• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Fire Marshals?

essayons

imported post

I was out in Short Pump this evening and noticed a Henrico County "Assistant Fire Marshal" performing an inspection. He was armed with what appeared to be a Sig. Kinda surprised me as I always thought these guys were closer to a fireman than a LEO.

Are fire marshals considered Law Enforcement Officers? If so, what kind of jurisdiction do they have?

PS: This is not a anti-LEO post, I fully support fire marshals carrying, as I expect they probably have to travel in some pretty bad parts of town.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

essayons wrote:
I was out in Short Pump this evening and noticed a Henrico County "Assistant Fire Marshal" performing an inspection. He was armed with what appeared to be a Sig. Kinda surprised me as I always thought these guys were closer to a fireman than a LEO.

Are fire marshals considered Law Enforcement Officers? If so, what kind of jurisdiction do they have?

PS: This is not a anti-LEO post, I fully support fire marshals carrying, as I expect they probably have to travel in some pretty bad parts of town.
Fire Marshals have arrest powers. Most are more LEO than Firefighter. Jurisdiction depends onif they are local (City, County) or VSP. Here on the Eastern Shore we don't have local Fire Marshals so VSP is called if the Command Officer on scenefeels a need for an investigator.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ed wrote:
essayons wrote:
Are fire marshals considered Law Enforcement Officers?
Yep.
Sort of. There was a bill that was defeated in the GA last year that would have given them additional authority ...or something. I forgot the details. I'll try to find it tonight.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Here it is. They are sworn in some cases but not really defined as LEO's. Kaine vetoed this.

SENATE BILL NO. 1069 Offered January 14, 2009 Prefiled January 13, 2009 A BILL to amend and reenact § 18.2-31 of the Code of Virginia, relating to capital murder; fire marshals and assistant fire marshals; penalty. ---------- Patron-- Martin ---------- Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice ---------- Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That § 18.2-31 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§ 18.2-31. Capital murder defined; punishment.
The following offenses shall constitute capital murder, punishable as a Class 1 felony:
1. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of abduction, as defined in § 18.2-48, when such abduction was committed with the intent to extort money or a pecuniary benefit or with the intent to defile the victim of such abduction;
2. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another for hire;
3. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by a prisoner confined in a state or local correctional facility as defined in § 53.1-1, or while in the custody of an employee thereof;
4. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of robbery or attempted robbery;
5. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of, or subsequent to, rape or attempted rape, forcible sodomy or attempted forcible sodomy or object sexual penetration;
6. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a law-enforcement officer as defined in § 9.1-101, a fire marshal appointed pursuant to § 27-30 or assistant fire marshal appointed pursuant to § 27-36, when such fire marshals and assistant fire marshals have police powers as set forth in §§ 27-34.2 and 27-34.2:1, or any law-enforcement officer of another state or the United States having the power to arrest for a felony under the laws of such state or the United States, when such killing is for the purpose of interfering with the performance of his official duties;
7. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of more than one person as a part of the same act or transaction;
8. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of more than one person within a three-year period;
9. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of or attempted commission of a violation of § 18.2-248, involving a Schedule I or II controlled substance, when such killing is for the purpose of furthering the commission or attempted commission of such violation;
10. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise as defined in subsection I of § 18.2-248;
11. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a pregnant woman by one who knows that the woman is pregnant and has the intent to cause the involuntary termination of the woman's pregnancy without a live birth;
12. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a person under the age of fourteen by a person age twenty-one or older;
13. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4;
14. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a justice of the Supreme Court, a judge of the Court of Appeals, a judge of a circuit court or district court, a retired judge sitting by designation or under temporary recall, or a substitute judge appointed under § 16.1-69.9:1 when the killing is for the purpose of interfering with his official duties as a judge; and
15. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any witness in a criminal case after a subpoena has been issued for such witness by the court, the clerk, or an attorney, when the killing is for the purpose of interfering with the person's duties in such case.
If any one or more subsections, sentences, or parts of this section shall be judged unconstitutional or invalid, such adjudication shall not affect, impair, or invalidate the remaining provisions thereof but shall be confined in its operation to the specific provisions so held unconstitutional or invalid.
2. That the provisions of this act may result in a net increase in periods of imprisonment or commitment. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation is $0 for periods of imprisonment in state adult correctional facilities and $0 for periods of commitment to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.
[line]Legislative Information

riverrat10k

imported post

Talked to a Chesterfield Fire official in the Ukrops near the courthouse a coupla weeks ago. I asked him about his firearm. 9mm.I believe these guys are the top arson investigators. If so , they need to be armed . I also have a neighbor that used to be a fire marshall or whatever. He is proud to be hated by so many scumbags. What a guy.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

They do have to qualify by the same standards and criteria as cops, as defined by the Department of Criminal Justice Services. They can't just strap on a gun and carry it around while on duty.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not all fire marshal'scarry guns. The investigators can carry guns. I don't have a specific s.o.p., but Ihave a general idea.

Some fire marshals that are investigators who carry a gun have different badges than the other fire marshals. Their badges have to have the official state seal of Virginia in them.

There are different types of fire marshals.

Publiceducation and safety (could deal with schools,smoke alarm grants, etc.)

Codeenforcement (sprinklers, occupancy, egress, etc.)

Investigations (cause and origin, testify in court, make arrests, etc.)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Not all fire marshal'scarry guns. The investigators can carry guns. I don't have a specific s.o.p., but Ihave a general idea.

Some fire marshals that are investigators who carry a gun have different badges than the other fire marshals. Their badges have to have the official state seal of Virginia in them.

CINDERCOPS !

riverrat10k

imported post

peter nap wrote:
T Dubya wrote:

CINDERCOPS !
Not incorrect. I guess my neighbor was an arson investigator. He has had death threats and the whole nine yards.