• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greenville Mall

Dreamer

imported post

i was in Greenville today, and decided to stop in the Mall. I drove by the entries, and didn't see any "circle slash" no guns signs, so I parked my vehicle, and walked up to the door. Off to the side of the doors on a side window, was a 11x17 sign, grey background with red, white, and black lettering that was entitled "Code of Conduct". At the very bottom of this sign, it said "No weapons of any kind are allowed on Mall property."

So I turned around, went back to my vehicle, drove across the street and parked. I stashed my firearm and extra magazine in the safe in my vehicle (but kept my Serpa holster on my belt) and walked back to the mall.

I then found a Mall map, and located the Mall Office.

I walked to the mall office, and introduced myself to the Marketing Manager who was sitting at the front desk. I handed her one of my "No Firearms = No Money" cards, and explained that I would not be spending any money on their property, and would be posting on OCDO that their Mall was not "friendly" for people who wanted to excercise their legal 2A rights, and that I wished they would reconsider their position on legally-owned and carried firearms. I then told her that if they weren't willing to reconsider their position, they should at the very least, post more easily visible signs (like a standard "circle slash" sign) that could be easily seen from the parking lot.

She was very cordial, and said she would forward my concerns to the owner. Another manager came out and told me that "You know we are ALL packing at home," to which I replied, "yes, but that pistol in your safe at home isn't going to do you much good when some hoodlum comes up to you in the parking lot after dark, now is it..."

I left, and went somewhere else to spend my money...

Greenville Mall is owned by "Jones Lang Lasalle", an international commercial real estate management company. They have offices in London, New York, Germany and China....

Greenville Mall, Greenville NC: F/C
("F" for not allowing any sort of carry, "C" for their cordial attitude and willingness to listen to my concerns)

Resto Guy

imported post

The parking lot of thatplace is a magnet for thugs who purse snatch and commit armed robbery. They don't get my money either.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer, thanks for all of your excellent reconnaissance work.

Can you explain why you drove across the street to park? I don't know if there was no parking or if you wanted to remove your gun and lock it up off of mall property (or out of the eyes of the public).

Dreamer

imported post

The sign on the window said "no weapons of any kind on mall property". I imagine that the parking lot is owned by the same conglomerate that owns the building...

Since I KNEW I was going to go in the building disarmed, with the intention of giving them one of my "no guns=no money" cards, and letting them know, in a polite manner, that they would not get any of my family's money, or the business of many other folks in NC who Open Carry, I decided to avoid the potential for ANY sort of trouble, and moved my vehicle across the street to a "public" parking lot in a "strip mall" that doesn't prohibit firearms. I removed and secured my firearm and spare mag, and then walked to the mall--empty-holstered.

I also made it a point to let them know that the wording on their sign could potentially cause them problems because "any weapons" under the definitions of NC Statutes, included things like "gentlemen's penknives" like the tiny little Swiss Army number I usually carry, and such a sign could actually make a LOT of people visiting the mall unintentional law-breakers.

I suggested that they either convince the owner to simply allow carry and follow NC laws like WalMart and Lowes do, or modify their sign to specifically prohibit firearms using a "circle slash" sign that was larger and easy to identify from the parking lot while driving by the doors.

I don't understand why so many malls have "no firearms" signs, but I'm starting to get some suspicions. I think perhaps it's because a lot of Malls are owned by Internatinal Conglomerates, and they feel that the "home office" (London, in this case) has the right to abridge the rights of ANYONE who walks inder their corporate banner. It's a form of creeping corporate fascism, and is, in my opinion, intolerably un-American.

I choose to take my business elsewhere, and let them know that I'd be filing a report on OCDO for other NC firearms owners to read.

Dreamer

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Dreamer, thanks for all of your excellent reconnaissance work.

It's my pleasure. I enjoy testing out places I've never carried before, and I specifically look for places that others haven't reported on before.

Hopefully, I can get out more to other parts of the State after the holidays, and report on locations in Raleigh, Goldsboro, Fayetteville, and Jacksonville.

I'll be in VA, WV, PA and MD for the Holidays, and will report on my OC experiences there soon. (obviously NOT MD though--darn those sorry Anti-2A Sheeple...) Watch for OC reports from Breezewood PA, the PA Turnpike, Washington PA, Wheeling and Moundsville WV, and the Fairfax/Centreville/Manassas area of VA, as I travel over the holidays. I'll be posting my reports in the appropriate State's forums...

BTW, I also OC'ed in Michaels (craft store), Hancock Fabrics (sewing and craft store), and Southern Guns and Pawn today, with no trouble at all. I did have one customer (a middle-aged woman) give me the "hairy eyeball", and a young woman shopping looked at my hip and practically tripped over herself spinning around to avoid entering the isle I was standing in, but nobody said anything. At SG&P, they had some interesting firearms for sale--an incredibly obnoxious "pimped out" Taurus PT-100 in polished nickel, MOP grips, and gold details, and a NICE Rock Island AR-15 with a 16" bbl and collapsible stoc--both for reasonable prices...

Michaels, Greenville NC: A- (the minus is for the dodgy looks from customers)

Hancock Fabrics, Greenville NC: A

Southern Guns and Pawn, Greenville, NC: A

Dreamer

imported post

I was in Greenville again today, doing some more shopping, and went to a number of places OCing. I didn't have any problems at all, and only a few dodgy looks. Most of these stores are in a strip-mall right next to the Greenville Mall, and the land must be owned by a different company, because NONE of these stores were posted. It's good to know that the majority of retailers, when left to their own decisions, are OC-friendly in NC. Here is my review:

Jos. A Banks Mens Clothier: A+
I've lived here for over a year, and just found out this week there was a Jos.A.Banks here. This store was as expected: excellently-made clothing, perfectly appointed displays, and the staff was the perfect mix of attentive and aloof. If every store in America were staffed with the quality of staff and merchandise they have at JAB's there would be no desire for crappy warehouses full of dicey Chinese junk like WalMart. I'll be returning to buy several shirts after the holidays. I only wish the Jos.A.Banks in MD (near where one of my stepdaughters lives) was allowed to have the same sort of policy about OC...

Fusion Surf & Skate: A
A pretty decent selection of skate and surf schwag--boards, parts, and a LOT of interesting (but painfully overpriced) clothing. I was looking at long skateboards, and the staffer who helped me was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Cold Stone Creamery: A
This is a nation-wide chain of ice-cream stores, and they made me a delicious milkshake exactly to my specs: Fudge Brownie Batter ice cream and Coffee Ice Cream with malt and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Yummy...

Great Outdoor Provision Company: B
They have a pretty nice selection of high-end outdoor clothing, a respectable fly-fishing section, and a pretty decent Kayaking and backpacking selection too. Staff was not very attentive though. Very nicely laid-out store though. If I ever want to spend $150 on a pair of ski gloves, or $500 on a backpack, this will be the first place I'll look in Greenville.

Trade-It: B
This is a consignment shop chain here in NC. I was disappointed with their selection of stereo gear--mostly low-end consumer-grade crap. Not much in the way of car audio or musical instruments either. One staffer asked me if I was an LEO, and I replied,"no, just a citizen exercising my rights". He looked sort of confused, and asked if I needed a permit. I explained that NC is an Open Carry state, and that although I DO have a concealed permit, I didn't need it to carry openly. He still looked confused, so I left it at that.

And of course, I can't go shopping in Greenville without stopping in to the Barnes & Noble (not that I particularly LOVE that store, but its the only bookstore worth a darn in the area). Looked at magazines, thumbed through the art books, and the "Bargain" shelves, and didn't have any issues. But I've already reported on B&N...

So that's that. Another uneventful OC day in Greenville NC. Tomorrow I'll be down in Winterville getting some pet supplies, so I'll file a report for that trip too.

And I'll also be reporting on OC experiences during my trip for the holidays (VA, MD, PA, WV) so stay tuned for those inter-state OC reports later next week!

Dreamer--Your Unofficial "Down East" OC Reconnaissance Agent, signing off... ;)

Dreamer

imported post

Update on Trade-It...

I was asked by the manager at Trade-It to leave today because I was OCing.

He approached me as I was looking at their iPods, and he asked me if I was a Police Officer. I said, "No, just a law-abiding citizen. Is there a problem?"

He then said he was going to have to ask me to leave because I was wearing a firearm.

So I politely said, "OK, no problem." I then handed him one of my "why I carry" cards and one of my "no guns=no money" cards. I told him that if he didn't want law-abiding citizens carrying in his store, he should post a no "guns sign", because otherwise, there was no way to know, and that I didn't want to cause any problems. I also politely told him that Open Carry is legal in NC for people who can legally own a handgun, and that I was sorry for having made him uncomfortable. I also told him that I would not be returning to his store, because his policy didn't support my rights, and that I would post his policy on a national gun rights forum on the Internet.

His answer to that was, "Yeah, whatever. We've been meaning to put up a sign."

I don't know if this is corporate-wide, or if it was just specific to this particular manager.

No big loss, really. The stuff they had was mostly crap...

Trade-It (consignment shop): F

However, earlier in the day I was shopping in several other stores in Greenville, and had absolutely no issues. Most of these stores were places I've reported on before, but I just thought I'd re-cap:

I went to Joseph A. Banks and purchased two new dress shirts, and the salesman there was very polite and helpful. He also asked if I was an LEO, and I told him no, just a law-abiding citizen. I told him about Open Carry, and concealed carry, and he seemed interested. He said they get a lot of LEO's in there shopping, so he was used to seeing people in the store with handguns, and didn't have a problem with it. I got my shirts for 50% off, and was VERY happy with the service there. I'm assuming that Jos.A.Banks has a slightly different "level" of clientele than "Trade It", and so that might be why there was such a big difference in their attitudes...

I also got another milkshake at Cold Stone Creamery, and it was just as good as the one I had before. The staff there is also very polite and friendly. No problems with OC at all.

I then went to BestBuys to look for an external networkable hard drive, but they were all sold out of the model I wanted. They were very polite and helpful, and told me that the next shipment should be in early next week. No problems there with OC either.

BigLots: A
And then I went to BigLots in Greenville to pick up a new portable safe for my car. They had a Honeywell fireproof/waterproof safe that is just big enough to fit a couple handguns for $25, so I got one, and a coiled cable lock made by Master to attach it to the tie-downs in the back of my HHR. No problems there (as usual) with OC.

Hoffman Hause: A
I also went shopping for some pet supplies at Hoffman Haus in Winterville NC, and they were also very friendly and helpful. No problems there with OC either.

Resto Guy

imported post

Dreamer. you can add another Greenville business to your list of gun-free zones. It's Brown and Wood Cadillac/Buick/GMC/Jeep/Mazda on Greenville Blvd.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Smith and Dan Wesson wrote:
Dreamer. you can add another Greenville business to your list of gun-free zones. It's Brown and Wood Cadillac/Buick/GMC/Jeep/Mazda on Greenville Blvd.

Are they afraid that you're going to ask for a test drive and then kick the salesperson out on the corner at gun point?

Or maybe they're afraid of armed reprisals for car manufacturers eating up our tax dollars?

Dreamer

imported post

This news story CAN'T possibly be true. One of the accused (Nicholas Scott Harris) was captured by LEO's inside the Greenville Mall with a .25 caliber handgun, and we all KNOW that the Mall is posted, and does NOT allow firearms on their property. Since EVERYONE follows these signs--even criminals and thugs--this story can't possibly be true.

And the story says the other accused (Cody Harris) was later captured in his vehicle with a 9mm handgun, but that he has previous drug convictions and was currently on probation, and EVERYONE knows that convicted felons can't buy or possess a firearm in NC.

This story is OBVIOUSLY made-up and can't POSSIBLY be true...
[/sarcasm]

http://www.witn.com/crime/headlines/80989532.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drug Arrest At Greenville Mall Greenville Police arrested two Greenville men, who are brothers, on charges of trafficking cocaine after an investigation that lasted three months. Posted: 7:41 AM Jan 8, 2010
Reporter:
Heather King

Greenville Police arrested two Greenville men on charges of trafficking cocaine Thursday afternoon after an investigation that lasted three months. 27-year-old Cody Harris and 20-year-old Nicholas Scott Harris of Greenville were arrested, according to a press release from Greenville Police. Cody Harris is currently on probation for other drug charges.

The Greenville Drug Task Force seized approximately 76 grams of powder cocaine Thursday. Police say the three month operation seized a total of approximately 216 grams of powder cocaine, worth a street value of $21,600.

Police say task force officers tried to arrest the two brothers when they parked in the Greenville Mall parking lot. Cody Harris sped away from the officers, police say. Harris then slowed down by Belk’s to allow the other suspect, Nicholas Harris out. Police say he ran into the mall, where he was captured by officers.

Police say they recovered powder cocaine and a 25 caliber handgun from Nicholas Harris.
A police K9 vehicle stopped the suspect vehicle Cody Harris was driving a few blocks away, in the parking lot of the Great Outdoor Provision Company. Police say they recovered powder cocaine and a 9mm handgun from Cody Harris.

Cody Harris is facing eight counts of trafficking cocaine, eight counts of maintaining a vehicle/dwelling for control substance, six counts of possession with intent to sell, deliver cocaine, and one count of possession of firearm by a convicted felon. His bond was set at $2,250,000.

Nicholas Harris is facing two counts of trafficking cocaine, one count of possession with intent to sell, deliver cocaine, one count of. resist, delay, obstruct, and one count of carrying a concealed weapon. His bond was set at $100,000.

There was a third passenger in the car, police say, who was later released after police determined they had no involvement in the alleged crimes.

The Greenville Drug Task Force is comprised of officers from the NC S.B.I., Greenville Police Department, Pitt County Sheriff’s Office, Winterville Police Department, Farmville Police Department, Lenoir County Sheriff’s Office, Kinston Police Department, Ayden Police Department and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
This news story CAN'T possibly be true. One of the accused (Nicholas Scott Harris) was captured by LEO's inside the Greenville Mall with a .25 caliber handgun, and we all KNOW that the Mall is posted, and does NOT allow firearms on their property. Since EVERYONE follows these signs--even criminals and thugs--this story can't possibly be true.

BWAAHAHAHAAA!

Great. You're right, this story must have been created by anti-gunners to show that only people that carry guns are criminals.

In seriousness though, what complete crap. A gun free zone means only criminals will have guns which means it is a victim disarmament zone. They may as well put up huge signs saying "FREE SHEEPLE TAGET SHOOTING HERE!"

Garbage.

Dreamer

imported post

I may have to stop in the office at this mall again, and tell them "I hate to tell you I told you so, but I told you so...". Because I DID tell them so about a month ago.

The only people who obey their sighs are the people they don't have to worry about--LAW ABIDING citizens.

The people they should be worrying about--criminals and thugs--won't pay any attention to their silly signs because they are CRIMINALS...