• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member....CHP in Hampton Question...

BigBlkManwithGun

imported post

Greetings. I am a new member to the board,I find itvery informative, and I am proud toexercise my right to OC. Have done so off and on for about 10 years.

I am going to the Circuit Court tommorow to apply for my CHP. Is there anyone on the board from Hampton? How long did it take you to get your CHP after submitting your application? Thanks!

45acpForMe

imported post

Welcome to the forum. I'm in York County so I can' t answer for Hampton but it took me about 2-3 weeks after submitting the form and getting fingerprinted. I found out after that not all counties/cities fingerprint so Hampton may or may not require that.

I believe that in VA if you don't receive the CHP within something like 45 days you can use the copy of the application as the CHP. Most localities get you the CHP within that time and if they don't a request to VCDL usually investigates why they are slow and gets them back on track.

Come on out to one of the local dinners to meet other OC-ers. It is a great way to get lots of questions answered in a short time. :)

[align=left]The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified. The copy of a concealed handgun permit application becomes a de facto permit if the court does not grant or deny the permit within a 45 day period of the receipt of the application.[/align]

BigBlkManwithGun

imported post

Thanks for replying. Im off to HamptonCircuit Court this morning. Ironically, I have to go to Virginia Beach Court this morning because I was subpoeaned as a witness to an incident that occured at my job with a few fellow employees. One of them was OC...and got cited for brandishing! He in no way should be found guilty of this, as he didn't have his hand on or make mention of the sidearm he was carrying. I hope the judge weighs the facts of the case objectively.

I'll keep the board posted on the time it takes to get my CHP. And I joined VCDL recently, so I look forward to meeting and greeting my fellow OC family.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Martin Luther King Jr

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BBMWG,
Welcome to the group! If you've browsed through the various threads here, you know we're pretty focused on the civil rights aspect of OC, and CC for that matter. That's not to say that's all we talk about, and the OC dinners can be a lot of fun. Our last one featured Danny Diggs, the York Co. Sheriff. Since you've joined VCDL, you're now a member of the hands-down best pro 2nd amendment rights group in the US, as far as I know. Consider coming to Lobby Day at the General Assembly on the MLK holiday. Hundreds of us will be there, ready to lobby hard for what we believe in. It can really get the juices flowing, but there's also time for restaurant meals with bunches of us. We'd be pleased to have you on board. Hoping for 900 this year, which may be a bit ambitious, but who knows?

Regarding your question, York Co. tends to be the quickest, but Hampton has gotten a lot better than the days 10 years ago when they routinely took the whole 45 days, maybe more. I'll be surprised if it takes more than a month. In the meantime, just OC, and contribute to the Tidewater OC thread.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO. I can't speak to any Hampton questions but I'm sure interested in this court case you are a witness to. Do you think you might start another thread on the subject and provide more detail/info when you get a chance?

I'm sure that many of us here would be interested in it. Thanks in advance!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO. I can't speak to any Hampton questions but I'm sure interested in this court case you are a witness to. Do you think you might start another thread on the subject and provide more detail/info when you get a chance?

I'm sure that many of us here would be interested in it. Thanks in advance!
+1

Hope the court case works out well. One doesn't have to touch the gun to brandish. Just a deliberate act, like flipping your coat back or removing the garment to deliver the "I am armed" message can be so construed. Intent and attitude do play a part.

Yata hey

usaf0906

imported post

BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
Greetings. I am a new member to the board,I find itvery informative, and I am proud toexercise my right to OC. Have done so off and on for about 10 years.

I am going to the Circuit Court tommorow to apply for my CHP. Is there anyone on the board from Hampton? How long did it take you to get your CHP after submitting your application? Thanks!
It's been almost a year sinceI got my CHP from the hampton court, and they took all 45 days to get it to me. The holidays might factor in, so hopefully you will get it soon and with out issue.

Tralpat

imported post

Welcome.

I got my CHP in Hampton about a year ago. It took all 45 days to get mine. Good luck. If I remember correctly, it may have even been 46 days.

mobeewan

imported post

When Shall issue became law it took me 100+ days (was not supposed to take more than 90 the first year).

Next time it took over 60 days (supposed to only take no more than 45).

In both cases I was told the application was not complete until theFBI check hadcome back (B.S.). I pointed out several voilations of the law by the courtto the Clerk of Courts including not being able to accept my money either (ofwhich they had) until the application was accepted as complete. For each violation I cited in 18.2-308 I was always told Judge Fordhad a good reason (but not what that reason was). The law was finally ammended to define when an application is considered complete.

Next time it took less than 45 days.

Last time it took about 3 weeks including the time it took to mail it to me on the courts dime.

Apparently Judge Ford retired or died (good ridance). Things are much quicker now. Plus we have a different Clerk of Court now too.

BigBlkManwithGun

imported post

Thank Guys,

I will keep you posted on how long it takes. I have to get fingerprinted tommorow at the Hampton Police Dept. They accept fingerprinting Mondays,Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8 til 12noon. So the saga continues tommorow.

As far as the aforementioned court case, the judge continued it until Feb 8th. This is the last time it can be continued, so we shall see what goes down. I am very well versed on what constitutes brandishing, and in no way did the guy brandish his firearm. In my opinion, I believe the LEO has a "hard on" for these guys, and wants to see them behind bars. He has referred to them as "Two Bitches"...and "worms". Although some of us may disagree with these guys "alternative lifestyles"...being objective and fair, he didn't brandish his gun. His "partner" caught a charge of disturbing the peace.I'll keep ya posted.

IOC'd yesterday with no problems in Hampton. I think I attract more attention at times when I wear my REBEL confederate flag hat than I do my Springfield XD45..lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
Thank Guys,

I will keep you posted on how long it takes. I have to get fingerprinted tommorow at the Hampton Police Dept. They accept fingerprinting Mondays,Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8 til 12noon. So the saga continues tommorow.

As far as the aforementioned court case, the judge continued it until Feb 8th. This is the last time it can be continued, so we shall see what goes down. I am very well versed on what constitutes brandishing, and in no way did the guy brandish his firearm. In my opinion, I believe the LEO has a "hard on" for these guys, and wants to see them behind bars. He has referred to them as "Two Bitches"...and "worms". Although some of us may disagree with these guys "alternative lifestyles"...being objective and fair, he didn't brandish his gun. His "partner" caught a charge of disturbing the peace.I'll keep ya posted.

IOC'd yesterday with no problems in Hampton. I think I attract more attention at times when I wear my REBEL confederate flag hat than I do my Springfield XD45..lol
Wonder what the outcry would be if they only did fingerprinting from 10:15 'til 10:50 AM on alternate Tuesdays. IMO - they should be required to accept/do prints anytime during normal business hours.

The fingerprint option has got to go - it provides nothing for them but additional expense.

Looking to hear back when this does make it to trial.

Yata hey

zeina

imported post

Ms. Carol Snow is the best help in all governemental agencies I've ever dealt with.

Though I really appreciate her proffessionality and prmpt response and help .She is a great woman and a has a humble and best spirit ever.

God Bless her and may she fullfill all her goals .

Wish her all the best as all the people who dealt with her.

Such kind of people is rare these days ..I hope she will reach her goals...

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now that you describe yourself, I met you at the Hampton gun show earlier this year. And yes that hat caught my attention because you don't see that everyday.

Hope to meet you again at one of our oc dinners.

BigBlkManwithGun

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
Now that you describe yourself, I met you at the Hampton gun show earlier this year. And yes that hat caught my attention because you don't see that everyday.

Hope to meet you again at one of our oc dinners.

Hey kimbercarrier,

Were you with VCDL at that show? Or at one of the vendor stands? I joined VCDL that day. I do look forward to attending functions and the Lobby Day in January.

Submitted my fingerprints to HPD this morning. Now its a waiting game. Went to Superior Gun in Hampton for a little range time. The Gentlemen there were VERY helpful! I shot ok at first...but when the gentleman who had trained LE for years gave me a few pointers...ALL (but one of 25) of my rounds went in the bullseye!! Yeaaaah! Not blowing my own horn.....just stating the fact that KNOWLEDGE is POWER! And these older guys have a lot of knowledge if we humble ourselves to take it in.

SAW THIS QUOTE WHILE I WAS STUDYING TODAY!! Ironic how I saw at the gun show a few people hawking HITLER/SS/NAZI goods....but seemingly HITLER and his cronies were against the Germans having guns!!?? GO FIGURE!!

‘‘The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police.’’
--Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
snip....
SAW THIS QUOTE WHILE I WAS STUDYING TODAY!! Ironic how I saw at the gun show a few people hawking HITLER/SS/NAZI goods....but seemingly HITLER and his cronies were against the Germans having guns!!?? GO FIGURE!!
It is memorabilia - they're collectible items from the past.

Except for the neo-nazis, skinheads nobody buys into the stupid side of dumb mentality from the Third Reich.

Yata hey

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wasn't working the table but, I stopped by and you were there talking to one of the guys. I commented about your hat to you later at a vendor table. Something to the effect of I bet you get a lot of comments about it and that you don't see that every day ( a black guy wearing a confederate hat).:shock:

BigBlkManwithGun

imported post

@ kimbercarrier...I DO remember you. And I get a few stares at the hat...but I am proud of my "roots" too! I think it also opens up alot of good discussions at times. I believe that at the end of the day, no matter who we are and where we came from, certain things we can all be proud of as AMERICANS.

@ everyone...From the gents I run across at the gun shows...to the good folks at the ranges..at the airports..when I go out of the country and meet people on vacations..and now on this board...i see a commonality...and share a bond. We all want pretty much the same things...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And not to have our freedoms trampled on by anyone. I am grateful to be surrounded by those people who have the mettle to stand up for what is right in this OC community. Won't get too political here, but I will say that we must remain a vigilant force against those who fight to take away our rights. While I am proud that we have an African American president (for once..lol), I do not bask in theeerie glowof potential infringement of our right to bear arms. Period.

Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox for now...lol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BigBlkManwithGun wrote:
@ kimbercarrier...I DO remember you. And I get a few stares at the hat...but I am proud of my "roots" too! I think it also opens up alot of good discussions at times. I believe that at the end of the day, no matter who we are and where we came from, certain things we can all be proud of as AMERICANS.

@ everyone...From the gents I run across at the gun shows...to the good folks at the ranges..at the airports..when I go out of the country and meet people on vacations..and now on this board...i see a commonality...and share a bond. We all want pretty much the same things...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And not to have our freedoms trampled on by anyone. I am grateful to be surrounded by those people who have the mettle to stand up for what is right in this OC community. Won't get too political here, but I will say that we must remain a vigilant force against those who fight to take away our rights. While I am proud that we have an African American president (for once..lol), I do not bask in theeerie glowof potential infringement of our right to bear arms. Period.

With some hesitancy I say this, only because I do not wish to see this become the central point.

I will be proudest of our country and her people, when race is not an issue, when the person and their values becomes the focus of whether or not they are selected to be our representative, our leader. For that matter, I don't see gender being a valid issue. I am neither blind nor dumb, just wishfully thinking.

I don't think it is just me. I hope not.

Thank you for standing tall for your/our rights. Maybe we'll meet one day and I can shake your hand. Gotta see that hat. :)

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
BigBlkManwithGun wrote:

With some hesitancy I say this, only because I do not wish to see this become the central point.

I will be proudest of our country and her people, when race is not an issue, when the person and their values becomes the focus of whether or not they are selected to be our representative, our leader. For that matter, I don't see gender being a valid issue. I am neither blind nor dumb, just wishfully thinking.

I don't think it is just me. I hope not.

Thank you for standing tall for your/our rights. Maybe we'll meet one day and I can shake your hand. Gotta see that hat. :)

Yata hey

Agree 100%, Mr. Grapeshot.

Its sad that many people can't see beyond skin pigmentation and physical attributes (indoor or outdoor plumbing) when selecting our nation's leaders.