on by anyone. I am grateful to be surrounded by those people who have the mettle to stand up for what is right in this OC community. Won't get too political here, but I will say that we must remain a vigilant force against those who fight to take away our rights. While I am proud that we have an African American president (for once..lol), I do not bask in theeerie glowof potential infringement of our right to bear arms. Period.

    Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox for now...lol.
    With some hesitancy I say this, only because I do not wish to see this become the central point.

    I will be proudest of our country and her people, when race is not an issue, when the person and their values becomes the focus of whether or not they are selected to be our representative, our leader. For that matter, I don't see gender being a valid issue. I am neither blind nor dumb, just wishfully thinking.

    I don't think it is just me. I hope not.

    Thank you for standing tall for your/our rights. Maybe we'll meet one day and I can shake your hand. Gotta see that hat.

    Yata hey


    Agree 100%, Mr. Grapeshot.

    Its sad that many people can't see beyond skin pigmentation and physical attributes (indoor or outdoor plumbing) when selecting our nation's leaders.

    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    @ Grapeshot...I look forward to meeting you! Very poignant and insightful words you speak.

    Americans tend to base alot of things on a persons outward appearance instead of his/her character. So we ALLgotta lot of work to do. I am glad that the OC/CC community, regardless of their personal differences/viewpoints etc...can work together. Because the common thread is RIGHTS, and this thread has been woven into the quilt of justice since the beginning of this great nation. We hold the needle, thus it is up to us to continue the patchwork of liberty, freedom and justice for all.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
    @ Grapeshot...I look forward to meeting you! Very poignant and insightful words you speak.

    Americans tend to base alot of things on a persons outward appearance instead of his/her character. So we ALLgotta lot of work to do. I am glad that the OC/CC community, regardless of their personal differences/viewpoints etc...can work together. Because the common thread is RIGHTS, and this thread has been woven into the quilt of justice since the beginning of this great nation. We hold the needle, thus it is up to us to continue the patchwork of liberty, freedom and justice for all.
    I doubt its just me, but whenI read words like this (and those from grapeshot) I get a warm, patriotic fuzzy. (should have a smiley waving a US flag)

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604

    Post imported post

    cbackous wrote:
    I doubt its just me, but whenI read words like this (and those from grapeshot) I get a warm, patriotic fuzzy. (should have a smiley waving a US flag)
    Glad to be of service.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •