• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a Sig P220 Carry

ForceofWill

imported post

New guy here, been reading and lurking for a little while. I've decided to post up a question after some searching and calling.

I've been trying to find someone in Hampton Roads that has a Sig P220 Carry Elite, preferably the Dark model. I can't find them anywhere. My only hope so far is from the Armory in VA beach. He says he's checking with another one of his Sig reps after checking with one already, but still has no idea how long it will take to get one.

The only other way I can think of to try and get one is from a place online, but I know nothing about this FFL shipping to dealer thing. I've never bought a handgun before online and have no idea what all it entails. Is it a PITA, and do you have to end up paying the dealer it's sent to a lot of money so they'll allow it shipped there? Anyone here ever bought online and had to have it shipped to a local dealer?

architect

imported post

ForceofWill wrote:
Anyone here ever bought online and had to have it shipped to a local dealer?
Just picked up a used P228 bought from Top Gun Supply's website. I bought this last Tuesday, it was actually available for pickup Saturday, but I couldn't get to it until today. A quick check of the TGS website shows they have the 220R3-45-DSE in stock. My previous online purchase, from a dealer-placed GunBroker auction, went almost as smoothly.

The key is to buy from a reputable seller, pay by credit card, and make sure you follow the rules of your receiving FFL. For example, some FFLs refuse to receive transfers from individuals, only from other FFLs.

When you buy from a dealer on-line, you pay for the firearm, and notify the dealer of the FFL you intend to use for the transfer. You must notify your FFL of an incoming transfer, and arrange for the dealer to get a copy of the FFL's license (unless they have it on file). The dealer will ship to the FFL and the FFL will notify you when it has arrived. Then you go to the FFL, fill out the forms, have the background check done, pay the transfer fee, and take your new baby straight to the range.

45acpForMe

imported post

I buy both online and from local dealers. Both are easy but I have gotten my best deals online.

The Marksman in Newport News has a $25 transfer fee plust the $2 for the state background check. So after you pay for it online, if you had it shipped to them it would cost you $27 to pick it up. Each dealer has a different trasfer rate so call them and ask.

I have the P220 Stainless elite but not the carry version. The Marksman is a Sig dealer and can order it for you but other dealers probably could also. I don't see many other Sig fans on this forum and am always happy to see another one come online. :)

Come to one of our dinners and we can compare notes.

Edited to add: Typically you have your FFL fax their info to the seller and they take care of it from there.

ForceofWill

imported post

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'm on duty right now on my phone so can't type a lot. I was thinking a lot more than 25 for the fee. That's good to know. I'll have to talk to dealers tomorrow and maybe just buy it online. I really want to start getting some range time in with it lol.

Definately need to start dinners. I just got my Hampton chp and joined vcdl recently, well paid the dues. Gotta wait for member info and stuff. Can't wait to start open carrying.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

One other thing. If the seller will take it, pay with an AMEX. There is a tremendous amount of protection there, plus, they offer an additional 1 year warranty after the factory warranty expires.

I have bought many things with a lifetime warranty using AMEX, and fully expect them to repair or replace them, a year after my demise:banghead:

ForceofWill

imported post

Just bought the 220 Carry Elite Dark from Topgun and went down to "The Armory" and filled out all the paperwork. Apparently they've had stuff from topgun shipped there before, so it should all go smooth. I can't wait to pick it up and hit the range!!!

Thanks again guys for the info on everything. It turned out to be much easier and cheaper than I had imagined.

ForceofWill

imported post

Finally picked her up today. Put hogue grips on it, I really like the look of the aluminum ones it comes with but I love the handle and feel of the hogue ones. Won't be able to go to the range until Saturday :( I can't wait!

Pic with the Serpa

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

Pic with the original aluminum grips
DSC_0399.jpg

45acpForMe

imported post

Nice, let me know how you like the grips. I can't bring myself to remove the rosewood grips on my stainless but maybe on my carry version.

I have a pancake SERPA and find I prefer the belt version. While pancake holsters are supposedly nice to remove without dropping drawers, they usually stick so well it looks like you are wrestling with yourself to get it off. :) I figure it is simpler to undo the belt and I rarely find myself needing to remove it anyway.

See you at the dinner tomorrow.

One other question, is the guide rod steel or carbon fiber? The last P220 I bought (Equinox) came with a carbon fiber guide rod. Not sure if Sig is switching to them for all models or just some.