• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9 minutes to self defense, 20 minutes to police response

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When seconds count, police are only minutes away.....

I had a situation much like this when I lived in Arizona, but fortunately the door kept the drunk out and he gave up about the same time that the local PD arrived (only about 10 - 15 minutes after calling in metro Phoenix).

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This story will be remember for more than a week (already has).

Definitely a poster-child for allowing people to own guns. Even in the case where the person shot was not armed, I mentioned in another thread, that him being a drunk man was deadly enough for a 56 year old woman. Her gun potentially saved her life and no person or law should be allowed to take away her ability to prevent having to wait and find out what a rampaging drunk man busting in her house intends to do.

tcmech

imported post

This is a tragedy for everyone involved, I feel for the mans family, and I feel for the woman who I am sure is scarred for life from this event.

I do not believe she could have changed the outcome by yelling that police were coming, she had a gun, or that her name was not Pat.

Personally I think of my mother and how would she be able to defend herself from someone like this and all I can say is I hope that she is mentally strong enough to pull the trigger of the handgun I left with her years ago.

noname762

This is a tragedy for everyone involved, I feel for the mans family, and I feel for the woman who I am sure is scarred for life from this event.

I do not believe she could have changed the outcome by yelling that police were coming, she had a gun, or that her name was not Pat.

Personally I think of my mother and how would she be able to defend herself from someone like this and all I can say is I hope that she is mentally strong enough to pull the trigger of the handgun I left with her years ago.

I listened to the entire 911 tape. That woman showed tremendous courage IMO and restraint considering the trauma that this out of control drunk breaking into her house was putting her through. She was absolutely justified using deadly force IMO.

I hope and trust she is able to get the counseling she may very well need for the rest of her life. In this day and age a twenty minute response time for the first deputies on scene is deplorable.