• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Gun Combo Lock Box???

Streetbikerr6

imported post

So I currently have the one below. This one sucks, you get what you pay for. It does not open easily at all, there is literally no opening or anything to grab to get it open, you have to use your hands on each side of the box and pry it open with nothing but friction... the last thing I want to be doing before being shot is fumbling like an idiot with my gun lock box. Any others have any suggestions? I want.. QUICK OPENING, and of course a combo lock.

http://www.atafa.com/sports/products/SECURE_IT_SECURITY_BOX_COMBO_BLK-273554.html

RSR-SEC20_280_280.jpg

Decoligny

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
So I currently have the one below. This one sucks, you get what you pay for. It does not open easily at all, there is literally no opening or anything to grab to get it open, you have to use your hands on each side of the box and pry it open with nothing but friction... the last thing I want to be doing before being shot is fumbling like an idiot with my gun lock box. Any others have any suggestions? I want.. QUICK OPENING, and of course a combo lock.

http://www.atafa.com/sports/products/SECURE_IT_SECURITY_BOX_COMBO_BLK-273554.html

RSR-SEC20_280_280.jpg

Spend $5.00 at the hardware store and get a drawer pull. They even come in black. Drill two small holes in the top of the safe, and mount the drawer pull.

Now you have a handle with which to open your gun safe.

drawer-pull-530.jpg

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not cheap but it looks like quick access: http://www.gunvault.com/microvault.nxg

I stumbled on this just now and it looks interesting. It's not what you want because it has a key, but it's inexpensive: Sentry AS-1

There is another one I saw that mounts the handgun upright, and it actually raises the gun for easy access as the top pivots open, but I can't find it.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote:

RSR-SEC20_280_280.jpg

Spend $5.00 at the hardware store and get a drawer pull. They even come in black. Drill two small holes in the top of the safe, and mount the drawer pull.

Now you have a handle with which to open your gun safe.
Not a bad idea, I was thinking of doing such although there is still a turning switch mechanism that you have to turn a quarter of a turn in order to open the box. So for any of you knowledgable on the subject, can I just have the lock combo on the correct combination at all times and when I want to open it I just turn the switch to open it? I am 99% certain that is not legal but just checking. I want to minimize the steps... Currently it is.. turn the lock combo and then turn the switch and then pull open. Any box that is just a combo and open?

SouthBayr

imported post

Mine pops open without having to lift. Hmm I wonder if the size of the gun causes this, mine is a Glock 22.

I will admit it doesn't spring open, but enough to use one hand. I will say the combo lock dials are a little stiff on mine.

yelohamr

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:

RSR-SEC20_280_280.jpg

I have the same one and haven't had a problem with it. I keep it in the car all the time and use the cable that came with it, to secure it to the seat frame. If you hold the cable with one hand, pull the locking knob with the other hand.

I also have the Book Safe from Harbor Freight. I lined it with foam rubber and it will hold my Sig and 6 loaded mags.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
Mine pops open without having to lift. Hmm I wonder if the size of the gun causes this, mine is a Glock 22.

I will admit it doesn't spring open, but enough to use one hand. I will say the combo lock dials are a little stiff on mine.
Great tip! I can always just put a spring in it!! never thought of that. thanks

Decoligny

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Not a bad idea, I was thinking of doing such although there is still a turning switch mechanism that you have to turn a quarter of a turn in order to open the box. So for any of you knowledgable on the subject, can I just have the lock combo on the correct combination at all times and when I want to open it I just turn the switch to open it? I am 99% certain that is not legal but just checking. I want to minimize the steps... Currently it is.. turn the lock combo and then turn the switch and then pull open. Any box that is just a combo and open?
And I will add another 1% to that and say that it is 100% illegal. The exemption to PC 12025, theconcealed carry law is if the gun is unloaded and LOCKED inside a secure container. If the lock is open, it is not LOCKED.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote:
And I will add another 1% to that and say that it is 100% illegal. The exemption to PC 12025, theconcealed carry law is if the gun is unloaded and LOCKED inside a secure container. If the lock is open, it is not LOCKED.

ok more questions. Where can I NOT bring in this container with my weapon? Also does it have to be travelling to or from my vehicle? Can it be in my vehicle without me being in the vehicle... say at school or work? Can it be in my back pack as I go to school?

Thanks

mjones

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
ok more questions. Where can I NOT bring in this container with my weapon? Also does it have to be travelling to or from my vehicle? Can it be in my vehicle without me being in the vehicle... say at school or work? Can it be in my back pack as I go to school?

Thanks

Currently being discussed in this thread:

OK to LUCC on one's person while walking around in public?

yelohamr

imported post

OOPS.I forgot,I did have one problem with my gun safe. I put the gun in with the butt near the lock, it caused tension on the lock and I had push down and pry it open.

Just look at the picture, and put the gun in that way.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
OOPS.I forgot,I did have one problem with my gun safe. I put the gun in with the butt near the lock, it caused tension on the lock and I had push down and pry it open.

Just look at the picture, and put the gun in that way.
I had that problem with the springs. I finaly found a couple of springs though that had just enough tension to open the box with out me having to clamp down on the box to twist the lock. I can post pictures later after I have added my handle, it is looking pretty good... now just the laws need clarifying on the other thread.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Ok so after a couple of mods this lock box is the shyt. The only downfall is the turning mechanisim that unlocks the box is quite hard to turn. It could use a handle or something, I will probably just make a larger handle for it.

1. Correct sized spring+ electrical tape provides a perfect automatic opening of the box when unlocked.

2.couple drilled holes and handle provides a perfect way to carry from or to your vehicle.

Any one needing size of spring let me know.

Oh and please do not mind the .22.... I have a kimber .45 1911 coming soon haha.

picture183t.jpg

picture184.jpg

picture185.jpg

Streetbikerr6

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
I like the springs. What size are they? As for the .22, it's bullet placement that counts.
very true, and my bright green viridian laser is soooo accurate so Idk which one to use as my home and my car gun..

Spring is..

1/2 x 2 x .047
(12.700 x 50.80 x 1.194mm)

You can find it in Osh it will say C-722 on the top or you can just order from their website...

http://www.centuryspring.com/Century/GateWayServlet?destination=MainCatalog.jsp

Type "15" in the part number search on the left. Im 90% certain that is the spring.

woody510

imported post

Walther P22 is awesome bought one in "Chrome Brush" for the girlfriend just for plinking because she just likes to pull the trigger when we hit the range .22 is easier on the pocket then 9mm or .38

inbox485

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:

Try tweaking the contact points. I have one of those and the tension of the foam makes it spring open when I turn the knob. If you still aren't satisfied, consider GunVault's new micro vault. IIRC the hinges are slightly spring loaded.

I personally use a slightly modified back compartment of a backpack most of the time. It offers more discretion, and I don't have to have a container within a container to have that discretion.

Lastly, you can consider on of the padded soft sided pistol covers. I stitched nylon webbing to form a make shift holster and mag slots to fit an XD45 and three mags. It locks with a combination luggage lock.