• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercise our 1a rights to support our 2a rights!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok team....

I have stolen this idea from the general 'Why I Carry' section... because I think it is exellent and well thought out!

I recently saw a post in one of the threads here (in one of the State sections, I think...) where someone recommended that OC'ers go to their respective City Council meetings and during the "Public Comments" time of the meetings, inform their local City Council and LEOs that they will be OCing, and that unlawful harassment or infringement of their rights will not be acceptable. He argued that since such announcements are entered into the public record, that it is just one more way for us, as OCers, to cover our legal behinds, and that it removes the excuse from local LEO's that they didn't know who we are or why we were carrying...

So I propose this:

We're always barking on this forum about our 2A rights, but it seems that few of us have taken the opportunity to publicly exercise our 1A rights in support and defense of our RKBA. Perhaps we could draft "statements" for each state, citing statute and case law in support of Open Carry, and take this guy's advise and enter these statements into the Public Record. If EVERYONE who was OCing did this, it would produce a number of results--all positive in my opinion:

1) local LEO's and governments would be officially ON NOTICE that harassment and unlawful detention and searches will NOT be tolerated, and will be met with legal action, as they are in violation of State statutes, Federal Law ("color of law" prohibitions), and Case Law, and

2) The perceived numbers of law-abiding citizens who are OCers would be greatly increased in the eyes of our elected officials, and that would show them that we're not just a few lone gun-nuts, but a growing, vibrant, and well-educated segment of the population, and

3) It serves to cover our butts, because such statements entered into the public record become legally binding to the government and to local LEO's, and erase their "we didn't know who you were or what you were doing" excuse for stopping us and intimidating us for lawful OC.

I'm drafting my own statement (and publishing it here for comment), and planing to attend the City Council Meetings in Washington NC and Greenville NC (where I live, and where I do most of my shopping) at their next sessions in January. If there are any OCers who want to join me, any support would be appreciated.

However, please be advised that the Washington NC City Council meetings are held in the Municipal Building, which also houses the City Jail, and therefore is a "no carry zone". I'm still researching Greenville's meeting site...

Imagine, if just 5 people did this in every town. They would think it was a trend.

Imagine if 10 people did this in every town--they might think it was some sort of organization.

And imagine if 100 people--yes, 100 people went to their City Council Meetings, announced that they were OC'ers, and walked out--they'd think it was a movement...

[align=right](apologies to Arlo Guthrie, and "Alice's Restaurant"...)
[/align]​

kito109654

imported post

Yup, saw that too and liked it. I'm not super confident at how it all works but tell me where to go and when and I'll do my part.

As far as the "covering our butts" part, does that apply the same way here in WA? Does it give us a better legal standing if we are harassed in some way by local authorities?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I am up for this, we are not breaking any laws since Seattle's law is preempted by the state. I don't feel a small crowd will make a dent we need a larger gathering.

So if you folks are serious we should start planning, I also feel not announcing the location is vital also.

kito109654

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I am up for this, we are not breaking any laws since Seattle's law is preempted by the state. I don't feel a small crowd will make a dent we need a larger gathering.

So if you folks are serious we should start planning, I also feel not announcing the location is vital also.
Why would it be illegal to voice our opinion at a City Council meeting?

PM chain for location and date? Sure, but why is that important?

tyguy808

imported post

I believe wha SVG is talking about is heading to a park or recreational facility. Which would NOT be illegal, but we all seen what happened when Warden announced what he was doing, in public.

I believe that if 20 or so guys showed up at Mertyl Edwards Park, OC'ing, unannounced, that the parks department wouldn't have the stones to try to eject them. Parks would call the cops and we'd find out what exactly SPD thinks of the ban.

kito109654

imported post

I wondered...because that's a different thread. I think you're right but I have my doubts that even 15 people from this group have the stones to try it.

tyguy808

imported post

I also think that there aren't alot of people here that would travel that far to make a point, or possibly go to jail. I truly believe that if it were closer to alot of guys homes that this group COULD put together a large enough contingent to make this happen. But, I think we have alot of country folk here that couldn't care less about Seattle. Maybe Seattle should be it's own state. :idea:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

So far we got six. I feel we need a lot more than that. This issue has divided some on this board who are waiting for SAF/to save us. Yet Noone has stated how this would hurt our cause. I for one feel it will further our cause.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also think that if this is done it should be done at different meetings. If 2 or 3 people show up at this weeks council meeting and next week someone else shows up and the following week another, perhaps a wife or girlfriend....

You get the point, it will look more normal if there are many different groups.

I am game for both Seattle and my hometown here in Federal Way.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I also think that if this is done it should be done at different meetings. If 2 or 3 people show up at this weeks council meeting and next week someone else shows up and the following week another, perhaps a wife or girlfriend....

You get the point, it will look more normal if there are many different groups.

I am game for both Seattle and my hometown here in Federal Way.

I have a hard time making it to Seattle I will for a open carry picnic.

But you should keep this thread open and update the differant times for city council meetings, and go if you can or invite others too. You have a great idea here.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

This is relevant to my interests... I'll keep an eye on this thread for a date. If I don't have work or school I'll do my best to make it.