Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: OT - BuyAmmo.com & their local gun show distributors

  1. #1
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    It seems that the "factory" reloads are bad. Primers are blowing out, rounds exploding in the guns. The good news is that they guarantee their factory reloads. if you bought any ammo from them at the local gun shows I would be careful.

    Per an email from this thread:
    http://www.seattleguns.net/viewtopic...=51&t=6048


    Here is an update, I got a response back from outdoor mountain, good news!

    Norm,

    We guarantee our factory reloads. You can return them to any gun show for an exchange or refund. If there is damage to a gun we need an invoice showing you paid to have it fixed or one from the gun smith show how much it will cost to fix and we will pay for it. You can fax that to 503-399-7294 or email a scanned copy to carrie@outdoormarksman.com

    Best regards,

    Carrie
    Outdoor Marksman Corporation
    http://www.outdoormarksman.com

  2. #2
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    Another reason I load my own. So called "Factory Reloads" quality is subject to the quality of the primary component, the case. Far too many are merely range brass which can have already been reloaded numerous times. This causes the primer pockets to become quite loose resulting in primer "blowouts". Also, if the brass was military in origin, and the original primers were crimped in, most of the "Factory Reloaders" are not swaging the pockets but reaming them out (like Black Hills) which can also make the primer pocket oversized.

    Rather than buy these off the shelf reloads, consider buying a good basic reloading setup and making your own ammo, using your own brass that you shot from new. Good use of spare time, saves money, and gives you a whole new perspective on how ammo can effect accuracy.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    I agree, with a cheap set up you can start seeing savings after 200 - 300 rounds.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Post imported post

    OMC told me at the last show that they use Lake City brass to do their factory reloads. That should be good stuff.

  5. #5
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    heresolong wrote:
    OMC told me at the last show that they use Lake City brass to do their factory reloads. That should be good stuff.
    It isn't who made the brass for the original load, it is what the reloader does to it when reloading. I got a ton of LC brass that was loaded by Black Hills. ALL of the primer pockets were reamed so badly that the brass had to be thrown away after only one reload. I have other LC brass that I process correctly after each loading and it has lasted as many as 6 reloads and still is ready for more.


    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Post imported post

    amlevin wrote:
    heresolong wrote:
    OMC told me at the last show that they use Lake City brass to do their factory reloads. That should be good stuff.
    It isn't who made the brass for the original load, it is what the reloader does to it when reloading. I got a ton of LC brass that was loaded by Black Hills. ALL of the primer pockets were reamed so badly that the brass had to be thrown away after only one reload. I have other LC brass that I process correctly after each loading and it has lasted as many as 6 reloads and still is ready for more.

    I should have been more specific. I was responding to the post which referred to factory reloaders using range brass.

  7. #7
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    heresolong wrote:
    amlevin wrote:
    heresolong wrote:
    OMC told me at the last show that they use Lake City brass to do their factory reloads. That should be good stuff.
    It isn't who made the brass for the original load, it is what the reloader does to it when reloading. I got a ton of LC brass that was loaded by Black Hills. ALL of the primer pockets were reamed so badly that the brass had to be thrown away after only one reload. I have other LC brass that I process correctly after each loading and it has lasted as many as 6 reloads and still is ready for more.

    I should have been more specific. I was responding to the post which referred to factory reloaders using range brass.
    No peoblem. When it comes to brass, there is no sure thing. An individual reloader has the luxury of hand inspecting every single piece of brass he chooses to reload. This can be done from new ammo he has shot and then wants to reload "his" brass or it can be from a bucket of range brass that he selects the good and sells the badto the recycler. Unfortunately, the commercial reloader doesn't have that luxury or he'd have to sell his product for more than what new would cost. What most do is buy large quantities of range brass from places like police or military ranges and then only cull the obvious "crap" as they find them. Unfortunately a lot of public range brass makes it into this stream and it includes a lot of "shot out" brass that reloaders have dumped after their sessions.

    Rather than buy any commercial reloads I would rather look for good buys at shows or online of New Ammo and then reload my own. I have noticed that the more popular ammo calibers are becoming more available and prices seem to have peaked. I recently saw cases of .223 piled in the aisle at the old Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington selling for less than $8 per box. Earlier this year this caliber was unavailable for less than $9 per box and quantities were severly limited.

    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Post imported post

    amlevin wrote:
    I recently saw cases of .223 piled in the aisle at the old Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington selling for less than $8 per box. Earlier this year this caliber was unavailable for less than $9 per box and quantities were severly limited.
    Speaking of Sportman's Warehouse (OT post) I picked up four boxes of .380 for $16 per box when it was $24 at the gun show earlier in the day. They seem to have PDG pricing on ammunition and plenty of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •