• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va Tech revisited

Do you think a new statute is required?

• No, an absolute prohibition of firearms on campus is a good thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Article I, Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution is self-executing, and already prohibits any

• No, what we need is a lawsuit to enforce 15.2-915, particularly in light of the award of attorneys'

• No, we just need to get more active in the judicial selection process that takes place in the legisl

• Yes, we need to make it clearer that section 15.2-915 applies to public colleges and universities.

• Yes, we need to systematize all these various statutes regarding firearms in one title of the code i

• I don't agree with any of these options and have my own ideas about solving the problem of gun relat

• Total voters

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I just got my official offer letter today, so I'm gainfully employed :dude:. Lookout NORFOLK, here I come! (Actually pumped, I'm going to be helping build the addition to my fiancee's med school.)
Ahh...Smart man. Marrying a Doctor.
You'll have time to hunt and fish and ....hunt.:shock:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Thanks for the congrats, and yes, my long-term goal is to be a stay at home dad.

I think what I might do with my days at home with the kids scares the living crap out of my future in-laws (born-bred in the Bronx, guns are the devil, deer are poor little creatures, you don't actually eat fish out of the river do you, MOTORCYCLES?!?, etc.)

2a4all

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Thanks for the congrats, and yes, my long-term goal is to be a stay at home dad.

I think what I might do with my days at home with the kids scares the living crap out of my future in-laws (born-bred in the Bronx, guns are the devil, deer are poor little creatures, you don't actually eat fish out of the river do you, MOTORCYCLES?!?, etc.)
Congrats on the sheepskin. You should talk to Darthmord aboutstay-at-home dad stuff.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Just tell them that when you're in the South, you have to think like a Southerner. Then maybe there is hope.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm a stay-at-home dad too, but I can't do the things I used to because I'm now disabled. I would homeschool my kids again, but now they're smarter than I am and I can't possibly help them with their math homework anymore.

There are many advantages to being a stay at home daddy. I try to do as much with my kids as I can because you never know when you'll get the last hug or kiss on the cheek.

Life is short. take your kids to the range!

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I'm a stay-at-home dad too, but I can't do the things I used to because I'm now disabled.  I would homeschool my kids again, but now they're smarter than I am and I can't possibly help them with their math homework anymore. 

There are many advantages to being a stay at home daddy.  I try to do as much with my kids as I can because you never know when you'll get the last hug or kiss on the cheek. 

Life is short.  take your kids to the range!

Yup, I did that; I started home education (I don't believe in replicating public school at home)in 1986 with the first of five kids. After the divorce in 1997, I was Mr. Mom and Mr. Dad, with five kids and a mortgage to feed. Pulled it off, though, and I'm happy with the way the kids all turned out. It builds character. Being a full-time dad requires a lot of dedication, self-reliance, and self-discipline. You can't just up and quit that job.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

user wrote:
Yup, I did that; I started home education (I don't believe in replicating public school at home)in 1986 with the first of five kids. After the divorce in 1997, I was Mr. Mom and Mr. Dad, with five kids and a mortgage to feed. Pulled it off, though, and I'm happy with the way the kids all turned out. It builds character. Being a full-time dad requires a lot of dedication, self-reliance, and self-discipline. You can't just up and quit that job.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what far too many do - therein lies much of the problem.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
user wrote:
Unfortunately, that is exactly what far too many do - therein lies much of the problem.

Yata hey
Right. I wrote some papers in college about disciplining children and some of my classmates responded that they didn't believe in the use of physical punishment (papers were passed around). My take is quite simple. A parent should never discard a method of discipline simply because they have some strange idea that it equates to abuse. It just might be the key to correcting an unruly child. I won't get into the rest of my dissertation, but I was right and they were wrong.

I have some close friends who have two children, a boy and a girl both now grown. They are good people, but because they didn't do what they should have done as parents, their kids' lives are basically ruined. Drugs, felonies, suspected prostitution, less-than-honorable discharge from the army (was facing a courts martiail). One has 42 felony warrants outstanding and has fled.

Yep, they didn't do the work. A parent's responsibility is to raise their progeny to become responsible and productive citizens. Anything less is a waste. That may seem harsh, but I've seen enough of the mistakes of parents to know what works and what doesn't. The sins of the parents shall be visited upon their young.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

My sentiments exactly. If a parent tries to be his child's buddy, or wants to be "nice", he's not doing his job. You get three years in which to inculcate a spirit of self-discipline and social responsiblity in the kid, and if you fail in that task ("Don't hit him! He's only a BABY!"), you'll get trouble when he hits fourteen ("Please don't put him in jail! He's only a BABY").

Original sin IS self-absorption. "Eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" means doing what you like and not doing what you don't like ("good" means, "I like it."; "evil" means, "I don't like it.").

If a person doesn't learn to get past that and to understand that the universe in his head, in which he is the only god, is not the real universe, well, that's why they pay me the big bucks.

My view is that a swat on the bottom gets the kids' attention long enough to get a quick message across that could save the kids' lives. Though if the parent does so in anger, that's his own sense of self hitting the kid, and all the kid learns is "daddy gets mad and hits me." Objectively, exactly the same behavior. The kid, an automatic learning machine, is sensitive to the intent.

If the intent is love, the kid learns, "daddy cares about me and what I do is important; daddy wants me to be a happy, healthy person who will live to reproduce." My kids knew that they were my first priority, because no matter what, I'd drop everything I was doing to attend to them, whether for praise or punishment. Judging by the results, now that they're all taller than I am, I think I got that one right.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

A resounding "AMEN" from the choir loft for the above posts. I firmly believe when my children had a "cold bottom that needed warming up", they got it. As a result, they have become above-average students (3.5 GPA or above for all four), one ofmy daughtersis aresponsible OC'er,youngest daughter wastold last night (after her SECOND time picking up a match-grade smallborerifle) that sheis "Scholarship Material" by the coaching staff attheSmallbore Junior program ata local gun club. Youngest child has been in Scouting for four years.

The highest compliment one can receive from another adult is "Your children are wonderful students" or something about their behavior, manners, discipline or sportsmanship. To me, there is no better compliment.

Simplifying it: because they got a spanking when they needed it as toddlers, they are not (nor are they likely to be) convicted felons, teenaged (unwed) mothers, drug abusers, or criminals of any type. Theyare not sexually active anddon't drink, smoke orabuse drugs.

I disagree with one above statement, though... "They're good people". Sorry. I don't buy it. Good people don't raise monsters. That phrase crives me CRAZY. "Good People" don't raise unwed mothers, teenaged drunks or stoned shoplifters.

Something went wrong in the upbringing of their children. They may be "good people" in that they are not criminals themselves, but its nearly criminal behavior to raise a child with apathy and neglegence.
Parenting is a tough job. I'm the LEAST perfect person I know, but I do my darnedest to do a good job. We've all made mistakes. Hopefully none of my mistakeswill come back to bite me in the buttocks in the form of one of my children making a bad decision because I didn't teach them enough. I will spend the rest of my life hoping this doesn't happen.

Regardless of upbringing or in spite of it, some kids just "blow a fuse" and "go wrong". They may have been brought up in a loving home and attended the best schools, but they just "snap". File that under the "Feces Occurs" category. Their chances are greatly improved by good parenting, but some goodkids still make bad choices.

<stepping off soapbox, awaiting the barrage of flying vegetables>

Pagan

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:

I have been a stay at home/homeschooling dad since '01, no traffic , no work politics, and my kids are well educated and behaved considering their ages. I gonna have them little monkeys GED ready by 15!

SouthernBoy

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
A resounding "AMEN" from the choir loft for the above posts. I firmly believe when my children had a "cold bottom that needed warming up", they got it. As a result, they have become above-average students (3.5 GPA or above for all four), one ofmy daughtersis aresponsible OC'er,youngest daughter wastold last night (after her SECOND time picking up a match-grade smallborerifle) that sheis "Scholarship Material" by the coaching staff attheSmallbore Junior program ata local gun club. Youngest child has been in Scouting for four years.

The highest compliment one can receive from another adult is "Your children are wonderful students" or something about their behavior, manners, discipline or sportsmanship. To me, there is no better compliment.

Simplifying it: because they got a spanking when they needed it as toddlers, they are not (nor are they likely to be) convicted felons, teenaged (unwed) mothers, drug abusers, or criminals of any type. Theyare not sexually active anddon't drink, smoke orabuse drugs.

I disagree with one above statement, though... "They're good people". Sorry. I don't buy it. Good people don't raise monsters. That phrase crives me CRAZY. "Good People" don't raise unwed mothers, teenaged drunks or stoned shoplifters.

Something went wrong in the upbringing of their children. They may be "good people" in that they are not criminals themselves, but its nearly criminal behavior to raise a child with apathy and neglegence.
Parenting is a tough job. I'm the LEAST perfect person I know, but I do my darnedest to do a good job. We've all made mistakes. Hopefully none of my mistakeswill come back to bite me in the buttocks in the form of one of my children making a bad decision because I didn't teach them enough. I will spend the rest of my life hoping this doesn't happen.

Regardless of upbringing or in spite of it, some kids just "blow a fuse" and "go wrong". They may have been brought up in a loving home and attended the best schools, but they just "snap". File that under the "Feces Occurs" category. Their chances are greatly improved by good parenting, but some goodkids still make bad choices.

I shall clarify "good people" for you. These neighbors of whom I spoke are good neighbors, nice people, not of the types you would avoid or not invite into your home. That was what I meant.

I didn't know them until 1999 and at that time, their son was, I think, 14.. the daughter was either 11 or 12. While I cannot say how they were raised before I knew them, I do believe I can make some very good guesses.

The first ten years of your child's life are the most important in terms of raising them. It is during this period where you implant the seeds and the concepts and ideas of parental authority along with responsibility. If you don't do the work here, you stand a pretty good chance of losing the child during their teenage years. I doubt these parents where nosy when they should have been (which means virtually always), watched with whom their children were hanging around, invited their children's friends over to see how they all interacted (did they go off into bedrooms and close the doors, down in the basement and act secretively, etc.). It was obvious these parents didn't control how their son and daughter dressed, too. When you dress a certain way, you are going to advertise to groups of teens and the wrong apparel can easily send a message to the wrong crowd (dropey pants, all black clothes, etc.).

Parents absolutely MUST do the work if they are to expect the results they hope for with their children. I could easily spend the next several pages and paragraphs on this topic, but I won't. I know what I think about raising kids is right and the proof is in my own two daughters. One graduated from UVA and went on to James Madison for her master's. The other was satisfied with her bachelor's from Virginia Tech. Both are married, have a child each, nice homes, and are VERY good people.

I was so fixed in my ideas about raising children that if my wife disagreed, we never would have gotten married. It had to be my way and it was (she agreed completely with me in raising them). I had just seen too many parents over the years do it wrong I was NOT going to be one of them. Too important of a parental job to screw up.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

I shall clarify "good people" for you. These neighbors of whom I spoke are good neighbors, nice people, not of the types you would avoid or not invite into your home. That was what I meant.

I didn't know them until 1999 and at that time, their son was, I think, 14.. the daughter was either 11 or 12. While I cannot say how they were raised before I knew them, I do believe I can make some very good guesses.

The first ten years of your child's life are the most important in terms of raising them. It is during this period where you implant the seeds and the concepts and ideas of parental authority along with responsibility. If you don't do the work here, you stand a pretty good chance of losing the child during their teenage years. I doubt these parents where nosy when they should have been (which means virtually always), watched with whom their children were hanging around, invited their children's friends over to see how they all interacted (did they go off into bedrooms and close the doors, down in the basement and act secretively, etc.). It was obvious these parents didn't control how their son and daughter dressed, too. When you dress a certain way, you are going to advertise to groups of teens and the wrong apparel can easily send a message to the wrong crowd (dropey pants, all black clothes, etc.).

Parents absolutely MUST do the work if they are to expect the results they hope for with their children. I could easily spend the next several pages and paragraphs on this topic, but I won't. I know what I think about raising kids is right and the proof is in my own two daughters. One graduated from UVA and went on to James Madison for her master's. The other was satisfied with her bachelor's from Virginia Tech. Both are married, have a child each, nice homes, and are VERY good people.

I was so fixed in my ideas about raising children that if my wife disagreed, we never would have gotten married. It had to be my way and it was (she agreed completely with me in raising them). I had just seen too many parents over the years do it wrong I was NOT going to be one of them. Too important of a parental job to screw up.
I agree... and use my kids as proof also.
None of us are perfect parents, all we can do is our best. I was nosy. When my son was a teenager and I was concerned with the company he was keeping while he was out, I'd find out who the company was.
One memorable time, one of my sons friends came up to his car and asked if that was his dad with the binoculars in the woods. That was a well behaved group of kids that night.

My daughters dates were required to come in before leaving and I always shook hands with them. They both knew if I approved when they left. One claimed I broke his hand....I did my best... and he later got into a lot of trouble... but my daughter wasn't with him;)

If the kids turning out well was due to their upbringing, the grand kid will be OK too because they're being raised the same way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The choir is definitely "on key" this beautiful day.

Do your best with each child. It may not be enough always - as there is so much with which to contend - but you never know unless you put in the effort. They're too important to ignore, to leave to chance.

I admit to one grand success and one failure. Would that I had another opportunity to address that issue.

Yata hey

simmonsjoe

imported post

The dormitory issue is an interesting one. It is hard to argue it is a safe location for storage without a safe of some sort. I could understand a requirement all unattended firearms be locked in a gun safe.