• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Algonac

sprinklerguy28

imported post

The city of Algonac currently has ordinance

15-6
No person other than an officer of the law shall carry any firearms of any kind or description within the city parks.

I have contacted the city and will be attending their council meeting tonight at 7:30pm

Algonac City Hall-
805 St. Clair River Drive
Algonac, MI 48001

I will update when I return home after the meeting.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

After a 2 hour drive on the icy roads I was able to make it to the meeting. Although I had missed the public comment section of the meeting the council was gracious and allowed me to speak. I presented the information in regards to the ordinance. I covered the laws of the state and how it related to their ordinance not being enforceable. As well as how it could potentially effect both citizens and the city. The mayor stated he was unaware of the situation and that he and the council would look into the matter, and that they would follow up with me within the next 30 days. I thanked the council and the residents present for their time. After the meeting I was approached by many residents as well as a local newspaper reporter. I received many thanks for bringing the matter up and having it addressed publicly. Many present requested more information regarding the laws so I handed them information from MOC and directed them to the website. The reporter took my personal information as well a few photos at the podium. I will be meeting with her to do a story on it this week. Overall very happy with how I was received. I also commend the city police as I walked by an officer both on the way in and on the way out. He noticed I was carrying and said nothing. He was very professional and we even spoke briefly at the end of the night not once was the fact I was carrying ever brought up. As I receive more information I will post it here as well as links to the newspaper article when the story is published.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Thank you. The next article will be after the new year. The next meetings in Algonac will be January 4 and 18. I will post anything that I receive in regards to this.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I will be attending the meeting tonight to see if they have made any progress on this yet. I have had no response to emails or phone calls. Hopefully just due to the busy holiday season. I will update the status when I return home tonight.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Well unfortunately unable to report what happened at tonight's meeting. I experienced small car trouble on my way there. The trouble being a small car pulling out in front of me, and me hitting them. All involved are fine with the exception of the car and the plow that use to be on the front of my truck. I will try contacting the city tomorrow to get an update on the ordinance.

dukenukum

imported post

well done sir, I always have the open carry hand outs to give to people who may not know the laws, this has helped ease tension ,also I plan my days so I have time to talk with people about open carry.