• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from MD, can I transport to PA for open carry?

theschultz

imported post

Should I carry addresses of Gun Ranges with me to satisfy Fed Requirements, as if i am going target shooting? Can I be going to the "woods" or any other place to satisfy Fed Transport Requirements?

Is there any other way to transport firearms legally interstate in order to remain legal and to accomplish my ultimate goal, to OC in PA?

Dave

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

theschultz wrote:
Should I carry addresses of Gun Ranges with me to satisfy Fed Requirements, as if i am going target shooting? Can I be going to the "woods" or any other place to satisfy Fed Transport Requirements?

Is there any other way to transport firearms legally interstate in order to remain legal and to accomplish my ultimate goal, to OC in PA?

Dave
I am presuming that you are not otherwise restricted from ownership/possession in Md. or Pa. and are going direct from Md. to Pa.

While in Md., obey Md. laws. When you cross into Pa., obey the laws of that state. End of story.

Since you are not traveling through a state that does not otherwise allow possession of a gun, neither destination nor purpose is required.

Yata hey

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Doesn't PA have a permit/license requirement for transport in a vehicle unless transported unloaded/cased and to and from specific exempted locations?This was moot with any states license or permit for possession or carry. I would certainly double check that you would meet one of the exemptions.

theschultz

imported post

That's what I was asking. It's all thoretical, anyway, but I wanted to know if "heading to a gun range" via having address and directions would qualify as an exception in PA law, should I go there to OC.

I'm good.

Dave

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

theschultz wrote:
You must have some state's carry permit, no? Any state's permit gets you car carry in PA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
theschultz wrote:
You must have some state's carry permit, no? Any state's permit gets you car carry in PA.
No permit needed to OC on foot, but needs accepted/reciprocal permit to carry in vehicle as I understand it.

Yata hey

CowboyKen

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:
theschultz wrote:
No permit needed to OC on foot, but needs accepted/reciprocal permit to carry in vehicle as I understand it.

Yata hey

ANY permit to have firearm in a vehicle. It does not have to bean"accepted/reciprocal permit."

Ken

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:
theschultz wrote:

Yata hey

ANY permit to have firearm in a vehicle. It does not have to bean"accepted/reciprocal permit."

Ken
Really? Even a permit from a state whose permit is not accepted by Pa?

Cite please.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Cite please.

Yata hey
Pa.C.S. § 6106(b)(11), available at http://paopencarry.org/uniform-firearms-act#6106
11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

So one can vehicle carry on the permit of a non-reciprocal state and when getting out simply go OC legally in accordance with Pa. laws.

Well that means I learned two things today. Missed that somehow before or disremembered it. Thanks.

Yata hey

CowboyKen

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Cite please.

Yata hey
So one can vehicle carry on the permit of a non-reciprocal state and when getting out simply go OC legally in accordance with Pa. laws.

Well that means I learned two things today. Missed that somehow before or disremembered it. Thanks.

Yata hey
I accept your apology.

ken

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Cite please.

Yata hey

Yata hey
I accept your apology.

ken
If you feel it is due, you got it. My request was based on wanting to know, not to be offensive.

Yata hey

CowboyKen

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I accept your apology.

ken
If you feel it is due, you got it. My request was based on wanting to know, not to be offensive.

Yata hey

No problem, just that you posted incorrect info, without a cite, I corrected it and then you asked for a cite. Mike beat me to it. Good on you Mike.

As to the forum rule requiring a cite for such things, some of us ignore it when we know what's what and some of us ignore it when we are making stuff up. It is all good as far as I am concerned. Yata hey right back atcya.

Ken