• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal judge rules concealed carry is probable cause of criminal activity under Georgia law

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Strange that Georgia's legislature would use different langague for carrying openly v. concealed even though both require a permit - and odd that the Judge apparently did not mention the Prouse case in his opinion - in Prouse, the U S. Ct. said drivers cannot be stopped just to check if they have a driver's license.

Seems to me the same principle is at issue here.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I believe the problem was not that he was carrying concealed per se, but rather the fact that he was seen concealing it prior to entering the rapid transit property. Had he not been "playing" with the damned thing beforehand, none of this would have happened. His actions provoked a reasonable suspicion.

mark5019

imported post

thats bull, if im seeing getting into a car is that alone reason to pull me over?

mark5019

imported post

true but here in ga oc is legal with a gfl
so just because im seen with a handgun isnt justified

rmodel65

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Ah, but what was your condition before getting into the car? Were you staggering all over the place? That, indeed, would be a reason.

its legal to be plastered and carry in GA, just cant drink at a bar or discharge unless in fear of your life

mark5019

imported post

wrong

Possession and/or discharge of a firearm while under the influence
It is against the law to be in possession of firearm while engaged in hunting and fishing activities or discharge a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in the defense of life, health, and property;
It is also against the law to discharge a firearm while engaged in any shooting activity while under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug.
It is NO defense to violation of this law even if you are legally entitled to use such a drug (prescription). (16-11-134, 27-3-7)
You may carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol (gross annual sales are made up of more than 50% from food, check their business license if you are not sure if they are a bar or restaurant) as long as you do not drink alcohol. (16-11-127)
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

rmodel65

imported post

mark5019 wrote:
wrong

Possession and/or discharge of a firearm while under the influence
It is against the law to be in possession of firearm while engaged in hunting and fishing activities or discharge a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in the defense of life, health, and property;
It is also against the law to discharge a firearm while engaged in any shooting activity while under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug.
It is NO defense to violation of this law even if you are legally entitled to use such a drug (prescription). (16-11-134, 27-3-7)
You may carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol (gross annual sales are made up of more than 50% from food, check their business license if you are not sure if they are a bar or restaurant) as long as you do not drink alcohol. (16-11-127)
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php
ok you cant hunt with it esp since you can discharge it, but if not hunting or camping you can be plastered.....but like i said in self defense you can.... only thing different from i posted and you did was not carrying hunting/fishing

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
I believe the problem was not that he was carrying concealed per se, but rather the fact that he was seen concealing it prior to entering the rapid transit property. Had he not been "playing" with the damned thing beforehand, none of this would have happened. His actions provoked a reasonable suspicion.
How? What suspicion? Concealed carry is lawful in Georgia. If its lawful then the LEO has to have some RAS that that particular person was NOT licensed to conceal.

Like driving a car, LEO's can't just stop you to see if you have a licenses they need more to make the stop. The US Supreme court has even affirmed this.

aquinob1

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
That's a bunch of bull. Unless you have a really expensive holster, driving with my weapon on my hip is very uncomfortable and I, for myself, seldome do that. I always holster when getting out of my vehicle. I don't see how that's "playing" wih it.

Not sure if you realize this ruling is a big blow to 2A.