• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 questions on buying a gun

driveramsII

imported post

I use a drivers license and hunting license no problem. A couple months ago when I bought my pistol it took about 30 secs to get cleared but I also have a security clearance which expedites the process

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

driveramsII wrote:
I use a drivers license and hunting license no problem. A couple months ago when I bought my pistol it took about 30 secs to get cleared but I also have a security clearance which expedites the process
I don't believe that's true.

Starting about 5 yrs ago, I get delayed every time. 10 minutes sometimes, an hour or more sometimes. I've had a clearance for about a decade.

45acpForMe

imported post

FWIW: Normally it takes minutes for me to get approved. The longest I had to wait was an hour or two, when the Website was down. I put my SSN on the form (they say it will help avoid confusion) but I know it is optional. I figure if the gubbermant really wants to screw me they will whether or not my SSN is on the form.

Travis, you always have to wait longer because you are on "The LIST". You shouldn't be so damn patriotic!:banghead:

I have a friend with a very common name in NC. He had to wait over six months for his NC version of CHP because they were checking every variation of his name and all felonies across the state.

When I bought my Sig556 I had to show a birth certificate because it had magazines that held over 20 rounds (normal 30 rounders). I complained but the gun store said it was an ATF requirement. I had bought 30-round 45acp magazines before and never had to show a BC!!!:cuss:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
FWIW: Normally it takes minutes for me to get approved. The longest I had to wait was an hour or two, when the Website was down. I put my SSN on the form (they say it will help avoid confusion) but I know it is optional. I figure if the gubbermant really wants to screw me they will whether or not my SSN is on the form.

Travis, you always have to wait longer because you are on "The LIST". You shouldn't be so damn patriotic!:banghead:

I have a friend with a very common name in NC. He had to wait over six months for his NC version of CHP because they were checking every variation of his name and all felonies across the state.

When I bought my Sig556 I had to show a birth certificate because it had magazines that held over 20 rounds (normal 30 rounders). I complained but the gun store said it was an ATF requirement. I had bought 30-round 45acp magazines before and never had to show a BC!!!:cuss:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what some FFL's say.
This is a post from an FFL that basically was trying to steal the gun.

this is a note for all
I am a ffl dealer and have done a few transfers for some in the past. That stopped today .
I got a gun from a pawnshop with NO KEY . he is not allowed to send with NO key[if equiped]. The guy sent him the money and I have the gun. so who is out the money and gun?
This is the last one I will do but have nice gun to play with

virginiatuck

imported post

Same here, as others have said: quick checks for me, if not instant. I do not provide my SSN. The only time it's taken longer is at gun shows, and that's because there's a line of forms for them to process before they get to mine. Even then it's only a few minutes.

I've never found another person in the country that has the same name as me, either.

simmonsjoe

imported post

I get delayed every time. I was delayed once for 3 days and then it was declined. I called the state police and a lady officer told me she hadn't had time to properly do the background check (they have to call SLC UT every time for some reason) so she just failed it. I told her it wasn't an option, and if she didn't get it done within an hour I would be contacting a lawyer. It got done.

Steve B

imported post

the last 2 hand guns I have bought, and 1 long gun, I was cleared within 2 minutes. Sounds like a problem with your dealer, as it is not a problem with Virginia's instant check system.

simmonsjoe

imported post

DrMark wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

Starting about 5 yrs ago, I get delayed every time. 10 minutes sometimes, an hour or more sometimes. I've had a clearance for about a decade.
I have:
CDL class A with HazMat
VA CHP
TSA TWIC ID

I still get delayed.

simmonsjoe

imported post

DrMark wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

I have:
CDL class A with HazMat
VA CHP
TSA TWIC ID

I still get delayed.

simmonsjoe

imported post

DrMark wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

I have:
CDL class A with HazMat
VA CHP
TSA TWIC ID

I still get delayed.