• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercise our 1a rights to support our 2a rights!

Aryk45XD

imported post

This just means we can all gather OC outside, check in our firearms, and speak our mind. This sounds like a great plan to me.

gogodawgs wrote:

However, please be advised that the Washington NC City Council meetings are held in the Municipal Building, which also houses the City Jail, and therefore is a "no carry zone". I'm still researching Greenville's meeting site...

1245A Defender

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
This just means we can all gather OC outside, check in our firearms, and speak our mind. This sounds like a great plan to me.

gogodawgs wrote:

However, please be advised that the Washington NC City Council meetings are held in the Municipal Building, which also houses the City Jail, and therefore is a "no carry zone". I'm still researching Greenville's meeting site...
hey Aryk45XD please note that gogodawgsquote is from a post in "no. carolina"!! you must check the washington state laws about the building that the meeting will be held in. i havent looked but you very well may be able to open carry while you tell the councel what you have on your mind! i dont know, and i wont be going, but id like to know what you folks find out about open carry, and the availlability of lock boxes at that location.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok, I am going to try and start posting city council dates and pertinent information for January.

I am going to start with my home town of Federal Way. Next meeting is January 5th at 7pm. Citizens are limited to 3 minutes speaking time. I will be preparing my speach. It appears that the city makes a video and posts it online of thier meetings. If there are others who would like to be in attendance let me know.

[align=justify]City Council Meetings:
City Council meetings are held on the 1[suP]st[/suP] and 3[suP]rd[/suP] Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in Council Chambers at City Hall. The agenda and Council packets are available online and at City Hall on the Friday prior to the upcoming meeting.

Meeting minutes are posted online following approval at the next regular meeting. The meeting agenda consists of presentations, citizen comment time, consent agenda (items previously reviewed at the Committee level), public hearings, council business, ordinances, reports and executive sessions. All meetings, except executive sessions, are open to the public.
Meeting agendas,minutes, and videosare available on the Public Meeting Minutes and Agendas page. Notifications of City Council information via email can be obtained through the City's e-subscribe system.For further information contactCarol McNeilly, City Clerk at 253-85-2540
or email
carol.mcneilly@cityoffederalway.com.
[/align]

Lante

imported post

Just a thought on commenting at city council meetings. Sounds like a good idea, if the members of the OCDO group present well. (I am sure everyone will. :cool:)

As we have seen the media use public shootings to advance gun control, we should use it to support open carry. Maybe something along these lines?
Like an estimated 44 million other law abiding Americans I have been carrying a firearm for ____ yrs, in light of the recent police shootings, by those who choose to live outside the law, I come here to inform this council, our police, and the citizens of _______ that I will be carrying my firearm openly in support of our police and civilized society.

[align=left]I suspect a supportive statement, coupled with an appearance appropriate to a council meeting would get our position on record in a positive non confrontational manner.

*statistic from http://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/165476.txt
Code:
Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms. 

Series: NIJ Research in Brief
Published: May 1997
20 pages
41,893 bytes

National Institute of Justice
Research in Brief

Jeremy Travis, Director
May 1997
[/align]

Aryk45XD

imported post

I think this could be something much bigger. Who would stop a lot of us from from voicing our rights??? at least until we had the time to put it on record and leave in peace? There would be so much awe that I think it would really smack them into waking up. What kind of BG would try anything if everyone was peacefully carrying, with only the people's best interest at stake? I love the ideas floating here, and I know this could be big.

Edit: I'm new to WA AND carry, but had them since I was 10... military and all. Anyway, I'm here and ready to settle in this state, but don't know much about it. I think I've already convinced others to carry and love feeling safe.

PS, Dedicating this to my Grandfather: Sandoval R.I.P.
l_f4b3edc137229271c1193f9cebcf9e8b.jpg