• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charged With Going Armed to the Terror of the People and carrying a concealed weapon

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Tek,

I also drive an HHR...

When I transport my long guns, I always make sure they are unloaded, put a cable lock through the action (if possible) and keep them in a padlocked hard-shell case. In the case of my shotgun, I usually take the barrel off too, rendering it "disassembled"... I have an inexpensive Plano hardshell case ($25 at a local store), and it fits PERFECTLY across the back of my cargo area, behind the rear seat, riding on top of the floor panel if I put it in the "raised shelf" position. I usually cover it with a blanket too, so it's not obvious to passers-by that it's a gun case.

But then again, I have a NC CHP, so that makes things a LOT easier...

I also have one of those small "GunVault" safes with a cable-lock attached, and I keep it in the cargo area, cabled to one ob my tie-downs with a padlock. That way, when I am going into a place that won't let me carry (government building, restaurant, Maryland) I can lock it up securely, and be within the law just about ANYWHERE with regards to transport.

If you have an SUV, Van, or other vehicle that doesn't have a separate, lockable trunk, and you do a lot of interstate travel, getting a small, lockable mini-safe with a cable lock is just good sense. I got mine at Big Lots for a SERIOUS discount about 2 years ago.

Locked containers are good. Locked containers with cable locks that you can attach to your cargo tie-downs are even better. But getting your CHP just makes life a whole lot simpler--ESPECIALLY if you do a lot of interstate travel. The NC CHP is recognized in over 30 states, and with the exceptions of MD, DC, NJ and NY, (and who REALLY wants to go to any of those places anyway?) it pretty much covers the whole East Coast...

If you are a gun owner, and intend to carry, and ESPECIALLY if you do a lot of interstate travel, there is simply NO logical excuse to NOT have a CHP...
Good info indeed. Thanks. I usually keep my shelf in the floor position because I keep communications equipment back there and I don't want anything striking my radios, but if I get a proper hard case, that may not be an issue. I can figure something out. Thanks again.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One point to clarify that was brought up.

The Navy Federal hadn't posted signs the entire time since I was arrested in August into December. It seems that the JPD and Navy Federal believe that you are not allowed to carry at a financial institution at all.

I actually find the topic of the lock box very informative and am glad someone brought it up, as the JPD thought they were going to get away with calling my rifle a concealed weapon.

at this point in time the JPD has shown itself as hostile to me and I don't recommend anyone consider collaborating or cooperating with them in the future.

Dreamer

imported post

Is Jacksonville City Hall a "no firearms zone"?

I'm thinking that perhaps we need to get some OCers to attend some upcoming City Council meetings, and let the city officials down there know that WE know the law, and we will NOT tolerate harassment under color of law. It seems that Jacksonville is sort of a "hot spot" for OC harassment in NC, and perhaps if we could get together a group of a dozen or so folks to have a regularly-schedules dinner-meetup, or make monthly treks to the City Council meetings to voice our concerns, it might persuade them to think twice in the future about harassing OCers and filing all these bogus charges to intimidate us...

I'd be up for the drive...

Next J-ville City Council meetings are on the 5th and the 19th of January at 7:00 PM in the Council Chambers of Jacksonville City Hall, 815 New Bridge Street.

If J-ville City Hall is a "no carry zone", then I think this might be a good opportunity for an "empty holster" contingent to show up and offer some commentary for the record...

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Is Jacksonville City Hall a "no firearms zone"?

I'm thinking that perhaps we need to get some OCers to attend some upcoming City Council meetings, and let the city officials down there know that WE know the law, and we will NOT tolerate harassment under color of law. It seems that Jacksonville is sort of a "hot spot" for OC harassment in NC, and perhaps if we could get together a group of a dozen or so folks to have a regularly-schedules dinner-meetup, or make monthly treks to the City Council meetings to voice our concerns, it might persuade them to think twice in the future about harassing OCers and filing all these bogus charges to intimidate us...

I'd be up for the drive...

Next J-ville City Council meetings are on the 5th and the 19th of January at 7:00 PM in the Council Chambers of Jacksonville City Hall, 815 New Bridge Street.

If J-ville City Hall is a "no carry zone", then I think this might be a good opportunity for an "empty holster" contingent to show up and offer some commentary for the record...
I'm 100% for this sort of engagement with this local government.

buzzsaw

imported post

It isn't that JPD is just anti open carry. It is that they are anti open carry or any other type of carry for the "wrong" people. Some of you may have followed the case recently where one of the "favored folks" was carrying cc in a place posted against concealed and dropped the gun resulting in an accidental discharge which injured someone in the mall. The JPD and company concluded that since the individual who perpetrated this nonsense was one of theirs that no laws were violated. This is the type of administration of laws that brings disrespect to the endeavor.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
It isn't that JPD is just anti open carry.  It is that they are anti open carry or any other type of carry for the "wrong" people.  Some of you may have followed the case recently where one of the "favored folks" was carrying cc in a place posted against concealed and dropped the gun resulting in an accidental discharge which injured someone in the mall.  The JPD and company concluded that since the individual who perpetrated this nonsense was one of theirs that no laws were violated.  This is the type of administration of laws that brings disrespect to the endeavor. 

Ok, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm going to have to ask you to expound on favored folks, the wrong people, and one of theirs. I am familiar with this case, but I saw no images of the person that dropped the gun or the or person that was shot and none of the officers that investigated the accidental shooting.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ya know it's stories like these that alienate 'normal' people from our cause....myself included, honestly.

I have been carrying openly, daily, for over three years now. I have had good and bad encounters during that time, but I have never gotten anywhere close to being arrested or banned from property or anything else.

I attribute this to three very simple practices. I always consider how myself and my actions will be perceived by others, I am always respectful, and I avoid bad situations.

It seems to me that the vast majority of these extreme negative encounters are partially if not wholly instigated by the carrier, and could be partially if not wholly avoided by the same.

This situation was handled poorly from the beginning. I feel terribly misrepresented as a member of this group. If we don't think before we act, we're going to do much more harm than good.

I'm sorry for the rant folks, but I'm starting to see why many see the members of this website as a bunch of nutjobs.

chiefjason

imported post

I hear the "don't talk to the cops" idea kicked around a lot. But in this situation, where I know exactly which law I was not breaking. I would have spoken up at some point. I'm not one to just sit there and not question something if I know better. To each his own though. As much as I understand the legality of OC in a bank, it's not an area that I have pushed. And may not. I have other options to defend myself if I have to. I do hope it works out for you though, particularly since you did not break any laws.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I still don't advocate volunteering more information about your own actions to the Police besides your name and address.

In my situation that occured with them. They were determined to arrest me, it was only a matter of figuring out what to use against me. There was nothing I could say that could help me, only injure me. They truly believed in their minds that it going to Navy Federal Credit Union with a weapon violated Federal Law. ( http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC00930.html )

Hindsight is 20/20 though, right?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member

lonewolf2810

imported post

No matter I would look into getting legal backing and I would go after them for violating my rights. They were totally out of line.

By the way did you ever get your property back?

fenderfreek

imported post

A 10 year old could make this a slam-dunk 4A violation case. You broke no laws but were both illegally searched and had property seized. While it's very unfortunate, there's only one way to end this madness now and it's through the courts, where you could easily sue the pants off of the JPD with a half-competent lawyer.

Thundar

imported post

You see we have to protect ourselves from places like J-ville. Concealed firearms are illegal in banks. We don't like it that you are open carrying, so we charge you with GATTTOTP, a ridiculous charge.

J-ville PD screwed up, but is bullying the gun owner because they are fearful of civil action.

Fight like hell Comrade. This kind of abusive conduct should not be tolerated in America.

suntzu

imported post

internalaffairs@ci.jacksonville.nc.us

you can also call the department or write them or go down...

but it is needless to say that you need to file not only a complaint with the department, but also with the FBI for violation of your civil rights under Title 18 USC.

you should also immediately get a lawyer and file a lawsuit--not only for US Constitutional rights but also for violation of your State Constitutional rights.

Это новая Америка Товарищ

J_Oliver

I hope we get an update soon. I'm looking forward to an OC/open holster "interruption' (by interruption I mean attendance) of a J-Ville town council meeting if that's still viable. Someone, anyone have an update?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

importinvasion

Its stories like this that make me glad I put in for my cc permit. There may be no law against open carry, but many pd's make thier own rules to the fact. It's maddening to say the least. :banghead: