• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 18

TFred

imported post

We've been talking about this for months... here we go:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB18

Summary as introduced:
Commerce; certain made goods and services. Provides that all goods manufactured or made in Virginia and all services performed in Virginia, when such goods or services are held, maintained, or retained in Virginia, shall not be subject to the authority of the Congress of the United States under its constitutional power to regulate commerce.

TFred

imported post

Here's the full text, it doesn't say anything explicitly about taxes.

TFred

[align=center]CHAPTER 2.4.
VIRGINIA GOODS AND SERVICES RETAINED IN-STATE.
[/align]§ 59.1-21.29. Certain Virginia goods and services not subject to commerce clause.

All goods, as defined in § 59.1-198, manufactured or made in Virginia and all services, as defined in § 59.1-198, performed in Virginia, when such goods or services are held, maintained, or retained in Virginia, shall not be subject to the authority of the Congress of the United States under its constitutional power to regulate commerce.

Milbars

imported post

I would think it could get at least some consideration. I guess it would depend on whether our new governor would want to rock the boat at all. Good to see more and more of these being considered/passed (counting Montana and Tennessee). Anyone have an educated guess? I've only been following Virginia politics for about 6 months or so; I don't have much of a read on what the balance in the GA is like.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Milbars wrote:
I would think it could get at least some consideration. I guess it would depend on whether our new governor would want to rock the boat at all. Good to see more and more of these being considered/passed (counting Montana and Tennessee). Anyone have an educated guess? I've only been following Virginia politics for about 6 months or so; I don't have much of a read on what the balance in the GA is like.
Hard to tell.
Our Attorney General Elect, was asked about his feelings on a similar matter. He indicated that he would be in favor of it. but ended the statment by saying "If you're talking about complete seperation, we tried it once and lost".

Next years elections are going to influence members of the GA this session. Considering the success of the big three and Obama's continued downward spiral, it isn't out of the question.

There is a very pro gun, pro states rights, climate now.
Cuccinelli's statement was made in front of a mixed crowd. This is one of them:

_MG_3575up.jpg

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Our Attorney General Elect, was asked about his feelings on a similar matter. He indicated that he would be in favor of it. but ended the statement by saying "If you're talking about complete separation, we tried it once and lost".
Circumstances were A LOT different then. The South is no longer just a bunch of farmers and fishermen.

Has to start somewhere. The fact that we've got a conservative governor in office for the first time in what, twenty years?

I bet a lot of legislation that King Kaine vetoed will get pressed through on the first run this coming session. Legislation that should have been covered under our state's Constitution... yet certain types like to see restricted for "our own good".

A lot of stuff had the necessary delegate support to pass but not enough to override veto. I don't think that's going to be as pertinent this go 'round... but time will only tell.

darthmord

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Does this also mean federal government's ability to TAX goods made here?

I would think not... unless the power to levy those taxes was provided by the interstate commerce clause. Then all bets are off.

IMO, it really depends on the source of the power of taxation for the current tax laws that are applied. That said, there was an amendment that allows Congress to levy taxes and it doesn't specify through the ICC.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

I would think not... unless the power to levy those taxes was provided by the interstate commerce clause. Then all bets are off.

IMO, it really depends on the source of the power of taxation for the current tax laws that are applied. That said, there was an amendment that allows Congress to levy taxes and it doesn't specify through the ICC.
The problem with the whole idea as explained to me is Made In Virginia.

Let's assume we're talking about a handgun.

Naps custom gun works, mills the frame and all the parts, heat treat it and puts it together. Made in Va. Feds, go pound sand.

The feds say, where was the steel procesed...Pa maybe?
Where was the silver solder for the sights made. Detroit maybe?
Where was he polymer for the grip made, California maybe?
Where was the Woodruf Key Cutter made to cut the lug slot in the frame, Arizona maybe?

You get the idea.

But But...we'll sue!
The idea of locking the Feds out isn't new. The first big blow up (Excluding the war of Northern aggression)...was during the Great Depression.
Many states tried to keep the Federal government from meddling with this type of legislation. The US Supreme court appeared to be siding with their right to do so.

Roosevelt (Not the Good one, the A$$hole) told them in private that he didn't have the power to tell them how to decide, but he did have the power to increasse the number of justices from 9 to 16 and his extra 9 would make the law.

The cliche "a stitch in time saves 9" was used to describe this manuver.

State Sovereignty was alo threatened during the Civil Rights movement. You see how far that got.

If this passes, it will be very hard to use.

Glock27Bill

imported post

darthmord wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Taking a crap in your own house is likely subject to the ICC, since you COULD HAVE driven across state lines to do it.