• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - BuyAmmo.com & their local gun show distributors

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

It seems that the "factory" reloads are bad. Primers are blowing out, rounds exploding in the guns. The good news is that they guarantee their factory reloads. if you bought any ammo from them at the local gun shows I would be careful.

Per an email from this thread:
http://www.seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6048

Here is an update, I got a response back from outdoor mountain, good news!

Norm,

We guarantee our factory reloads. You can return them to any gun show for an exchange or refund. If there is damage to a gun we need an invoice showing you paid to have it fixed or one from the gun smith show how much it will cost to fix and we will pay for it. You can fax that to 503-399-7294 or email a scanned copy to carrie@outdoormarksman.com

Best regards,

Carrie
Outdoor Marksman Corporation
http://www.outdoormarksman.com

amlevin

imported post

Another reason I load my own. So called "Factory Reloads" quality is subject to the quality of the primary component, the case. Far too many are merely range brass which can have already been reloaded numerous times. This causes the primer pockets to become quite loose resulting in primer "blowouts". Also, if the brass was military in origin, and the original primers were crimped in, most of the "Factory Reloaders" are not swaging the pockets but reaming them out (like Black Hills) which can also make the primer pocket oversized.

Rather than buy these off the shelf reloads, consider buying a good basic reloading setup and making your own ammo, using your own brass that you shot from new. Good use of spare time, saves money, and gives you a whole new perspective on how ammo can effect accuracy.

heresolong

imported post

OMC told me at the last show that they use Lake City brass to do their factory reloads. That should be good stuff.

amlevin

imported post

heresolong wrote:
OMC told me at the last show that they use Lake City brass to do their factory reloads. That should be good stuff.

It isn't who made the brass for the original load, it is what the reloader does to it when reloading. I got a ton of LC brass that was loaded by Black Hills. ALL of the primer pockets were reamed so badly that the brass had to be thrown away after only one reload. I have other LC brass that I process correctly after each loading and it has lasted as many as 6 reloads and still is ready for more.

heresolong

imported post

amlevin wrote:
heresolong wrote:

It isn't who made the brass for the original load, it is what the reloader does to it when reloading. I got a ton of LC brass that was loaded by Black Hills. ALL of the primer pockets were reamed so badly that the brass had to be thrown away after only one reload. I have other LC brass that I process correctly after each loading and it has lasted as many as 6 reloads and still is ready for more.
I should have been more specific. I was responding to the post which referred to factory reloaders using range brass.

amlevin

imported post

heresolong wrote:
amlevin wrote:
heresolong wrote:

I should have been more specific. I was responding to the post which referred to factory reloaders using range brass.
No peoblem. When it comes to brass, there is no sure thing. An individual reloader has the luxury of hand inspecting every single piece of brass he chooses to reload. This can be done from new ammo he has shot and then wants to reload "his" brass or it can be from a bucket of range brass that he selects the good and sells the badto the recycler. Unfortunately, the commercial reloader doesn't have that luxury or he'd have to sell his product for more than what new would cost. What most do is buy large quantities of range brass from places like police or military ranges and then only cull the obvious "crap" as they find them. Unfortunately a lot of public range brass makes it into this stream and it includes a lot of "shot out" brass that reloaders have dumped after their sessions.

Rather than buy any commercial reloads I would rather look for good buys at shows or online of New Ammo and then reload my own. I have noticed that the more popular ammo calibers are becoming more available and prices seem to have peaked. I recently saw cases of .223 piled in the aisle at the old Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington selling for less than $8 per box. Earlier this year this caliber was unavailable for less than $9 per box and quantities were severly limited.

heresolong

imported post

amlevin wrote:
I recently saw cases of .223 piled in the aisle at the old Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington selling for less than $8 per box. Earlier this year this caliber was unavailable for less than $9 per box and quantities were severly limited.
Speaking of Sportman's Warehouse (OT post) I picked up four boxes of .380 for $16 per box when it was $24 at the gun show earlier in the day. They seem to have PDG pricing on ammunition and plenty of it.