Thread: State Land Question

Post imported post

I know you can target practice on State land in the "shotgun zone" with a rifle, just as long as it is not deer hunting season.

Can you target practice on state land with a pistol durring deer hunting season?

If so, since my AK is tecnically a pistol now could I target practice with that during deer hunting season?

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    I know you can target practice on State land in the "shotgun zone" with a rifle, just as long as it is not deer hunting season.

Can you target practice on state land with a pistol durring deer hunting season?

If so, since my AK is tecnically a pistol now could I target practice with that during deer hunting season?
    This is all I have on it...

Re: Seeking information
    Date: 7/24/00 2:41:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    From: DNR-LED-RAPLAW@state.mi.us (DNR-LED-Report All Poaching DNR-LED-Report All Poaching)
    To: DTDRONE@aol.com

You may target practice with an identifiable backdrop on any State owned land that is not a State Park or posted "no shooting". Target shooting is not covered by conservation law and therefore there are no closed seasons or curfews for target practicing on State lands. What you may want to pay notice to are areas where there are hikers, campers, bikers or horseback riders--these folks may also use State lands.

DNR Law Enforcement
    Communications Section

>>> <DTDRONE@aol.com> 07/21 9:04 PM >>>
    In a message dated 7/21/00 9:51:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    DNR-WLD-WEBPAGES@state.mi.us writes:

Post imported post

You are able to. I target shoot at a spot near Higgins Lake on state land. It has become an informal shooting range. Just be aware that if there are hunters nearby they may not appreciate their hunt being disturbed.

Post imported post

hey is that the Marl Lake land?? I have a place adjacent to there.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
    Just be aware that if there are hunters nearby they may not appreciate their hunt being disturbed.
    This is another reason I don't target practice during deer hunting season, out of respect.

Post imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
    You are able to. I target shoot at a spot near Higgins Lake on state land. It has become an informal shooting range.
    Isn't that the rifle zone though?

Post imported post

yes it is the rifle zone. on the DNR website I found this,

A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game.

The link for that page is

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...1578--,00.html