• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Theoretical speeding ticket

ScottyDog

imported post

So lets say I'm out driving and get caught say doing 5 or 6 over the speed limit.

I know I was guilty of speeding etc...

So anyway, during the conversation the officer asks me to step out of the car. BTW I' carrying concealed and officer doesnt know yet.

How do I deal with this? "Hey I got a gun!", or what? I assume if I am asked to get out of my vehicle I'm going to get patted down...

-Scotty

Dave The Welder

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Why would the officer ask you out of the car?
It can happen. Maybe he believes you are intoxicated as well.

Unless it's going to become visible while talking to the officer, I don't say anything until they inform me that they're going to pat me down. At this point, I inform them that I have a valid CPL and am currently carrying a pistol, and the location of said pistol.

I've only used this once, but the officer thanked me for informing me and, after determining that I wasn't drinking, promptly returned it (after clearing the chamber in his patrol car and losing the round...but that's another story).

massivedesign

imported post

I have not been pulled over in quite some time, but when I had I told the officer up front at first contact about my CPL. I usually hand it to him with my DL, Reg & Ins card.. Never once gotten a ticket during those times either.

FMCDH

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
Kildars wrote:
Why would the officer ask you out of the car?
It can happen. Maybe he believes you are intoxicated as well.

Unless it's going to become visible while talking to the officer, I don't say anything until they inform me that they're going to pat me down. At this point, I inform them that I have a valid CPL and am currently carrying a pistol, and the location of said pistol.

I've only used this once, but the officer thanked me for informing me and, after determining that I wasn't drinking, promptly returned it (after clearing the chamber in his patrol car and losing the round...but that's another story).

+100 My exact response. :)

Don't make something out of nothing. If its immanant that the officer is going to find out, let him now exactly as stated by Dave, otherwise he has no legal right to be pre-notified.

For example...
"For your safety and mine officer, I should let you know I am carryingmy pistol on my right hip, and I do have aCPL."

David.Car

imported post

If open carrying I will let the officer know before I even reach for my wallet as my wallet happens to be carried near the firearm, and I don't want him to freak out if he sees it while I am reaching around back there.

Concealed. I don't mention it unless asked.

kenshin

imported post

David.Car wrote:
If open carrying I will let the officer know before I even reach for my wallet as my wallet happens to be carried near the firearm, and I don't want him to freak out if he sees it while I am reaching around back there.

That's the exact reason that I've taken to carrying everything in my left pockets (wallet, keys, etc.) while my gun is on my right hip.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Heck he may not find out even if patted down. Besides if you do fail
the field sobriety test you argue to the judge the extra 5 lbs of
hardware made you walk lopsided. Just try balancing on one foot
with a bug, and spare mags on your ankle. :cool:
If he does find it you just inform him you have a permit for it at that time.
Worse case, he will be so irate, he will probably mess up the ticket so you
can get out of it later.

Although when in the squad car the pulse goes way up. What to do if they take
in while armed. Can't let them turn you into a criminal, but don't have choice to
not be one. Technically since the officer brought you in in handcuffs, he is the one
who brought the gun into a secured area, but good luck getting a judge to apply
the law as written.

heresolong

imported post

kenshin wrote:
David.Car wrote:

That's the exact reason that I've taken to carrying everything in my left pockets (wallet, keys, etc.) while my gun is on my right hip.
Me too. Switched to left back pocket wallet and have actually gotten used to it pretty quickly after forty years of right side wallet. It serves the same purpose when paying for your groceries.

FMCDH

imported post

heresolong wrote:
kenshin wrote:
David.Car wrote:

Me too. Switched to left back pocket wallet and have actually gotten used to it pretty quickly after forty years of right side wallet. It serves the same purpose when paying for your groceries.
Same here.

David.Car

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
heresolong wrote:
kenshin wrote:
David.Car wrote:

Same here.
Since carrying I have begun to do more things left handed in an attempt to have my right arm and hand more readily available in most situations... But I just can't get used to sitting with my wallet in the left pocket... My ass doesn't agree with it. :cool:

kito109654

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Since carrying I have begun to do more things left handed in an attempt to have my right arm and hand more readily available in most situations... But I just can't get used to sitting with my wallet in the left pocket... My ass doesn't agree with it. :cool:
Well you can't violate the Mighty Behind; you wouldn't want to deal with the retaliation. :p

sudden valley gunner

imported post

When pulled over only open window enough, to hand out papers.

If asked to get out do so grab keys and lock your door. "Force of habit" if asked.

The gun shouldn't be an issue, he already knows if he pulled you over, his computer told him so.

Oh and I carry my wallet in front pocket. I grew up in too many bad neighborhoods,why put out the invitation.

Ajetpilot

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
When pulled over only open window enough, to hand out papers.

If asked to get out do so grab keys and lock your door. "Force of habit" if asked.

The gun shouldn't be an issue, he already knows if he pulled you over, his computer told him so.

Oh and I carry my wallet in front pocket. I grew up in too many bad neighborhoods,why put out the invitation.
I agree, except:

Leave yourkeys in the ignition and lock the door when you get out (always have a spare hidden outside).

If asked why, do not answer the question. Exercise your WSCArt. 1 Sec. 7 rights. It is none of his business why you locked the keys in the car.

I put my wallet, registration and insurance card on the dash in front of me, so that my hands will always be in view, and I do not have to reach for something near my weapon.

kito109654

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
I put my wallet, registration and insurance card on the dash in front of me, so that my hands will always be in view, and I do not have to reach for something near my weapon.

Do you leave them up there all the time or put them up there after the stop but before he/she reaches the window?

If you leave them up there, what do you do about glare? Do you keep them in something or leave them loose?

Ajetpilot

imported post

The registration and insurance card are in a brown plastic folder, and they are always on the dash. I toss my walletup there as I enter the truck. No glare. The only problem is remembering to take the wallet with me when I exit the truck if I willneed my credit card. After having to return to the truck about five times to retrieve it, I started to remember to take it. Now, it's second nature. A learned behavior.

Incidentally, my voice recorder is in the visor pointed at the driver side window.

jbone

imported post

Great senarios all, but what if BOO BOO pulls you over?:shock:

Aryk45XD

imported post

Very nice to know. I believe, at least I was taught, you must inform the officer of firearms of any type in Texas as soon as the officer approaches.