Thread: Chest Rigs

Post imported post

I have noticed a short supply of Blackwater gear since it is getting discontinued...I very much liked the low-profile chest rig they used to sell. I have been buying what I can from disco/clearance sales, ebay, etc...

Does anyone know if another product is similar/superior?

The Blackwater rig was very flat and has an extra pocket behind the mag pockets for maps, ID, etc...the molle on the front allows extra mag pouches to be added. The velcro tabs seem a lot faster than other options I have seen. I have used this rig in three gun matches, training, etc...and it runs very fast...

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5164.php

Post imported post

bump...

Post imported post

I prefer blackhawks gear and their quality is hard to beat.
    http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Chest-Rigs,2.htm
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

Damiansar-15 wrote:
    I have noticed a short supply of Blackwater gear since it is getting discontinued...I very much liked the low-profile chest rig they used to sell. I have been buying what I can from disco/clearance sales, ebay, etc...

Does anyone know if another product is similar/superior?

The Blackwater rig was very flat and has an extra pocket behind the mag pockets for maps, ID, etc...the molle on the front allows extra mag pouches to be added. The velcro tabs seem a lot faster than other options I have seen. I have used this rig in three gun matches, training, etc...and it runs very fast...

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5164.php
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I ran PSDs in Iraq while wearing a Blackhawk Chest Rig, but what is the point of wearing this in the civilian world unless you intend to use it for "other" than civilian purposes?
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    I ran PSDs in Iraq while wearing a Blackhawk Chest Rig, but what is the point of wearing this in the civilian world unless you intend to use it for "other" than civilian purposes?
    Training classes. like the classes that get profiled in SWAT magazine.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    Many use them for airsoft. I've got the BlackWater I-O Zip Rack which is similar. It doesn't have the mag/map pockets.

http://www.botachtactical.com/bliozipra.html

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    Civilans need battle rattle gear, as well, e.g. Katrina. I usually use the Blackwater low-profile gear for training, huntingand three-gun matches( http://www.redshiftracing.com/comptac/). I run with a .458 Socom for pig hunting and the low-profile chest rig is fast. I want to take one of Paul Howe's training classes that is more combat focused than the typical defensive firearms class. So, I purchased Blackwater's IO Zip Plate Carrier With Pouches Black, but this seems over kill for most situations. Blackwater sold great gear, I am sorry that they aren't making it anymore...

I guess I will be switching to the Blackhawk stuff...

Post imported post

Lapolicegear.com has the 5.11 molle rigs you can get but I would encourage you to get a us army issue chest rig on ebay seeing that it can actually stand up to some use.

Post imported post

Read Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor and you will see how well Military special ops gear holds up.... not well...Blackwater gear is very well made and it is a shame that they are phasing it out

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    Buying gear just for a training class is the wrong reason to buy gear. Train like you fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

It could be said that since we never know when there may be a temporary distruption of Rule of Law, that being prepared for such an unpredicatble situation is not that bad of an idea. So these classes may not be practical for most, but if you have the time and enjoy it, it could end up being useful.

Post imported post

ComradeV,

I agree...I train so that I don't have to fight, but the mindset/experience will be very valuable if it is ever needed...I often find it very curious when I see people invest in expensive gear, optics, suppressors, automatic firearms, etc... and then don't spend the time/money to learn how to deploy the equipment they purchase...

Post imported post

Tacticaltailor.com

Post imported post

You do not understand what Catass said you need to train with the gear that you would normally carry. Yes the high speed low drag gear is nice but you should train the way you would be when TSHTF.

If you seen someone at the mallwith that gear on what would be your reaction to it?

ComradeV wrote:
    It could be said that since we never know when there may be a temporary distruption of Rule of Law, that being prepared for such an unpredicatble situation is not that bad of an idea. So these classes may not be practical for most, but if you have the time and enjoy it, it could end up being useful.

Post imported post

Why would I want to be at a mall when/if there is a disruption in rule of law?

Post imported post

I believe there are a multitude of various situations where different gear, training, tools, mindsets, etc... are needed. The gear at the mall question is a bit misplaced on this site, because the argument could be made that folks would have a more negative reaction to an open carry pistol than someone wearing a chest rig. The point of this site is to encourage folks to exercise their freedom, e.g. 2nd Amend. Krav Maga, Pepper Spray, and a knife might all be better options than an open carry pistol at the mall. Many folks on this site would disagree, but point is that carrying a pistol is one of many ways to defend oneself. Train how you fight yes, but one must keep in mind the fight is not going to look the same every time. " I am only a civilian" mentality goes right out the door when disasters occur, e.g. Katrina, LA Riots, etc...

I think it is smart to incorporate the appropriate gear/tools/training which work in your daily lives, but also investing in Battle-Rattle gear/tools and combat training, e.g. Paul Howe, John Farnam, etc... is also wise and appropriate, even if you are just a "civilian". I hope I never have to use my AR, chest rig, mags, etc... in a real situation, but if the "SHTF" I would rather have the skills/gear/mindset of a mercenary than a civilian at the mall....

Post imported post

KJ_duc wrote:
    Tacticaltailor.com
    Great site, but I won't be purchasing from them since they don't sell all of their products to civilians, e.g. shock plates.

I don't believe our law enforcement/military should have exclusive access to self protection/defensive tools...

Post imported post

That's why everyone should be in the reserves and/or national guard

Post imported post

I personally believe that you can defend/support this country with arms without having to be in the military/reserves or work for the government, e.g. CIA. For example, the Blackwater operatives and civilians who deployed arms during Katrina were also patriots even though they were not in the military. I actually like the idea of the old Swiss law where you don't get to vote if you are not willing to carry a sword, e.g. Arms. I think our politics and politicians would be different today if the political powers and voting citizens had to be willing to actually fight for this country abroad, domestically, and/or covertly in order to have the privilege to govern and vote....

Post imported post

For chest rigs I like the Eagle FB chest rig and the BravoCo one http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-0...ness-s/124.htm
    armorer & notary public for VA Arms Co FFL/SOT
    https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany

Post imported post

I like the Bravo Co. design since it looks like you can put it on/off easily, but one element that is a nice bonus with the Blackwater low-profile rig, is that it has a pouch just underneath of the mag pouches for a shock plate of some sort. Not sure if the Bravo Co. design allows this since it opens in the front. I also like how the BW rig has the mags squarely in the middle so when you mount carbine to shoot, the mags don't get in the way. I apply the 7 points of contact method when I shoot my AR carbine, and if the mags are not squarely in the center of my chest, I can't get my elbows tucked into place easily enough; this might not be an issue with most, but does bother me.

Post imported post

ComradeV wrote:
    Why would I want to be at a mall when/if there is a disruption in rule of law?
    But, hold on a minute ....let me scroll up ...

It could be said that since we never know when there may be a temporary distruption of Rule of Law
    I thought so.

Anyway, back to what I was saying in my original reply.

If you're NOT going to wear a piece of gear A LOT, there's no reason to buy it JUST for a training class. If you don't normally wear a chest rig, there's absolutely ZERO wrong in carrying extra rifle magazines in your back pockets. If you put on a chest rig for "bump in the night," things, sure, wear a chest rig to a class. But, to buy a chest rig to use for a training class is a waste. I would (and have) taken a training class THEN bought gear. The other way around isn't a very good way to handle money.
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

Well I just generally eschew the mall too expensive and dangerous

Post imported post

to the OP, if you really want a low-profile chest rig that you'll definately use outside of a training class, I would recommend the SOE Micro Rig - http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...oducts_id=3728