• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I carry?

Husker0700

imported post

I work in the court system for the Department of Correction and sometimes have to hand out Disciplinary decisions to inmate which states they just lost good time. At this point they tend to get really upset.

There are inmates leaving my institution daily, haven't "run into" a former inmate yet, but want to be ready if I do and the interaction isn't so civil.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Back when Virginia was a "may issue" state I was asked why I felt I needed a permit. Replied threats made on my life - threats, How many? Said hundreds, truthfully. As a DOC instructor, not authorized to carry off the job w/o a permit, I did get mine in short order after that interview.

Yata hey

TheMrMitch

imported post

I am a corrections officer andrun into many inmates outside the jail who have been under my care. I do carry at all times, open and concealed.

I insist rules be followed but am fair in administering them. My nick name is "Lock Down Larry" because if they infringe, they lose. They respect me, and we all win.

Because I'm right and fair, I fear them not. BUT......I still carry.:dude:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps, to the surprise of some, I would assume many former inmates are not looking to repeat their tour of duty in jail and if they are mad at anyone, it is typically not toward the people that "handled" them in jail, as long as they were treated fairly. For you correctional officers, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know. Of course I said most, some, sure perhaps want to take advantage of or hurt anyone that has had anything to do with their capture, prosecution, or incarceration. A job not for me. I would be too damn paranoid and would be held up in a compound except when I'd have to go to work (yeah, fitting, my own prison).

Dreamer

imported post

Tek,

Actually your assumption is incorrect. According to DOJ statistics, the USA has an average recidivism rate of approximately 60%, and criminals who steal things (robbery, burglary, automobile theft, larceny) range between 72% and 78%.

According to most studies, a statistical majority of criminals actually DO go back to a life of crime after release, and a statistical majority of them get caught and re-incarcerated.I have a friend who is a Corrections Officer in MD, and he has a MD PCCW. In MD, Corrections officers do not have the power of arrest, and so aren't covered by the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. But he has threats on his life and that of his family made on a weekly basis, so he had no difficulty getting his MD permit.

He takes these threats VERY seriously. And since most of the criminals he deals with (even the violent ones) will most likely be released in short time (because MD has such bad overcrowding), he has EVERY reason to believe that some of them may actually attempt to make good on their threats. Luckily, none have yet, but he's not taking any chances. Funny thing is, his wife can't get a permit...

Criminals--especially violent ones--rarely "reform" while incarcerated. Most of them return immediately to their criminal ways upon release. And many of them end up going through their entire life, in and out of the "revolving door" of our "justice" system.

If you don't think released criminals go right back to their evil ways, just ask the families of those four cops in WA if they think Maurice Clemmons had "reformed"...

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Tek,

Actually your assumption is incorrect. According to DOJ statistics, the USA has an average recidivism rate of approximately 60%, and criminals who steal things (robbery, burglary, automobile theft, larceny) range between 72% and 78%.

According to most studies, a statistical majority of criminals actually DO go back to a life of crime after release, and a statistical majority of them get caught and re-incarcerated.I have a friend who is a Corrections Officer in MD, and he has a MD PCCW. In MD, Corrections officers do not have the power of arrest, and so aren't covered by the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. But he has threats on his life and that of his family made on a weekly basis, so he had no difficulty getting his MD permit.

He takes these threats VERY seriously. And since most of the criminals he deals with (even the violent ones) will most likely be released in short time (because MD has such bad overcrowding), he has EVERY reason to believe that some of them may actually attempt to make good on their threats. Luckily, none have yet, but he's not taking any chances. Funny thing is, his wife can't get a permit...

Criminals--especially violent ones--rarely "reform" while incarcerated. Most of them return immediately to their criminal ways upon release. And many of them end up going through their entire life, in and out of the "revolving door" of our "justice" system.

If you don't think released criminals go right back to their evil ways, just ask the families of those four cops in WA if they think Maurice Clemmons had "reformed"...

Well, I am certainly educated on the statistics. As for my incorrect assumption, I'll have to eat that, but I trust few people but strangely I believe people CAN change... yet once you're a criminal, you will always be a criminal. So I don't want anyone here to think I have a false sense of security around felons. Honestly, I treat strangers with the same level of awareness. As far as criminals going in and out of the system, well, I guess it was wishful thinking. To hell with the 60% that are returning to prison then.

simmonsjoe

imported post

The vast majority of murderers are multiple felons.
A disturbing number are on parole.
This is why I stress harsher punishment gunlaws that actually affect these people.
(Like Richmond, VA's project EXILE)
Oddly, EXILE, one of the most successful projects in the US for reducing homicide rates, did not affect a single non-criminal gun owner. Moreover it only enforced laws already on the books. So, didn't affect lawful gun owners, didn't require new laws....

WTF are Bloomberg and Brady and the like doing again??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Hmmmm, I'll take some of that EXILE for North Carolina.
Project Exile was not without its serious detractors.

"Opposing Project Exile was a coalition consisting of every other pro-gun rights group in the U.S. besides the NRA. A "Project Exile Condemnation Petition" was launched by Brian Puckett of GunTruths.com, Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America, Angel Shamaya of KeepAndBearArms.com, and former NRA director Russ Howard. Other prominent opponents who were members of this anti-Exile coalition included Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, Libertarian Party presidential candidate Harry Browne, and sci-fi writer L. Neil Smith."

Gun crime in Norfolk. Va, which did not have Exile dropped more in the same time frame than did Richmond with Exile.

http://ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/pubs/gun_violence/profile38.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile

Yata hey

simmonsjoe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
Hmmmm, I'll take some of that EXILE for North Carolina.
Project Exile was not without its serious detractors.

"Opposing Project Exile was a coalition consisting of every other pro-gun rights group in the U.S. besides the NRA. A "Project Exile Condemnation Petition" was launched by Brian Puckett of GunTruths.com, Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America, Angel Shamaya of KeepAndBearArms.com, and former NRA director Russ Howard. Other prominent opponents who were members of this anti-Exile coalition included Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, Libertarian Party presidential candidate Harry Browne, and sci-fi writer L. Neil Smith."

Gun crime in Norfolk. Va, which did not have Exile dropped more in the same time frame than did Richmond with Exile.

http://ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/pubs/gun_violence/profile38.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile

Yata hey
Interesting. thnx.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

proud_to_serveUSAF wrote:
Sorry grapeshot. I should've clarified. That's my nephew but I treat him and the nieces like they're my own. haha. I should've put "extended family".
Zokay - kudos to dad-to-be-some-day then. :)

You look like a natural.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If you call anybody, call Lori's photographer.

We've found the new poster boys for OCDO. :D

Yata hey

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

Hahaha. The antis would have a field day w/ this Thanksgiving picture then. lol. they say danger. I say I'm teaching him the safety early so he won't be in danger. He knows not to ever touch even this BB gun w/o an adult around. We even unloaded it and tried setting him up one time by leaving it out. He did exactly what I told him to. If he ever sees a gun sitting out, go find an adult and let them know. Don't touch it. He came running in to tell my dad. Lol

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
If you call anybody, call Lori's photographer.

We've found the new poster boys for OCDO. :D

Yata hey
Haha. He loves shooting my old BB gun. I'm trying to teach him and his sisters early. He keeps asking me when he gets to go to shoot the real guns. I told him when he's old enough it won't knock him down. haha. I've gotten a lot of crap from my mother about it, but their parents think it's great I teach them this stuff. Too many kids would be, "OH COOL A GUN" and not know what it really does. I've taken them to the range to watch before so the kids can understand how dangerous a real one is if they ever find one. They know enough to keep them a little scaredand enoughto be safe.