• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Supreme Court re: Police Seizure

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
kito109654 wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
David.Car wrote:
cynicist wrote:
[suP]no seizure where officer asked defendant to remove hands from pockets and then asked him two questions, because this was no more intrusive than asking for identification).

[/suP]
[suP]When are they going to recognize that an officer demanding identification for no reason is an intrusion?!
[/suP]
If you are walking down the street and a LEO stops you like the story above, you are under no requirement to provide them with identification.
Why I mostly carry sterile. I don't walk around with my I.D. or CPL if I am open carrying.

Just wondering about the logistics of this...do you leave your id and CPL in your vehicle so that they are available when needed? If asked whether you have "a permit for that gun" do you say, "no" or, "I don't need one..."

What kind of inconvenience has carrying sterile caused for you? For example, if I made a habit of it, I would eventually visit the liquor store without ID. :lol:
The last couple of times TPD asked to see my ID while I was carrying openly, l politely refused. There's nothing in the law that says you have to show ID if you have it, but don't have to show ID if you don't have it. Yes, it's a bit awkward to refuse because they're going to immediately ask you why. The best answer to that question is, "Am I free to leave?"
Yep, and if you know you are going somewhere were you are going to be I.D.ed then carry it in. Otherwise it stays in the car.

Only time I have been asked if I had a permit were by civilians, I reply don't need one. Most times it opens the door and folks walk away more enlightened to their rights.

The Bellingham Police tried to make a big deal and an inconvenience for me for not carrying my I.D. they now leave me alone and others here in B'ham too.

On this point to those who say just 'cooperate' if I had the harrassment would have continued for not only me but others who are now zealously open carrying in Bellingham. Ask Tyguy how our last "police encounter" went. It truly was just a freindly consentual encounter and they went on their way.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
Understood. Thanks for your responses, guys! I'll probably just keep it with me and refuse to show it.
If you do this hide it. Even if they illegally grab your wallet like they did mine they can't find it.

kito109654

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
Understood. Thanks for your responses, guys! I'll probably just keep it with me and refuse to show it.
If you do this hide it. Even if they illegally grab your wallet like they did mine they can't find it.

Holy @#$%! Why did they do that? I would be so pissed that there might be a reason to take my pistol from me.:p

Okay then, maybe I won't carry it on me when I OC. Yikes.

amlevin

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
There were a bunch of other "Mom-isms". I loved her, but boy did she give me some bad information.

Don't forget:

"quit making that face, or it'll get stuck like that":p

"don't sit tht close to the TV, it'll make you cross-eyed":shock:

"keep it up and you'll poke your brain and you'll be retarded forever!":banghead:

Did you forget "If you keep doing that you'll go blind"? :what:

:p:p:p

Tomas

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
My ex biz partner used to prefer to wander about with no ID, and even went so far as to have one of those "rechargable" gift Visa debit cards as the only one he carried: No name on that debit card or anything else in his pockets.
________

Did you forget "If you keep doing that you'll go blind"? :what:

"Can't I just do it 'til I need glasses???" :shock:

(Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I'm new here so didn't have a chance to comment when it was NEW.) :D

FMCDH

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
It is a shame that children are taught from preschool that all cops are good and to always trust them and that all guns are bad and people who "play" with guns are bad (except for the guns that cops carry, of course).

Id sooner tell my kids to trust police than clergy. :p;)

That just one of the most un-natural and frustrated professions around. Yikes. :(

BigT

imported post

While I fully understand the not carrying ID, and the reasons why you don't really have to, there can be other issues by not having it. I'm an EMT, have been for 12 years. I see it frequently where we go to a call, someone has no ID, they have been knocked unconscious (fight, car vs ped, etc.). Now we have no way to know who it is, no way to notify family,etc. And with all of the patient privacy laws it makes things even more difficult if something happens to you, you can not be identified, and your family starts calling around to hospitals looking for you.

Maybe we can just start bar coding people:lol:

Not looking to start a flame war over this, but it is a possibility, anything can happen to anyone at anytime.

New Daddy

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
It is a shame that children are taught from preschool that all cops are good and to always trust them and that all guns are bad and people who "play" with guns are bad (except for the guns that cops carry, of course).
Eh, I didn't go to preschool, but in elementary school they just said don't touch guns or ammo, tell an adult. Oh, and that if you drop ammo, it can go off. WTF well I suppose anything's possible...
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/147744-just-got-lucky.html

amzbrady

imported post

BigT wrote:
While I fully understand the not carrying ID, and the reasons why you don't really have to, there can be other issues by not having it. I'm an EMT, have been for 12 years. I see it frequently where we go to a call, someone has no ID, they have been knocked unconscious (fight, car vs ped, etc.). Now we have no way to know who it is, no way to notify family,etc. And with all of the patient privacy laws it makes things even more difficult if something happens to you, you can not be identified, and your family starts calling around to hospitals looking for you.

Not looking to start a flame war over this, but it is a possibility, anything can happen to anyone at anytime.
Micro chip people, no need to touch, or speak. Just wave the majic wand. Anyone without one is automatically deported to the closest country that they look like they belong too. :uhoh:

BigT

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
BigT wrote:

Micro chip people, no need to touch, or speak. Just wave the majic wand. Anyone without one is automatically deported to the closest country that they look like they belong too. :uhoh:
HAHAHA. Yeah that would work too.

John Hardin

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
That link has rotted. To save digging around here:

http://www.mrsc.org/wa/courts/index_dtSearch.html

I've mirrored a copy of the opinion here:

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/legal/State_v_Harrington.pdf

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

This is why I taught my children when problems arise call police or teachers or other "authorities" but never give out personal information about themselves or family."

I have taught my children that when they approached by police, regardles of whether they were doing something wrong or not that they do not speak to anyone and do not consent to being searched. I tell my kids that if the police ask their name, give them your name but anythign beyond that repeat over and over again to them that you refuse to be searched or answer questions and to "call my parents."