• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

handgun sale in CT

Leverdude

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
Re the shall issue aspect of an eligibility certificate. I've always told my pistol permit students to just get the full permit.

I understood the eligibility certificate had all the same requirements as the full carry permit. i.e. NRA basic handgun class, fingerprint, background check.

Do you have a statute I can look at?

Gluegun posted it.

A permit is best but if you happen to live where the PD is hard to deal with an eligibility certificate bypasses them so you can at least buy a gun and its also great to have when your appeal comes up. The "Suitablity" thing leaves too much up to the issueing authorities opinion IMO. If the chief doesn't think people should have guns he can almost deny them out of hand. I think it should be cut & dry.

dcmdon

imported post

This is a great work around for people who live in gun unfriendly towns. It also explains why I'm pretty ignorant of it. In eastern CT, nobody has any trouble getting permits.

Don

ESCH

imported post

As the original poster of this thread, I would like to request this thread be deleted from the forum. There is so much misinformation and inaccuracies by posters in this thread I feel it is more of a liability than an asset. I would like to address the specific problems and misinformation but there arefar to many to even bother with. It would be of greater service to remove them altogether. I am hoping this can be done as the focus of the site is to educate and not to misinform.

gluegun

imported post

Another reason to get the Elligibility Certificate is in the event your firearm is seized and your permit revoked. In this situation, you can run home, grab your EC and head out to the gun shop to buy a nice home defense weapon. You won't be able to carry it outside your home, but at least it will be there in case of emergency.

Ed Peruta suggested this and since doing so, DPS has seen the number of ECs issued from 13 to 36.