• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for open carry at a Klamath County, OR Library

rds801

imported post

Anyone know this person? I was reading the comments to the story and someone had mentioned that the person arrested has a history of mental problems.

http://www.heraldandnews.com/articles/2009/12/14/breaking/doc4b24500640145761672315.txt#comment

Man with gun arrested in Klamath County Library

Police: Actions were cause for "public alarm"

Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:23 PM PST

A Klamath Falls man accused of bringing a .22-caliber pistol into the Klamath County Library was arrested Saturday afternoon, according to the Klamath Falls Police.

Joseph Cherrier, 23, 203 Main St., allegedly walked into the Klamath County Library with a pistol in a waist holster in plain view of other library patrons. Responding officers said Cherrier’s actions while in the library were cause for “public alarm,” but would not go into specifics.

Cherrier was arrested and booked on charges of disorderly conduct and unlawful possession of a weapon. He was held in the Klamath County Jail in lieu of $20,000 bail.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This sounds interesting. Seems like a lot of facts may have been left out.

A holstered pistol in a public library is not unlawful in that neck of the woods. I don't recall there being any restrictions in southern Oregon.

Hope he can find a good lawyer.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.heraldandnews.com/articles/2009/12/14/breaking/doc4b26cbac3db12371500658.txt

A Klamath Falls man accused of bringing a .22-caliber pistol into the Klamath County Library remained in the Klamath County Jail Monday in lieu of $15,000 bail.

Joseph Cherrier, 23, 203 Main St., allegedly displayed the gun out of its holster outside of the library, walked into the building with it holstered and made comments to library patrons about having a firearm, said Klamath Falls Police Department spokesman Mike Anderson.

Cherrier appeared in Klamath County Circuit Court Monday and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Dec. 21. He has not yet made a plea. Cherrier faces charges of disorderly conduct and unlawful possession of a weapon.

Firearms carried by non-law enforcement personnel are not allowed in any government building, including the library and courthouse, Anderson said.

Hmm - not sure about Anderson's comment.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Can one of you Oregon folks get the facts together on this?

Does that locality have an ordiance against carry in that library?

Does the arrestee have a permit to conceal (which then should have privileged him to open carry in the library any ordiance notwithstanding)?

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Can one of you Oregon folks get the facts together on this?

Does that locality have an ordiance against carry in that library?

Does the arrestee have a permit to conceal (which then should have privileged him to open carry in the library any ordiance notwithstanding)?

To my knowledge, there is no local ordinance in that part of Oregon.

Under state ordinances, there is no definition that defines a library as offlimits.

Although there are other cities which ban loaded weapons, without a oregon permit,such as Portland, Gresham, and Beaverton to name a few.

166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380. As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:[/b]

(1) “Capitol building” means the Capitol, the State Office Building, the State Library Building, the Labor and Industries Building, the State Transportation Building, the Agriculture Building or the Public Service Building and includes any new buildings which may be constructed on the same grounds as an addition to the group of buildings listed in this subsection.

(2) “Court facility” means a courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court or occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts take place.

I could find nothing in local ordances that would prevent this either. This is the city code. It only talks about discharging a firearm.

http://www.ci.klamath-falls.or.us/content/departments/recorder/static/protection.pdf

I knowwhat has been released in the press. I have not read anything about if he has a permit or not.

Joseph appears to still be in custody:

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/searchResultsAction.do?searchType=offender&siteId=38000&searchWhere=state&doc=900&agency=1&id=&lastName=Cherrier&firstName=Joseph&dob=&ageRange=0&methodToCall=search

edit - grammar. (yes, thereare probably more mistakes).

bogidu

imported post

I would agree with Puddin, I think some information is missing from the article. The one thing that pops out at me is the phrase 'his actions were cause for alarm'. What did he do that brought attention to himself??

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bogidu wrote:
I would agree with Puddin, I think some information is missing from the article. The one thing that pops out at me is the phrase 'his actions were cause for alarm'. What did he do that brought attention to himself??
Who says that he did? Perhaps, as with many things 'reported,' the reason it is missing is because there is nothing there?

We've seen many times where Officers and False Witnesses just flat out lie, or cite the mere possession of the pistol as 'cause for alarm.' He was cited with the catch-all 'disorderly conduct' heap of steaming doo... If the past behaviors of Officers are any indication... It's another excuse to arrest someone just for having it and will hopefully result in Large $$$ Civil penalties to the offending JBT(s).

So far (note that qualifier), it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck. So, I'm calling it a duck: Another False Arrest.

imported post

well actually i know joe. he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and also that library is also a GOVERNMENT LAW library which is GOVERNMENT owned library and in the case of him having the fire arm it was loaded with a round in the chamber which not even a person with a concealed handgun permit can have and do to the fact of him being a schizophrenic he is not allowed to be in possession of any weapons. and i know that people are going to say then how could he get one. easy his uncle has bought multiple firearms for him including a single shot 12 guage shot gun and a russian 7.62x54mm mosin nagant rifle in which he has been know to threaten people live with.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

michael1131988 wrote:
well actually i know joe. he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and also that library is also a GOVERNMENT LAW library which is GOVERNMENT owned library and in the case of him having the fire arm it was loaded with a round in the chamber which not even a person with a concealed handgun permit can have and do to the fact of him being a schizophrenic he is not allowed to be in possession of any weapons. and i know that people are going to say then how could he get one. easy his uncle has bought multiple firearms for him including a single shot 12 guage shot gun and a russian 7.62x54mm mosin nagant rifle in which he has been know to threaten people live with.
If that is all true, then there will surely be more details. After one post... I don't deny your credibility, but I wonder why someone would say things like that on a public forum. Trying to establish that "I really do know stuffs?"

Why tell it here? If it's true, tell the Cops or the Newspapers...

Hendu024

imported post

ixtow wrote:
michael1131988 wrote:
If that is all true, then there will surely be more details. After one post... I don't deny your credibility, but I wonder why someone would say things like that on a public forum. Trying to establish that "I really do know stuffs?"

Why tell it here? If it's true, tell the Cops or the Newspapers...
Sounds like a troll to me.

imported post

The thing is they already know it just having them bring the evidence forward and there are miles of red tape before the city can get a warrent for a search and seasurer of evidence and three of my friends were there when he got arrested. his uncle is also on the sheriff dive rescue so joe thinks he can get away with anything

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

michael1131988 wrote:
The thing is they already know it just having them bring the evidence forward and there are miles of red tape before the city can get a warrent for a search and seasurer of evidence and three of my friends were there when he got arrested. his uncle is also on the sheriff dive rescue so joe thinks he can get away with anything
Your claims aren't adding up... I'm calling troll too. Maybe you aren't. But I refer to the duck.

NightOwl

imported post

michael1131988 wrote:
that library is also a GOVERNMENT LAW library which is GOVERNMENT owned library and in the case of him having the fire arm it was loaded with a round in the chamber which not even a person with a concealed handgun permit can have and do to the fact of him being a schizophrenic he is not allowed to be in possession of any weapons. and i know that people are going to say then how could he get one. easy his uncle has bought multiple firearms for him including a single shot 12 guage shot gun and a russian 7.62x54mm mosin nagant rifle in which he has been know to threaten people live with.

As for it being a GOVERNMENT LAW library owned by the GOVERNMENT that means nothing at all so far as preventing him from open carry at that location.

As far as having a round in the chamber...that's the first I've heard of that. I don't see anything prohibiting that it Oregon law, either, though it's possible I missed something. So there's a round chambered...so what?

As for the schizophrenia, well, that's a reasonable cause for him to not be allowed to carry. Even so, this doesn't really explain what occurred inside the library that's missing from the newspaper article.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

michael1131988 wrote:
before the city can get a warrent for a search and seasurer of evidence
Here's why you sound like bunk and are probably a troll

Why would they need to get a warrant for an arrest that has already taken place? Are you saying they haven't got any evidence? This doesn't make sense. If he has already been arrested, then they must already have evidence to make the arrest in the first place. But none has yet been presented or reported. they can't get a warrant to search his place for some kind of evidence to justify the arrest AFTER the fact... Cops aren't supposed to be allowed to just arrest people for no reason and then go try to find something to justify it. So, they find other guns in his house. taht isn't a crime unless he is disqualified for some reason. Mental health is questionable, Felony would do it.

I've been 'diagnosed' as all kinds of things by Statists trying to cause me trouble. I'm sure most of my Democrat neighbors would tell you that I'm 'crazy' for not being like them. It doesn't disqualify me....

You're not bringing anything quantifiable to the table, and the statements you make demonstrate a lack of understanding to the process, at best. It casts significant suspicion upon you.

imported post

The law states that no person may carry around a handgun with a chambered round not even an officer of the law carries a chambered round and the law also states that no indevidual ma carriy a weapon into a federal building and a law library is a federal building and i know for a fact that that library has a sign at both entrances stating that weapons are not allowed on their property. the other thing is that it is considered endangerment of a child to carry in a public library none the less

Hendu024

imported post

michael1131988 wrote:
The law states that no person may carry around a handgun with a chambered round not even an officer of the law carries a chambered round and the law also states that no indevidual ma carriy a weapon into a federal building and a law library is a federal building and i know for a fact that that library has a sign at both entrances stating that weapons are not allowed on their property. the other thing is that it is considered endangerment of a child to carry in a public library none the less
Stop spewing out b.s. laws without citing. That is one of the rules on the forum. Maybe you should go back and read them before making more ignorant posts.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

michael1131988 wrote:

um, I see you re a new memebr - pls see the posting rules - we really need people to cite to authority when proffering rules of law here - otherwise your post is not helpful.

Surely folks can carry rounds chambered in oregon just like about every other state - Oregon does not generally block folks from carrying in state buldings and law libraries are not feeral buildings.