• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alaska carry bill possible?

suntzu

imported post

Please write your state representative and ask him/her to support an Alaskan style carry bill in this upcoming legislative session--this would remove the provision requiring us to have a permit to OC/CC and would decriminalize the mere possession of a firearm by law abiding citizens in this state. The only reason we should need a permit is to carry in other states--and that should be the only reason we should have to get one.

We need to let them know that this is something that we want.

old dog

imported post

Interesting idea. I'm somewhat dubious when I look around at a lot of the people but let's bat it around.

I believe the issue has been raised in Montana. I haven't read the comments but there is some opposition there.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The opposition is the must notify and disarm clause in Alaska law.
But an Alaska like bill could remove those bad parts.

Food for thought. Does a no license state with reciprocity with
another state allow unlicensed carry in both states?
Is not reciprocity agreement between both states? I hate to let
the anti big gov types know about this train of thought, but since you
have it now with other states, and just change a few words to remove
your license........ So your lack of a license would have to be treated as
that states license.:lol: Then the other states citizens use equal protection to
also be unlicensed carry and everyone wins.
Just give us a heads up to get an AG who will not enact new restrictive
gun laws in this state by reneging on agreements between us.

suntzu

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I'd be happy to see TN adopt a "no permit required for OC" like Ky has. Doing away with permits here could botch our ability to carry in other states.
we don't have to do away with the permit entirely--give the people the option to get it if they want to carry in other states--simply do away with the requirement to have a permit to carry one in Tennessee. Alaska's permit allows them to carry in multiple states, but they don't have to have it to carry in Alaska--I don't see why TN can't adopt a similar idea.

I want mine to go a bit farther though--no permit to carry in-state, no ability for any city/county/state entity to restrict our right to carry except for court rooms--but allow carry in court houses in general--because many county commission meetings are conducted in court houses.

No stupid "opt out" proposal, and if businesses post "no firearms allowed" then they immediately become completely and totally financially liable for any injuries which occur on their property as a result of a crime being committed on their property.

If home owners wish to restrict firearms on their property--then they too should be financially liable for injuries received as a result of a criminal act carried out on their property--and they should have to post pursuant to law--tells the criminals who is and is not most likely armed.

I would also ideally want it to be made more difficult for leos to disarm you without sufficient reason to believe you pose a threat--incoherently mumbling "officer safety" should not be enough to justify disarming everyone they come into contact with.

I want it to be made to the point that mere possession of a holstered firearm is not sufficient grounds absent other circumstances to justify a Terry stop, and is most definitely not grounds to draw on you or treat you like a public enemy.

My idea for an unrestricted carry bill would make the brady bunch and the government lovers go :what:

suntzu

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I'd be happy to see TN adopt a "no permit required for OC" like Ky has. Doing away with permits here could botch our ability to carry in other states.
simply doing away with the permit requirement to OC will not stop the investigatory stops by leos--because departments, absent major lawsuits would have no interest in communicating that no permit is required to OC...look at Wisconsin as a perfect example--OC is the only way to carry there, and they are just ripe for a major civil rights lawsuit considering cities continue to harass OC'ers even though it is the only legal way to carry...Unfortunately they only seem to understand the loss of money.

protias

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
simply doing away with the permit requirement to OC will not stop the investigatory stops by leos--because departments, absent major lawsuits would have no interest in communicating that no permit is required to OC...look at Wisconsin as a perfect example--OC is the only way to carry there, and they are just ripe for a major civil rights lawsuit considering cities continue to harass OC'ers even though it is the only legal way to carry...Unfortunately they only seem to understand the loss of money.
Yup, gotta love our laws here. We have to jump through so many hoops, but at long as Diamond Jim Doylet is in office, we will have no CC bill. We are working hard here to bring people's attention the right to bear arms. Our State Constitution says we can carry but we have a law forbidding CC and the DNR laws prohibit us to carry in our vehicles. I guess the old say is true, "A right not exercised is a right lost."

I don't see the point in having an AK style carry as the 2nd Amendment in the US Constitution says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This is good wording if people would actually read it rightly. VT carry would be better and is actually the correct way to do it.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

protias wrote:

I don't see the point in having an AK style carry as the 2nd Amendment in the US Constitution says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This is good wording if people would actually read it rightly. VT carry would be better and is actually the correct way to do it.
At last it all makes sense.....
If the states are not free then the 2A does not apply. Don't know how I didn't see
this before now. End run around the constitution without violating it.:banghead::banghead:

Wish we had a judge to look at a well regulated state militia used to oppress
the citizens is unconstitutional as well by the governments own reasoning.
Then without the militia in the state all that is left is the armed citizen not being infringed.:celebrate

It is so simple even Al Gore could follow this reasoning.

protias

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
protias wrote:

At last it all makes sense.....
If the states are not free then the 2A does not apply. Don't know how I didn't see
this before now. End run around the constitution without violating it.:banghead::banghead:

Wish we had a judge to look at a well regulated state militia used to oppress
the citizens is unconstitutional as well by the governments own reasoning.
Then without the militia in the state all that is left is the armed citizen not being infringed.:celebrate

It is so simple even Al Gore could follow this reasoning.
Well, read it again, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

;)

Carry on!

ProguninTN

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
we don't have to do away with the permit entirely--give the people the option to get it if they want to carry in other states--simply do away with the requirement to have a permit to carry one in Tennessee. Alaska's permit allows them to carry in multiple states, but they don't have to have it to carry in Alaska--I don't see why TN can't adopt a similar idea.

I want mine to go a bit farther though--no permit to carry in-state, no ability for any city/county/state entity to restrict our right to carry except for court rooms--but allow carry in court houses in general--because many county commission meetings are conducted in court houses.

No stupid "opt out" proposal, and if businesses post "no firearms allowed" then they immediately become completely and totally financially liable for any injuries which occur on their property as a result of a crime being committed on their property.

If home owners wish to restrict firearms on their property--then they too should be financially liable for injuries received as a result of a criminal act carried out on their property--and they should have to post pursuant to law--tells the criminals who is and is not most likely armed.

I would also ideally want it to be made more difficult for leos to disarm you without sufficient reason to believe you pose a threat--incoherently mumbling "officer safety" should not be enough to justify disarming everyone they come into contact with.

I want it to be made to the point that mere possession of a holstered firearm is not sufficient grounds absent other circumstances to justify a Terry stop, and is most definitely not grounds to draw on you or treat you like a public enemy.

My idea for an unrestricted carry bill would make the brady bunch and the government lovers go :what:
The major obstacle to removing the carry requirement is in the TN Constitution. Article I Sec. 26:

That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime. Notice the last part, granting the legislature the power to regulate carry. Remove that power, and then you can get major progress.

suntzu

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
The major obstacle to removing the carry requirement is in the TN Constitution. Article I Sec. 26:

That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime. Notice the last part, granting the legislature the power to regulate carry. Remove that power, and then you can get major progress.
Yeah, I have read that many times. The State Constitution has been amended several times--lastly in 2003, but all the legislature has to do is amend the applicable state laws--in order to get the changes we need.

What I want to know--exactly what crimes have been prevented by the legislature regulating the wearing of arms--answer is obvious--none.

We need to start a major writing campaign to every pro-gun representative and senator in Nashville and each of us needs to get a petition started in our respective county and then after we collect signatures we can deliver them all to the state legislature.

If the unrestricted carry of firearms is our objective, we need to make effort to get the laws changed instead of just sitting on the sidelines wishing we could get it.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

No one said if you go with Alaska style carry that you have to adopt it with all the restrictions that AK may apply. Alaska also maintains a permit for reciprocity purposes if an AK resident needs to travel to the lower 48.