• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunstore Thieves

nofoa

imported post

Didn't you notice all the cases were empty? The news report i saw of this says that the store owners lock up 90% of their weapons at night. The cost in lost firearms is a tiny fraction of the cost to fix their store.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Yeah, I did notice the cases were empty, but they still got some weapons, there shouldn't be any unlocked weapons for them to take in the first place.....even Big 5 stores put a chain through all of their rifles/shotguns...

Edited for correct spelling.

David.Car

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Wow, I'm pissed that they threw shotguns on the ground as if they were toys!
Only saw the last guy do that... And he looked slightly portly and out of shape by the way he wasn't hustling nearly as much :p

I do agree about locking down your merchandise at night to prevent smash and grabs like this. A simple peice of cable and a master lock can secure all of the rifles/shotguns to the rack at night and take you about 5 minutes to do each night.

amzbrady

imported post

Probably could have moved quicker if he wasnt saggin. Pull your freakn pants up and buy a belt, dumb@$$. Better yet get a job and contribute to society instead of being a burden on it.

amlevin

imported post

Poosharker wrote:

I'm sure they don't care if the guns are scratched or not. More likely than not they will be sawing off the stocks and barrels then selling them to their fellow street thugs for use in other crimes.

If I owned a gun shop I might be tempted to lock up all the good guns and leave out some specially prepared ones. Ones that would explode on the first shot, maybe not killing the shooter but at least hurting him bad enough to make him unable to commit further crimes. To avoid any possible lawsuit from a Johnny Cochran clone I would carefully engrave the barrel "For Display Purposes Only, Do not fire or serious injury could result." What do you bet that most thieves like the ones in the video can't read?

kito109654

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Poosharker wrote:

I'm sure they don't care if the guns are scratched or not. More likely than not they will be sawing off the stocks and barrels then selling them to their fellow street thugs for use in other crimes.

If I owned a gun shop I might be tempted to lock up all the good guns and leave out some specially prepared ones. Ones that would explode on the first shot, maybe not killing the shooter but at least hurting him bad enough to make him unable to commit further crimes. To avoid any possible lawsuit from a Johnny Cochran clone I would carefully engrave the barrel "For Display Purposes Only, Do not fire or serious injury could result." What do you bet that most thieves like the ones in the video can't read?
:monkey

sudden valley gunner

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
amlevin wrote:
Poosharker wrote:

:monkey
I would be tempted too but then of course the surviving "victim" would sue you.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Or you could do like that marine in "Shooter" and remove the firing bolt.....these guys probably wouldn't know where the hell to order the part, and probably wouldn't even bother dealing with it.

Forgive me if I use n00b gun terms, and firing bolt is only on long guns/bolt action or something specific.

the-shooter-movie-trailer-youtube-convict.jpg

John Hardin

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Or you could do like that marine in "Shooter" and remove the firing bolt.....these guys probably wouldn't know where the hell to order the part, and probably wouldn't even bother dealing with it.

Forgive me if I use n00b gun terms, and firing bolt is only on long guns/bolt action or something specific.

the-shooter-movie-trailer-youtube-convict.jpg
He replaced the firing pins with ones filed down short enough to not hit the primers.

If you were going to leave out "bait" guns, doing something like that would probably be the safest tactic, as much as rigging it to blow up appeals to the punitive nature... :)

Good 'ol hypocritical Marky Mark. Hates guns yet makes movies glorifying guns, unexpunged convictions for felony crimes yet doesn't get in trouble for all the guns he handles making movies. Laws are for the Little People.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
He replaced the firing pins with ones filed down short enough to not hit the primers.
Ah ha! Thanks John Hardin, this is one of the reasons why I am here on OCDO!

And I actually learned things from that movie, I painted my old paintball gun using his camo method, and it worked out pretty well! Although I didn't get that fine finish...kind of rough..