• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Land Question

T Vance

imported post

I know you can target practice on State land in the "shotgun zone" with a rifle, just as long as it is not deer hunting season.

Can you target practice on state land with a pistol durring deer hunting season?

If so, since my AK is tecnically a pistol now could I target practice with that during deer hunting season?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I know you can target practice on State land in the "shotgun zone" with a rifle, just as long as it is not deer hunting season.

Can you target practice on state land with a pistol durring deer hunting season?

If so, since my AK is tecnically a pistol now could I target practice with that during deer hunting season?

This is all I have on it...

Re: Seeking information
Date: 7/24/00 2:41:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From: DNR-LED-RAPLAW@state.mi.us (DNR-LED-Report All Poaching DNR-LED-Report All Poaching)
To: DTDRONE@aol.com

You may target practice with an identifiable backdrop on any State owned land that is not a State Park or posted "no shooting". Target shooting is not covered by conservation law and therefore there are no closed seasons or curfews for target practicing on State lands. What you may want to pay notice to are areas where there are hikers, campers, bikers or horseback riders--these folks may also use State lands.

DNR Law Enforcement
Communications Section

>>> <DTDRONE@aol.com> 07/21 9:04 PM >>>
In a message dated 7/21/00 9:51:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
DNR-WLD-WEBPAGES@state.mi.us writes:

sprinklerguy28

imported post

You are able to. I target shoot at a spot near Higgins Lake on state land. It has become an informal shooting range. Just be aware that if there are hunters nearby they may not appreciate their hunt being disturbed.

T Vance

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Just be aware that if there are hunters nearby they may not appreciate their hunt being disturbed.
This is another reason I don't target practice during deer hunting season, out of respect.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

yes it is the rifle zone. on the DNR website I found this,

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"] A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game.

The link for that page is

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html
[/size][/font]