• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chest Rigs

Damiansar-15

imported post

I have noticed a short supply of Blackwater gear since it is getting discontinued...I very much liked the low-profile chest rig they used to sell. I have been buying what I can from disco/clearance sales, ebay, etc...

Does anyone know if another product is similar/superior?

The Blackwater rig was very flat and has an extra pocket behind the mag pockets for maps, ID, etc...the molle on the front allows extra mag pouches to be added. The velcro tabs seem a lot faster than other options I have seen. I have used this rig in three gun matches, training, etc...and it runs very fast...

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5164.php

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Damiansar-15 wrote:
I have noticed a short supply of Blackwater gear since it is getting discontinued...I very much liked the low-profile chest rig they used to sell. I have been buying what I can from disco/clearance sales, ebay, etc...

Does anyone know if another product is similar/superior?

The Blackwater rig was very flat and has an extra pocket behind the mag pockets for maps, ID, etc...the molle on the front allows extra mag pouches to be added. The velcro tabs seem a lot faster than other options I have seen. I have used this rig in three gun matches, training, etc...and it runs very fast...

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5164.php

ODA 226

imported post

I ran PSDs in Iraq while wearing a Blackhawk Chest Rig, but what is the point of wearing this in the civilian world unless you intend to use it for "other" than civilian purposes?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I ran PSDs in Iraq while wearing a Blackhawk Chest Rig, but what is the point of wearing this in the civilian world unless you intend to use it for "other" than civilian purposes?
Training classes. like the classes that get profiled in SWAT magazine.

Juggernaut

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

Many use them for airsoft. I've got the BlackWater I-O Zip Rack which is similar. It doesn't have the mag/map pockets.

http://www.botachtactical.com/bliozipra.html

Damiansar-15

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:

Civilans need battle rattle gear, as well, e.g. Katrina. I usually use the Blackwater low-profile gear for training, huntingand three-gun matches( http://www.redshiftracing.com/comptac/). I run with a .458 Socom for pig hunting and the low-profile chest rig is fast. I want to take one of Paul Howe's training classes that is more combat focused than the typical defensive firearms class. So, I purchased Blackwater's IO Zip Plate Carrier With Pouches Black, but this seems over kill for most situations. Blackwater sold great gear, I am sorry that they aren't making it anymore...

I guess I will be switching to the Blackhawk stuff...

Bustelo5%

imported post

Lapolicegear.com has the 5.11 molle rigs you can get but I would encourage you to get a us army issue chest rig on ebay seeing that it can actually stand up to some use.

Damiansar-15

imported post

Read Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor and you will see how well Military special ops gear holds up.... not well...Blackwater gear is very well made and it is a shame that they are phasing it out

FightingGlock19

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Buying gear just for a training class is the wrong reason to buy gear. Train like you fight.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It could be said that since we never know when there may be a temporary distruption of Rule of Law, that being prepared for such an unpredicatble situation is not that bad of an idea. So these classes may not be practical for most, but if you have the time and enjoy it, it could end up being useful.

Damiansar-15

imported post

ComradeV,

I agree...I train so that I don't have to fight, but the mindset/experience will be very valuable if it is ever needed...I often find it very curious when I see people invest in expensive gear, optics, suppressors, automatic firearms, etc... and then don't spend the time/money to learn how to deploy the equipment they purchase...

thnycav

imported post

You do not understand what Catass said you need to train with the gear that you would normally carry. Yes the high speed low drag gear is nice but you should train the way you would be when TSHTF.

If you seen someone at the mallwith that gear on what would be your reaction to it?

ComradeV wrote:
It could be said that since we never know when there may be a temporary distruption of Rule of Law, that being prepared for such an unpredicatble situation is not that bad of an idea. So these classes may not be practical for most, but if you have the time and enjoy it, it could end up being useful.

Damiansar-15

imported post

I believe there are a multitude of various situations where different gear, training, tools, mindsets, etc... are needed. The gear at the mall question is a bit misplaced on this site, because the argument could be made that folks would have a more negative reaction to an open carry pistol than someone wearing a chest rig. The point of this site is to encourage folks to exercise their freedom, e.g. 2nd Amend. Krav Maga, Pepper Spray, and a knife might all be better options than an open carry pistol at the mall. Many folks on this site would disagree, but point is that carrying a pistol is one of many ways to defend oneself. Train how you fight yes, but one must keep in mind the fight is not going to look the same every time. " I am only a civilian" mentality goes right out the door when disasters occur, e.g. Katrina, LA Riots, etc...

I think it is smart to incorporate the appropriate gear/tools/training which work in your daily lives, but also investing in Battle-Rattle gear/tools and combat training, e.g. Paul Howe, John Farnam, etc... is also wise and appropriate, even if you are just a "civilian". I hope I never have to use my AR, chest rig, mags, etc... in a real situation, but if the "SHTF" I would rather have the skills/gear/mindset of a mercenary than a civilian at the mall....

Damiansar-15

imported post

KJ_duc wrote:
Tacticaltailor.com

Great site, but I won't be purchasing from them since they don't sell all of their products to civilians, e.g. shock plates.

I don't believe our law enforcement/military should have exclusive access to self protection/defensive tools...

Damiansar-15

imported post

I personally believe that you can defend/support this country with arms without having to be in the military/reserves or work for the government, e.g. CIA. For example, the Blackwater operatives and civilians who deployed arms during Katrina were also patriots even though they were not in the military. I actually like the idea of the old Swiss law where you don't get to vote if you are not willing to carry a sword, e.g. Arms. I think our politics and politicians would be different today if the political powers and voting citizens had to be willing to actually fight for this country abroad, domestically, and/or covertly in order to have the privilege to govern and vote....