• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry into a Bank??? Just making a withdrawl.

RM_Loden

imported post

A few months ago a local man walked into a Las Vegas branch of Bank of America while openly wearing two semi-automatic handguns, told the armed security guard to go away, cashed his paycheck and made a withdrawal, no shots were fired.

The local man tells his story as follows.

I exited my vehicle approximately fifteen meters in from the front entrance of the building where I noted the armed security guard standing on an elevated planter about seven meters south of the front entrance directly behind my vehicle. The guard was either playing a game or texting on his cell phone as I walked past him and entered the bank, after holding the door open for some patrons that were exiting the facility I was greeted by a young female employee holding a clipboard as she asked "How may I help you today?" I replied "I am cashing a paycheck and making an odd amount withdrawal." She stated "I can help you out with that today." As she passed me a withdrawal slip to fill out she noticed the Glock 22 .40 on my right hip. She then asked "What kind of gun is that?" I replied "Which one? (with a slight laugh) I am actually wearing two, a Glock 22 .40 caliber and a Glock 19 9 millimeter." She said "Oh, yeah my Dad just got a gun and I am concerned because he doesn't know how to use it." I then told her that he should take a class from a professional." and asked her if I could give her a website for reference."
She handed me another deposit slip and I wrote down a website address on the back side. Just as I returned the slip to her there was a knock on the glass window beside the both of us. The security guard was outside tapping on the window. As I looked over at him he pointed down at my gun and raised his voice to speak through the glass stating "You can't have that in there!" I nodded my head and in a raised (tenor like) voice stated "Yes.. yes I can!" and then immediately looked away and joined the line of people line. I looked out the window at the security officer and noticed he was on his cell phone, this time talking on it, I assumed that he was calling the Police. As I waited for my turn in line the security officer entered through the doors and stood off to the side, as soon as I got to the turn in the line nearest to the security guard he approached me and

he said "Excuse me Sir, you can't have a gun in the bank."
I replied "Says who?" He replied "It's the law."
I replied "Well if that was the case, shouldn't you have left yours outside?"
he replied "I'm an employee."
I replied "I am a customer, so I am paying to be here, I should have preference... but I digress. In fact it is not against the law, The United States Constitution, The Nevada Constitution, Nevada being an open carry state, and nowhere in the Nevada Revised Statutes does it state that you may not carry a firearm on private property including a bank, but I don't have time to teach you your job, so please call 311 The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's non-emergency phone number as this is a non-emergency. Ask to speak to a desk Sergeant so he can properly educate you to avoid any further embarrassment. I am going back to my business, you should go back to yours. Thank you for your concern though."

I could tell that he was upset, as I turned my back on him he stood there and glared at me. I then advanced back to my place in line. The security officer then began another phone call. As I was the next to be called in line the security guard walked behind the service counter and entered an office. The then exited the office with another gentleman who I can only assume was a manager. The young lady at the end of the counter directly in front of the security guard and manager then called "I can help you down here." I walked up to the counter and said "Good afternoon, how are you today?" she replied "Good, thank you. How may I help you today?" I stated my desire to cash my check and handed her the pre-filled deposit slip.

As the transaction continued the security guard and the manager spoke amongst themselves and shrugged their shoulders. The young lady assisting me looked up and finally noticed that I was wearing a firearm and
she asked me "What do you do?"
I replied "I am a teacher."
She said "Oh, what do you teach?"
I said advanced tactical and defensive firearms."
slightly set back, she replied "Ok (with a slight laugh) that isn't a college course is it?"
I replied "No, but rifle and pistol used be taught in High School years ago."
She replied "Wow, yeah I am scared of guns but I know that is because I don't know anything about them."
I replied "Well that is a very honest and mature statement, I know that is why most people are afraid of guns. I left some information with the young lady at the front door.
It is sad that there are so many people who carry a gun for a living and don't know anything about them. I actually had to inform your security guard about the laws concerning carrying a firearm in Nevada. In fact you have probably never been safer than you are right now, because there is actually someone in this building with the knowledge, respect, and most importantly the ability to use the weapons that they are carrying. (A slight clap from someone in the line) If bad guys were going to rob this bank by force they would come in greater numbers with greater weapons than the five or six shot revolver that your guard is carrying with no additional ammo. I am carrying two guns and over seventy rounds of ammo on my person right now and I wouldn't want to be in a fire fight with bank robbers. As your guard simply provides a sense of security through a visual deterrent, in all likelihood he would do more harm than good, being that the accuracy portion of his training consisted of firing thirty rounds, and Police Officers who have to qualify with fifty rounds every six months, miss their intended targets almost sixty percent of the time."

She replied " Wow, that's horrible." I replied "I know." As I turned to the rest of the audience in the line who had been listening intently, I addressed everyone and said " I know there is a lot of negative publicity in the media today concerning firearms, and even if you are never going to carry a gun to protect yourself or your loved ones, you should learn something about them and the laws concerning them, only though education and understanding can we change the perception of firearms as self defense weapons. Folks there are a few reasons why I carry a gun, One: Because they bad guys have them. Two: Because carrying a cop is too heavy. (slight chuckle from a few patrons) and Three: I am actually a professional firearms instructor, and a bodyguard. I normally charge $150.00 an hour for protection. This one is free. Have a great day. Stay safe.

I gathered my cash and nodded at the security guard and manager and made my way out the door.

The man in this story, was myself. A few of those rants were pre-rehearsed by dealing with other questions from people in my day to day walk of carrying openly in Las Vegas. A few friends of mine and I are planning on doing a series of videos for You Tube on Mr. Open Carry. Education for citizens and Law Enforcement on how to deal with the armed public. I'll post again when some of the videos are up. I would also love to do some re-enactments of stories we share on here. Please contact me with any ideas.

Eric Loden
Range Master
Front Sight Firearms Institute
eric.loden@gmail.com
http://www.frontsight.com

aadvark

imported post

I have actually run into that problem myself. One would not believe the number of Banks who think it is Illegal under Federal Law to carry within them. Nevertheless, there is no such Federal Law. I usually have to explain this to Banks though.

However, there are some States that disallow carry into Banks under one form/restriction, or another. The good news is that these States, are however, few and far between. Comparitively, many States have no Law regarding carrying any Firearm into a Bank at all, or atleast my experience reading other State Legislature's websites would atleast dictate this much.

The closest State that I know of from Nevada that specically prohibits carrying a Firearm into a BankRoom is Montana.Ironically, Montana! The Montana Code is 45-8-328(b) with close range exceptions under 45-8-328(b)(i) and 45-8-328(b)(ii).

OPS MARINE

imported post

I have carried inside of a bank here in California. I encountered absolutely no issues. I think sometimes people just take it too far (in their trying to push us around), and that is due to either miseducation or just plain not enough.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry in my little local bank all the time. No one there acts any differently than they did before I started carrying over a year ago.

The perty tellers still smile a flirt a little with me.

If only I was about 30 years younger. :cry:

BTW, welcome to OCDO. Stick around, we'd love to hear your insights.

Existentialist

imported post

Mr. Loden

Got a few questions...

1. Why would you make yourself a target by carrying TWO firearms in plain view?

I carry everyday, you could walk right up to me and never tell I also carry two firarms.

2. I undersand the two glock (fine firearms) but why two different calibers?

Why not better yourself by carrying two of the same calibers, maybe with interchangable mags. I myself carry two Kimbers 1911 .45 one of the two an ultra compact that still accepts the full size mags.

3. Have you read the latest crime statistics for bank robberies?

Well if not let me tell you the latest news from the National Crime Lab Statistics.

A. 80% of bank robberys are by 1 individual. Not quite what Hollywood shows in the movies.

4. Why make yourself liable if somethng did go down?

If something did go down and you pulled your weapon and your aim was off (it happens is called stress) and a someone besides the intended bad guy was shot, you may not be criminally liable but a civil court could find to financially.

While it's not illegal to carry on private property it is illegal to carry in a federal or state building. Since that bank is FDIC insured meaning federally backed it is considered federal property. The building itself can be owned by Joe Smoe the property in that bank is the federal governments. Why even stress the security guard who only makes 10/hour?

Please shed some light.

I will apologize now for my speeling and sentence structure... Dang iPhone small keyboard!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Existentialist-

1. This is an open carry forum. This is where we talk about open carry. Regardless of your opinion on the topic, there is nothing wrong with two openly carried firearms. You should post your opinion that OC is dumb over on another part of this forum specifically designated to that type of debate:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/

2. I do agree with you here. If carrying two weapons, carrying the same caliber + having two weapons that can accept the same magazine is highly recommended. Otherwise, just one more under-the-gun decision that must be made in a stressful situation (which mag for which gun?)

3. Sounds like all the more reason to OC. If only one individual intends to rob a bank, one armed man (the security guard) may not be enough to dissuade him, but two just might.

4. Is this an argument to stand by and do nothing? If so, why do you even bother to carry, open or concealed, in the first place?

Finally, banks are most certainly NOT federal buildings. Where did you come up with that?

The Big Guy

imported post

Existentialist...Banks are not federal property simplybecause they carry government backed insurance. Private property is private property no matter who insures it. Secondly, it is not illegal to carry in a state building. Only those so marked at the entrance orhave metal detectors at the door, and this only applies to concealed carry. There are no such restrictions codified in Nevada regarding open carry.

I carry in two differentWells Fargo Banks here in Henderson and one located in an Albertsons. No problems at any of them.

RM_Loden

imported post

Why make myself a "TARGET" by carrying "TWO" firearms in plain view? (Why not make my 2nd Amendment rights viewable!!! I am sure that an armed robber would choose wisely to move onto an easier target (someone who appears to be unarmed, head down watching the sidewalk or talking on a cell phone.) than someone who is well armed, well geared, and AWARE of their environment.

2. Why 2 different calibers? Because that is what I own. I carry two guns because one might Jam (different from a malfunction) go empty, or if my firing side is injured it is easier to go to my backup with my support hand than reach across my body and access my primary from a retention holster. I have two matching Beretta 9mm's that I used to carry all the time in tandem until I got the Glocks. I also have a Springfield XD .40 and the only reason I don't carry that right now is because none of the magazines will drop free from the continued used of throwing them down on the range and I haven't purchased any more. My two glocks 22 Capacity of 16rds and my 19 with a capacity of 16 rounds and the two additional magazines for my 22 and the 1 additional mag for my 19 means that I am carrying 70 or more rounds of ammo compared to your 21 rounds if you are carrying an additional magazine at all. A great quote is that "amateurs talk about hardware (the guns) professionals talk about software (how to use the hardware)."

3. Have I read the latest crime statistics on bank robberies? LOL. No I don't research the stats on every location I plan to go in the course of my day to decide if one is safer than the other and perhaps I could leave my gun at home (rolling in laughter)... before I leave the house. I carry because I can, because I want to, because it is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it, because Law Enforcement is required to enforce laws and not protect the public (1856 South v. Maryland, 1982 Bowes v. Devito).

4. Why make myself liable if something did go down? Because I would rather be alive to face the consequences of 12 jurors than be carried by 6 of my friends and family.

While your concern of civil and possible criminal liability is a valid statement...possibly the only one in your post. With the current level of law enforcement getting only 20% of their intended shots to go where they want, an individual can increase their ability to achieve an 86% or higher success rate under high stress encounters though what some call TRAINING!!!

Again another great quote to live or die by "Amateurs train until they get it right, Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong."

Being FDIC insured does not make private property a Federal Property any more than my car belongs to Geico since that is who insures it. It guarantees that the value of the money exists on record whether or not the paper is in the drawer.

Why stress the security guard who only makes $10/hour? Why not? LOL

No seriously, I don't get stressed when I see another individual who is openly carrying a firearm walking down Flamingo Road, or visiting a local coffee shop, or walking out of a gas station, or pushing their baby in a stroller while shopping in a grocery store (all of which I have seen here in Las Vegas Nevada) I give them a friendly wave, or a simple nod of the head to acknowledge and pay respect for a job well done.

"Because a freedom not cherished, protected, and defended is a freedom soon lost."

I hope that this has shed some light on the subject; in fact I hope that it has enlightened you or perhaps others into what the proper mindset should be when you are carrying a firearm. Some carry it for evil, some carry for good, some to feel safer, some carry to look cool, some carry to make a living (like our security officer friend). I carry to live.

Take care, stay safe, and train hard.

Eric Loden

OPS MARINE

imported post

Something that everyone should think about in this instance is that the bank itself is not insured, the money is...and the money that is backed is the consumer's. Neither of these makes it a Federal institution.

I say go ahead and let the man carry two Glocks if he wants to. It's not something I would choose to do, but I can get behind someone who marches to the beat of his own drum.

I'm glad you don't take the time to read the statistics on every place you go, but before I go into a bank, I do the following:

a) I watch for about 2 minutes from outside
b) Who's going in?
c) Who's coming out?
d) How many have gone in -vs- how many are leaving?
e) Is anyone running out screaming?

There are a few other factors, but I'm sure the point should be well received. This takes almost no time.

I would not like to be liable if something went down, and that's why I train. I know that there will be stress involved, and I train to assure myself that I will fall to the level of that training. "Beware the man with only one gun. He will know how to use it."

If I were there, that Security Officer would be one stressed fool. I would calmly tell him how to do his job and then give him some literature. I wouldn't be disrespectful, but I wouldn't back down, either. Unless he asks me to leave, I will complete my transaction and do so on my own volition.

Out.

CowboyKen

imported post

Fellas, Existentialistappears to be just another Troll (one post and no ID as to his location, not to mention how negative that post is and how factually incorrect).

No need to feed the Troll.

Ken

CowboyKen

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Not feeding the troll, simply posting the truth so that others who read this thread are not misled by his misinformation! :cool:

OK. And I agree that it is good to post the correct info. So, Thank you.

Ken

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

While the bank is definitely private property, they would still have the right to accept or reject guns in their facility - right? Can private property owners not set there own rules for what is acceptable on their property in Nevada?

In Va., private property rights trump my desire to carry a gun while shopping if the store says "No Guns Allowed".

I have long held that this should not be so where the public is invited to attend, shop et al, but we are not a protected class.

Yata hey

CowboyKen

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
While the bank is definitely private property, they would still have the right to accept or reject guns in their facility - right? Can private property owners not set there own rules for what is acceptable on their property in Nevada?

In Va., private property rights trump my desire to carry a gun while shopping if the store says "No Guns Allowed".

I have long held that this should not be so where the public is invited to attend, shop et al, but we are not a protected class.

Yata hey

Yes, but the $7.00 an hour rent-a-guard does not set policy for the bank.

Ken

opencarrybilly

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
You are right, Grape. I've said that myself. You must be old and wise too. :)

ronlday

imported post

i dought the guard is making ten bucks a hour. most likly around eight. and i would not want to trust that the gun he is carrying works. or trust the ammo to fire. the gun and ammo he is carrying is issued to him by the company he works for. and its most likely been rotated in and out of the office hundreds of times. i know of guards who had been issued rounds that had a green tinge to them. most security guards are very low paid. and the companys skimp on equipment. re-using every thing they issue. oh and i guess i should mention that i was in security for over twenty years. employed by one of the largest secruity company. oh and i used to say they ah... burned me. but then they were bought by a biger company.

DEROS72

imported post

I used to live In Vegas.Over on Nellis down from Samstown for about 4 years 01 to 05. Was coming back fora visit this spring so I have been following your forums from time to time.Here in Wa.we have fairly good no license required to oc .I understand as a visitor I shouldn't have an issue with it.I am so glad to see around the country people standing up for this..

Yours truly in my bank ...no one cares.

OPS MARINE

imported post

I was thinking the same thing...it's like you're a walking documentary or something. I'm glad you get to exercise your rights so freely. It's still a struggle to some of us here in CA. We're getting the word out, though.

DEROS72

imported post

That was Bookman.Sort of a pictorial so to speak on the rights we still have and everyone everywhere should have.Just doing the best I can to encourage to never ever give up.The day I /we can't do this is the day we have a real problem in America.It is also a blessing to me to see so many in the different states fighting so hard to stand up for the Constitution.We had a blast the other day.No one and I mean no one seemed bothered by it.