• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges not letting shooters practice real world shooting.

SlowDog

imported post

Every range I have been to including the ones ran by the DNR gestappo won't let people practice in what is a "Real World Scenario".

I was taught in several training courses over the years that you shoot like you would in real life in a hi stress situation and you are more apt to come out alive. When in the military we would train our men with this hi intensity hi stress muscle memory building type of shooting. It can be done safely and is very effective for placing first two shots on target from the Hi-ready position & the holster draw.

Is there any ranges where I can do this or do I have to wait til spring thaw and go to the country. I know they are worried for safety sake but I would like to know I am shooting as proficiently as possible.....any & all chime in please.

Yooper

imported post

Just go out in the sticks somewhere, set up a couple quick targets, and blast away.

The snow shouldn't stop you (does it even snow down there :p ), it doesn't stop me, even if it's waist deep

Michigander

imported post

It seems the bulk of Michigan gun ranges are plagued by this idiocy. The lack of these moronic policies is one of many things I miss badly about Arizona.

I suggest going to the Pit in Lapeer. I know it's cold and will probably get colder, but bad guys operate in the cold too, so I think it's only sensible to shoot in the dead of winter. It gives you valuable practice, and it lets you know if your gun and lubricants are up to snuff when it gets ball bustingly cold out.

mcintosh02

imported post

Advanced Ranges in Flint/Burton. It's a great new indoor range with a awesome staff and a clean, modern facility. I go whenever I can afford it.

It might bea little far for you, but then again, I live in Grand blanc and drive to Warren for work every day. My perception of distance tends to be skewed.

jeremy05

imported post

It's not a bad policy. You have to remember that most the people who go to the range are very bad at shooting! I have worked at a gun range and I can tell you this, I would not want to be inside the range with half the people i have seen shoot.

Try talking to the manager first, some places have split ranges or a open lane far away from the other shooters you could practice. If you tell them what you want to do and explain that you are not a inexperienced shooter it may help.

You can always just go to some random outdoor place in the sticks too.

T Vance

imported post

SlowDog wrote: What's January 2nd? A shooting event?:lol::what::lol:

The day after Deer Hunting, which means me and my rifle are welcomed back to State land in the "Shotgun Zone".

SlowDog

imported post

Nope. There is a private land Late Season Doe hunt in early Jan. They in their infinite ignorance might try to claim you was out tryin to take a deer with your rifle instead of you out practicing like a good American should.

hercprsound

imported post

Ok, so If I want to go outside to do some shooting, how do I know if I'm on someones property, or state land, or whatever. Basically what I need to know, is how do I know where I am is a legal place to shoot. Is there someplace that lists what is legal, and what is not? i.e. how far away from roads and buildings do I have to be. Are there any other restrictions I need to know about?

Better yet, is there anyplace in northern Oakland County (near clarkston) that I can go to that you know of?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Advanced Ranges Inc. 810 715 2000

1096 N. Center Rd. Burton MI 48509 (within sight of Flint city limits)

www.advancedranges.net

You can open carry, you can holster draw, double tap, rapid fire, whatever. Finally a gun store for shooters. They even said I can bring my 7 year old to shoot. It will be her first time at a range, and the first time she gets to shoot something bigger than a BB gun.

They dont have much of a selection, but their target contrlos are the best I have ever seen. The place is clean, and well ventilated, open 9am. to 9 pm.

This place also beleives that the criminal will probably not stand up straight, facing you, at 21 feet away while holding still so as you can blast em.

I wont shoot anywhere else.