• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is

Ajetpilot

imported post

I have never understood why an eighteen year old can carry a gun in the defense of his/her country, but can't carry a gun in Washington State in defense of him/herself or the state. Where is the sense in that?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

So in theory;

I could carry around openly, and since I don't have to identify myself, they wouldn't know my true age, unless of course I committed a crime or traffic violation or whatever, and there could be no possible way for them to know I wouldn't be able to carry due to age? I am sure I read somewhere that officers can't do something just because they have a "hunch".

Is that correct or would I run into another problem?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
I have never understood why an eighteen year old can carry a gun in the defense of his/her country, but can't carry a gun in Washington State in defense of him/herself or the state. Where is the sense in that?
Because apparently individuals don't matter, your country does though!

Ever heard of dying for your country?

I never heard of "dying for yourself".

Brad Cowin

imported post

I didnt own a handgun at 18, but got my XD .45 at 19 years old and probably carried more than your average CPL holder from that point on. Never had any reason or desire to carry an empty holster when I didnt have my XD on me though.

About the only time I didnt carry it was at work and when I was on my motorcycle. It was always with me if I was driving somewhere or on foot though. No one ever saw it. No close calls with the police. Drive within the limits, and avoid situations where you're more likely to have a run in with an officer who doesn't care about your rights.

I've only been 21 for 2.5 months and Ive had my CPL all but 10 of those days and Ive still yet to have an encounter with any form of law enforcement. Granted Ive only OCed on about 20 occasions, but its just something to maybe help put your mind at ease if you decide to "jump the gun" a bit. I was always worrying; what if the stores anti-theft alarm inadvertently goes off as I'm leaving? What if the guy in front of me in line tries to rob the place? What if Im actually threatened enough that I need to draw and/or use my weapon? What if Im rendered unconscious in an car accident? Well none of those situations arose. Nor did I ever need my weapon though.

Brad Cowin

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
So in theory;

I could carry around openly, and since I don't have to identify myself, they wouldn't know my true age, unless of course I committed a crime or traffic violation or whatever, and there could be no possible way for them to know I wouldn't be able to carry due to age? I am sure I read somewhere that officers can't do something just because they have a "hunch".

I never had the stones to try this. Thought about it a lot though. Leave any form of ID behind and its really pretty bulletproof IMO.

All that ever worried me about it was running into that one cop who doesnt feel he needs to follow the book in regards to detaining or arresting people.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Brad Cowin

Thanks for that, it really helps more, when I hear it from someone who is/was in the same situation with similar thoughts.

But there is always that race issue. I frequent the south seattle,downtown and tukwila area a lot. And those cops aren't nice to people that aren't "normal" looking.

I can bet I look a lot different from a lot of folks here, seeing your OC picnic pictures, I would stand out like BOIFDIJGERGIOREMNE!

kito109654

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
So in theory;

Theoretically, sure, but there is more of a chance of a run-in with a LEO if you're open carrying. After all, they have to respond to MWAG (man with a gun) 911 calls. And you can bet they'll want to see ID, which you don't have to show them...until you return to your vehicle (assuming you're in a retail store, where this sort of thing tends to happen most). Basically, it's not worth the risk.

But, hypothetically (I'm not encouraging illegal behavior), concealing could be worth the risk of misdemeanor due to how low the potential is for it to be seen. You would just need to be wary of metal detectors and such. When have you ever been frisked? It's pretty darn rare. Just make sure you're concealing well, hypothetically speaking.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

kito109654 wrote
But, hypothetically (I'm not encouraging illegal behavior), concealing could be worth the risk of misdemeanor due to how low the potential is for it to be seen. You would just need to be wary of metal detectors and such. When have you ever been frisked? It's pretty darn rare. Just make sure you're concealing well, hypothetically speaking.
I am not encouraging illegal behavior either, but I am encouraging myself to stay alive, and if that means a misdemeanor is a possibility, that's a chance I am willing to take.

Now if I get this straight,
If I don't have ID on me, and have not commited any crime, then they can't take me down to the station to fingerprint me and check out who I am? As long as I am not guilty of whatever correct?

kito109654

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
kito109654 wrote
I am not encouraging illegal behavior either, but I am encouraging myself to stay alive, and if that means a misdemeanor is a possibility, that's a chance I am willing to take.

Now if I get this straight,
If I don't have ID on me, and have not commited any crime, then they can't take me down to the station to fingerprint me and check out who I am? As long as I am not guilty of whatever correct?
I'm not a lawyer but I'd say that's correct. Don't be found entering a vehicle if this happens though...you must leave on foot. For me, it would be useless though, I can't remember the last time I went somewhere without getting in a vehicle.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Ugh, I don't drive, but I still have to unload to get on a bus. Now I am all pumped up, I need to go to the marksman in puyallup on a wednesday and try out the handguns!

kito109654

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Ugh, I don't drive, but I still have to unload to get on a bus. Now I am all pumped up, I need to go to the marksman in puyallup on a wednesday and try out the handguns!
Carefully consider your procedure before getting on the bus. How will you avoid "brandishing" and what do you keep on you that will be an opaque and secure wrapper, et cetera.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

kito109654 wrote
Carefully consider your procedure before getting on the bus. How will you avoid "brandishing" and what do you keep on you that will be an opaque and secure wrapper, et cetera.
Wouldn't I be carrying concealed anyway? I must find a handgun that has an easy mag release button that I could push while having it IWB. The thread I was reading a couple days ago by rsdan, where he carried in a opaque holster was pretty freaking bold. I'll still have to take this slowly, finding the right handgun first, then the training, even though danger is all around in the meantime....

kito109654

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
kito109654 wrote
Wouldn't I be carrying concealed anyway? I must find a handgun that has an easy mag release button that I could push while having it IWB. The thread I was reading a couple days ago by rsdan, where he carried in a opaque holster was pretty freaking bold. I'll still have to take this slowly, finding the right handgun first, then the training, even though danger is all around in the meantime....
I'm getting confused then...why would you disarm if you're concealing? Why bother following that law if you're going to forego the CPL? See what I'm saying?

I wouldn't risk disarming, it's just a chance for someone to see the weapon, which you cannot afford. If one were to hypothetically conceal without a license, they would be best served to hide it before they leave their home and not touch it at all until they are back inside their home. Don't handle it.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about concealing, but yeah that seems like a better idea. Leave it alone until I am in danger. Is there are a harsher penalty for having a loaded gun in a vehicle without CPL? I am not that good at using the RCW, and it said something about a civil infraction?

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
dont forget they also have a layaway plan too, but I think Cabelas layaway is better. Marksman does have a good selection though. Plenty of ammo all the time.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I don't drive and Lacey is a long bus ride away. But usually I don't buy things until I have all the cash required, which gives me time to think about my decisions anyways. Is the ammo there fairly priced? But even if it wasn't I'd have to use their ammo for their handguns.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Brad Cowin

Thanks for that, it really helps more, when I hear it from someone who is/was in the same situation with similar thoughts.

But there is always that race issue. I frequent the south seattle,downtown and tukwila area a lot. And those cops aren't nice to people that aren't "normal" looking.

I can bet I look a lot different from a lot of folks here, seeing your OC picnic pictures, I would stand out like BOIFDIJGERGIOREMNE!

Sad to say there is some truth to that, but you can be the guy to help break the stereotypes and make it easier for others who feel similar to you. Of course make sure you are totally on the up and up and doing everything by the book. That goes for anyone no matter what there "background" is.

Come to the gathering so there will be even a more diverse pictures to post.:celebrate

.45ACPaddy

imported post

There's a place that has better prices than the marksman. Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood on Pacific Highway has awesome prices.