• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Requesting property after investigation?

killchain

imported post

Why in the hell did they take your concealed carry permit for an investigation?

Isn't that why we invented copy machines?

In the meantime I would request a replacement from the issuing agency, and call your lawyer. The last time a government agency kept people's "papers" they wore swastikas.

Ridiculous.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
There is no expectation of privacy in PUBLIC.

Cite please

Well, WA RCW states...

RCW 9.73.030
Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication — Consent required — Exceptions.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, it shall be unlawful for any individual, partnership, corporation, association, or the state of Washington, its agencies, and political subdivisions to intercept, or record any:

(..)

(b) Private conversation, by any device electronic or otherwise designed to record or transmit such conversation regardless how the device is powered or actuated without first obtaining the consent of all the persons engaged in the conversation.

(...)

(3) Where consent by all parties is needed pursuant to this chapter, consent shall be considered obtained whenever one party has announced to all other parties engaged in the communication or conversation, in any reasonably effective manner, that such communication or conversation is about to be recorded or transmitted: PROVIDED, That if the conversation is to be recorded that said announcement shall also be recorded.

As far as expectation of privacy goes....

State Vs. Glas

the Supreme Court in Washington state examined this question, and held that no privacy expectations exist in public places. In State v. Glas, the court overturned the criminal conviction of two defendants charged under Washington's voyeurism statute. [1]† The court focused on the plain language of the statute, finding it did not criminalize hostile intrusions of a person's privacy interests, but only images taken in a place where someone would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Enacted in 1998, section 9A.44.115 of the Revised Code of Washington, classifies voyeurism as a felony that occurs when a person:

[F]or the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person, he or she knowingly views, photographs, or films another person, without that person's knowledge and consent, while the person being viewed, photographed, or filmed is in a place where he or she would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. [2]†

This statute limits the places where individuals could expect privacy to places where a reasonable person would believe that (i) he or she could disrobe in privacy, without being concerned that his or her undressing was being photographed or filmed by another; or (ii) a place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance. [3]†

The case against Sean Glas and Richard Sorrells began after each was convicted of voyeurism for secretly taking pictures underneath women's skirts.

Mr. Glas was spotted in a local mall acting suspiciously while walking near two women. Both women reported seeing a flash, hearing a click, and noticing a small, silver camera in Mr. Glas' hand.

Mr. Sorrells's arrest came after witnesses reported seeing him standing in a concession line videotaping underneath the skirts of young girls. Appealing their convictions, both Mr. Glas and Mr. Sorrells argued that section 9A.44.115 was misapplied to them because the victims did not have reasonable privacy expectations in public places.

The court agreed, finding section 9A.44.115 did not prohibit up-skirt photography in a public place:

Considering that casual intrusions occur frequently when a person ventures out in public, it is illogical that this subsection would apply to public places. Casual surveillance frequently occurs in public.

Therefore, public places could not logically constitute locations where a person could reasonably expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance. oth Glas and Sorrells engaged in disgusting and reprehensible behavior. Nevertheless, we hold that Washington's voyeurism statute does not apply to actions taken in purely public places and hence does not prohibit the 'up-skirt' photographs they took. [4]

Trigger Dr

imported post

OK that covers photography when you cite State vs Glas. It is not applicable to audio

recording. No further comment from me re this.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

killchain wrote:

In the meantime I would request a replacement from the issuing agency, and call your lawyer. The last time a government agency kept people's "papers" they wore swastikas.

Ridiculous.

Apparently they needed to put the permit into evidence while they were investigating an incident.

I would go get a copy, the problem is, in Washington State, if your permit is taken into evidence, you can not get a duplicate, copy, etc. You have to requestthe permitfrom the investigating officer. When you go to the courthouse to fill out paperwork for a copy/duplicate, they have you sign a paper swearing that the permit was not taken from an officer as part of an investigation; obviously I didn't sign it.

I would prefer to keep the "reason" out of this, although, I will say that the investigation was closed about a month ago (ruled in my favor), and they are still withholding my property, including my permit (which is still active, but no good to me if I don't have it on my person). I have made many requests, but seem to be getting the run-around.

I hope they haven't lost my handgun.....that would really piss me off.

killchain

imported post

Really. I thought you could always get a replacement state/govermnet ID if it was lost, stolen or destroyed. I mean, I sure did when my Social Security card was destroyed in a fire, and my Army ID was replaced after I lost it on a weekend pass.

Which yours is technically "stolen" because they don't need the physical copy, never did, and never should.

I'd file for a replacement, mark it as "stolen", and talk to your attorney.

This is crap. They're messing with you.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

killchain wrote:
Really. I thought you could always get a replacement state/govermnet ID if it was lost, stolen or destroyed. I mean, I sure did when my Social Security card was destroyed in a fire, and my Army ID was replaced after I lost it on a weekend pass.

Which yours is technically "stolen" because they don't need the physical copy, never did, and never should.

I agree that IMO it was stolen, but signing a document that specifically says that you are stating that a LEO has not taken your permit for evidence would be criminal...it is a legal document I am signing.

You can get a replacement, as long as it wasn't confiscated by police.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

Ridiculous.

Apparently they needed to put the permit into evidence while they were investigating an incident.

I would go get a copy, the problem is, in Washington State, if your permit is taken into evidence, you can not get a duplicate, copy, etc. You have to requestthe permitfrom the investigating officer. When you go to the courthouse to fill out paperwork for a copy/duplicate, they have you sign a paper swearing that the permit was not taken from an officer as part of an investigation; obviously I didn't sign it.

I would prefer to keep the "reason" out of this, although, I will say that the investigation was closed about a month ago (ruled in my favor), and they are still withholding my property, including my permit (which is still active, but no good to me if I don't have it on my person). I have made many requests, but seem to be getting the run-around.

I hope they haven't lost my handgun.....that would really piss me off.
This is something else to talk to the lawyer. The only reason to take it would be if they were going to revoke it. I don't see any other reason, of course I like to know if there are other reasons they can do so. If this was the case and now the investigation is done. They need to immediately give you your property back.

killchain

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

I agree that IMO it was stolen, but signing a document that specifically says that you are stating that a LEO has not taken your permit for evidence would be criminal...it is a legal document I am signing.

You can get a replacement, as long as it wasn't confiscated by police
I did think about this a little bit:

They CAN take it if you're under investigation for something similar to brandishing.

But I would still file for a replacement.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

killchain wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

They CAN take it if you're under investigation for something similar to brandishing.

No, it wasn't for brandishing...I would never brandish a firearm, it either stays holstered or I shoot.

That is the thing, I can't file for a replacement because it was taken. This is one big.....ing mess. I am going to sort it out, and keep everyone up-to-date.

killchain

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

No, it wasn't for brandishing...I would never brandish a firearm, it either stays holstered or I shoot.

That is the thing, I can't file for a replacement because it was taken. This is one big.....ing mess. I am going to sort it out, and keep everyone up-to-date.
I wasn't implying anything, just mentioning it. :)

The GOOD NEWS is that you can open carry in Washington. So bust out another pistol and strap it to your side. :)

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

killchain wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

I wasn't implying anything, just mentioning it. :)

The GOOD NEWS is that you can open carry in Washington. So bust out another pistol and strap it to your side. :)
LOL, yea, I know I can....I just like CC'ing. I am probably going to start open carrying if this mess isn't cleared up soon. I have kids, and have not carried for months now when we are out, and about, and that bothers me very much.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:

LOL, yea, I know I can....I just like CC'ing. I am probably going to start open carrying if this mess isn't cleared up soon. I have kids, and have not carried for months now when we are out, and about, and that bothers me very much.

Beware once you do it you will like it.:lol:

Open carry to the meet if you want even if you don't still come and bring your kids.

If the case is closed be a hard #$$ and get your property back. They are just seeing how far they can push you now. Was there a prosecutor involved? Call his office or make a personal visit. Fill out complaint forms at the different agencies. I have a recording of Bellingham Police denying that they even have forms, which they did just didn't want to give them up. Speak to higher ups in whatever agency this is, there is always a bigger boss.

If it is as TriggerDr (I think) wrote make sure they pay the fine, they don't let most of us out of our fines when we get citations, so they too should pay.

amlevin

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

If the investigation is closed then the "exclusion", that a police officer has taken it for an investigation is no longer true. If they haven't returned it after the investigation was closed means that it is either illegally held by the Police (stolen) or merely lost because they can't find it to return it to you. It sure sounds like you would have an affirmative defense if anyone wanted to call you on the issue.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

If the investigation is closed then the "exclusion", that a police officer has taken it for an investigation is no longer true. If they haven't returned it after the investigation was closed means that it is either illegally held by the Police (stolen) or merely lost because they can't find it to return it to you. It sure sounds like you would have an affirmative defense if anyone wanted to call you on the issue.

That is what I am actually worried about, that they lost my permit, and that they lost my handgun....everytime I call the detective he asks me to remind him what it was I am requesting back, and then he says he has to look for the items.

I am curious, do they lose firearms during investigations?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
amlevin wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:

That is what I am actually worried about, that they lost my permit, and that they lost my handgun....everytime I call the detective he asks me to remind him what it was I am requesting back, and then he says he has to look for the items.

I am curious, do they lose firearms during investigations?
"Oops, we dropped it in front of this bulldozer!"
"Oops, we dropped it in a vat of molten steel!"

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

*sitting on a park bench at Greenlake, watching the kidsplay*.....*looks to her right where she is resting her arm* Stamped on the park-bench arm-rest "refurbished 9mm Smith & Wesson"

killchain

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
*sitting on a park bench at Greenlake, watching the kidsplay*.....*looks to her right where she is resting her arm* Stamped on the park-bench arm-rest "refurbished 9mm Smith & Wesson"

Shh. Don't say that too loud. They'll make a bench control activist group.