• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teacher draws handgun to stop stabbing on school grounds

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/12/kaplan_career_institute_teache.html

SNIP

Criminal justice instructor Michael Minto was leaving the Kaplan Career Institute in Swatara Township on Monday night when he spotted a man being stabbed, police said.

Minto pulled his gun and ordered the attacker to drop his knife, police said. The attacker fled, and authorities said Minto’s actions likely saved the life of Dillon Mitchell, 30, of Harrisburg.

If Minto had not intervened, “We might be talking about someone who died,” said Deputy Swatara Township Police Chief Jason D. Umberger. “There are not many citizens out there that would have the courage to take that action.”

sudden valley gunner

SpringerXDacp

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I am really surprised that the school did not have a no firearms policy.
Most likely it does. The CJ instructor may be active/retired LE where either the campus is "bending" the rules a bit and/or he is exempt per Pa laws.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Mike wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
or he is exempt per Pa laws.
This was not a K-12 school, hence we can all carry there.
I understand this. It's the same here in Michigan other than a couple of universities.However, other universities/colleges here have strict policy against students/faculty possessing weapons (guns) on campus that may lead to termination/expulsion.

TFred

imported post

Mike wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
or he is exempt per Pa laws.
This was not a K-12 school, hence we can all carry there.
It brings to mind an interesting question though... "what if?"

What if his school were a prohibited area, but he chose to carry concealed anyway. I'm sure some folks do this from time to time.

The incident breaks before you and you have to make a quick choice... do you save a life or risk your career and possible prosecution yourself?

I would probably choose not to carry if it were truly a prohibited area, but I would like to think that the public opinion outrage of any sort of punishment for a hero would prevail.

TFred

P.S. Later articles tell us that they caught the guy a couple days later.

We-the-People

imported post

I wonder why I didn't see this on the mainstream media? It sure sounds like a great story about someone saving a fellow human being from a criminal.

Yes, it's sarcastic, we all know why.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
Thank goodness for a gun-carrying law abiding citizen.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
And you know how minutes pass when something bad is happening.........slowly

Yeah, that statement reminds me of the woman in Lincoln County Oklahoma that had to wait in the ballpark of 15 minutes before police arrived... after she had shot a gut that finally made entry into her home. Prime example of why firearms are needed for self defense, even in the case someone does not have a gun or some other tool that may be deadly in their hands... such as a knife (as in the case this thread is about). A drunk man with, with a criminal history or not, can be deadly all on its own not to forget the potential for rape.

TFred

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
And you know how minutes pass when something bad is happening.........slowly
Yeah, that statement reminds me of the woman in Lincoln County Oklahoma that had to wait in the ballpark of 15 minutes before police arrived... after she had shot a gut that finally made entry into her home. Prime example of why firearms are needed for self defense, even in the case someone does not have a gun or some other tool that may be deadly in their hands... such as a knife (as in the case this thread is about). A drunk man with, with a criminal history or not, can be deadly all on its own not to forget the potential for rape.
There's a thread in this very forum with links to the 911 tape. It was 24 minutes. It's chilling to hear.

TFred

opusd2

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:

And when in Wisconsin, mostly the Madison area, the police are hours away scratching their heads at what happened since the 911 operator messed up on taking a report only admonishing the caller.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here in TN it would have been justifiable to just shoot the stabber without a warning to drop the knife.The threat of serious bodily injury/death was obviously present and that's all that is required.

Of course, Minto may have been too far away or didn't have a clear shot. Shooting may not have been asafe option, in respect to the victem.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Here in TN it would have been justifiable to just shoot the stabber without a warning to drop the knife. The threat of serious bodily injury/death was obviously present and that's all that is required.

Of course, Minto may have been too far away or didn't have a clear shot. Shooting may not have been a safe option, in respect to the victem.

I don't know Virginia law, but I hope it's justifiable there. In North Carolina, if I remember the law correctly... blast away.

M

McX

imported post

there is a sad possible fact to consider; if that guy had been just Open Carrying, he might have faced, Police harrassment, but due to the circumstances, he ended up being a hero.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/12/kaplan_career_institute_teache.html

If Minto had not intervened, “We might be talking about someone who died,” said Deputy Swatara Township Police Chief Jason D. Umberger. “There are not many citizens out there that would have the courage to take that action.”
I dare say he is wrong on this highlighted part.

Great jobonthe teacher's partthough.
Aye, the problem is not a lack of courage in citizens... It is the government's desire to make it look that way by depriving us of arms such that taking such action is not an available option.

Would it have been an 'assault knife?' Do we need more regulation of knives?

How obvious can it get?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Of course, Minto may have been too far away or didn't have a clear shot. Shooting may not have been asafe option, in respect to the victem.
Yes, I have been enjoying someone's analogy, of the First Amendment's prior restraint on shouting "Fire" in a theater, to a Second Amendment prior restraint on shooting into a crowd of innocents.

LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER & TARGET, know and love your TARGET and what is beyond.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ God damn the Obamination