• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many victims were unarmed and NOT ready to defend themselves?

Edward Peruta

imported post

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!!

I have been making it a point to read every internet news articlewhere someonehas beenwounded or killed by the illegal use of a firearm.

One question keeps coming to mind:

HOW MANY OF THE VICTIMS WERE ARMED AND READY TO DEFEND THEMSELVES WHEN CONFRONTED BY A FIREARM IN THE HANDS OF A CRIMINAL?

THE PERCENTAGE OF VICTIMS WHO WERE UNARMED AT THE TIME THEY WERE CONFRONTED MUST BE ASTRONOMICAL.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Discounting armed members of Law Enforcement,self inflicted gun shots, and gang bangers, the number would definitely be near 100%.

Somebody should ask the Brady Campaign or the FBI/Jusiice Departmentto do the math and publish the numbers for all to see.

I'm no wiz kid with numbers, but believe that a substantial number/percentage of those injured or killed by illegal firearms would be alive today if they were ARMED and READY when confronted.

Gundude

imported post

I don't see this discussed much, but I wonder if the tradgedy of 911 would have happened if the passengers were armed. I'm thinking that the hijackers would have thought differently about hijacking a plane full of armed passeners.

coolusername2007

imported post

Very good point and observation Ed. I too would like to see those numbers. I also agree the number would be very close to 100%. By contrast, I betthe number who were armed and ready and successfully defended themselves is also very high if not close to 100%.

inbox485

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!!

I have been making it a point to read every internet news article where someone has been wounded or killed by the illegal use of a firearm.

One question keeps coming to mind:

HOW MANY OF THE VICTIMS WERE ARMED AND READY TO DEFEND THEMSELVES WHEN CONFRONTED BY A FIREARM IN THE HANDS OF A CRIMINAL?

THE PERCENTAGE OF VICTIMS WHO WERE UNARMED AT THE TIME THEY WERE CONFRONTED MUST BE ASTRONOMICAL.

I've been in a robbery situation where a gun wouldn't do me one darn bit of good. Aside from that one, I can think of two occasions off hand where I'm one lucky bugger to be alive and having a gun would have greatly reduced the risk I faced. So with n=1, you can anecdotally take the defense scenarios where a gun would be useless and multiply it by 2 to get the number of scenarios where a gun could be the life saving difference.