• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheboygan offers Concealed Carry permit!!!!

icepik

imported post

Ok, I know everyone is going to get all worked up over this, but let me explain.

While researching the restrictive ordinances in towns around the state regarding open carry, I came across the ordinance listed below from the City of Sheboygan. While I'm fairly certain they will NEVER issue a concealed carry permit to anyone, it IS on the books as I read it.

Not sure if it's anything that's worth anything to anyone, but found it to be interesting that it's worded the way it is, and that it's still on the books.

I'm thinking they more mean just a permit to carry a firearm, not necessarily a concealed one, but based on the wording at the beginning, you be the judge.

Let me know how you all read it and what your opinion is.

I've underlined the parts I see, it's not underlined in the actual muni-code.

Thanks!

Jason

Sheboygan http://library6.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=14340&doc_action=whatsnew

Sec. 70-253. Permit for carrying firearms.
No person, except police officers, regular or special, or any officer authorized to serve process, shall carry or wear concealed about his person any firearms, slingshot, cross knuckles, knuckles of lead, brass or other metal, a Bowie knife, dirk knife, dirk or dagger within the limits of the city; provided, however, that the chief of police may, upon any written application to him made, issue a written permit to any person to carry within the city a pistol or revolver when it is made to appear to the chief of police to be necessary for the personal safety of such person or for the safety of his property, or the property with which he may be entrusted, to carry such weapon; and the holding of such permit by such person shall be a bar to prosecution under this section. Such permit when issued shall be valid for the time stated thereon, but in no event in excess of one year. The chief of police shall keep the names and addresses of all persons to whom he may grant such permits in a book to be kept for that purpose, and he shall have power to revoke any such permit at any time.
(Code 1975, § 26-28)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FIRE MISSION, EVERYONE !!!!!!!!

write the chief & flood his office with letters. make sure you copy paste that ordinance on your letter.

Dear, Chief

I need a concealed carry permit because I am afraid of the islamic extremists that live amongst us. I fear for my life everyday & drive through Sheboygan on a regular basis.

:lol::lol::lol:

icepik

imported post

Glock34 wrote:

write the chief & flood his office with letters. make sure you copy paste that ordinance on your letter.

Dear, Chief

I need a concealed carry permit because I am afraid of the islamic extremists that live amongst us. I fear for my life everyday & drive through Sheboygan on a regular basis.

Ok, at least I'm not the only one that reads it that way. I was starting to sweat...lol

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Neither 941.23 nor 66.0409 seem to have exceptions here applicable.
icepik wrote:
Ok, I know everyone is going to get all worked up over this
No one should get "worked up" over this. Oh, here are some exclamation points just for the sake of argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

icepik wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

Dear, Chief

Ok, at least I'm not the only one that reads it that way. I was starting to sweat...lol
I own a home based small business / wedding DJ service, I am checking my emails all the time, i get notified everytime someone posts new stuff....:D

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:

No one should get "worked up" over this. Oh, here are some exclamation points just for the sake of argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO, McFLY :banghead:.... no one was getting worked up over this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icepik

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:

lol, yeah I know it's way out there and will never work. Just thought it was interesting and felt the need to share.

As said before, I know they'll never issue a permit, or that it would be valid anywhere else if they did, but still made me smile. :)

Some days you need something, besides this freezing weather, to make ya smile. :)

apjonas

imported post

Sec. 70-xxx. Permit for walking a dog.
No person, except veternarians, shall walk a dog or wear a pink tutu within the limits of the city; provided, however, that the chief of police may, upon any written application to him made, issue a written permit to any person to walk a dog when it is made to appear to the chief of police to be necessary for the defecation process of such a dog; and the holding of such permit by such person shall be a bar to prosecution under this section. Such permit when issued shall be valid for the time stated thereon, but in no event in excess of one year. The chief of police shall keep the names and addresses of all persons to whom he may grant such permits in a book to be kept for that purpose, and he shall have power to revoke any such permit at any time.

(Code 1975, § 26-28)

You are not a veternarian.

Can you walk a dog in the city without a permit? With a permit?

Can you wear a pink tutu in the city without a permit? With a permit?

icepik

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Sec. 70-xxx. Permit for walking a dog.
No person, except veternarians, shall walk a dog or wear a pink tutu within the limits of the city; provided, however, that the chief of police may, upon any written application to him made, issue a written permit to any person to walk a dog when it is made to appear to the chief of police to be necessary for the defecation process of such a dog; and the holding of such permit by such person shall be a bar to prosecution under this section. Such permit when issued shall be valid for the time stated thereon, but in no event in excess of one year. The chief of police shall keep the names and addresses of all persons to whom he may grant such permits in a book to be kept for that purpose, and he shall have power to revoke any such permit at any time.

(Code 1975, § 26-28)

You are not a veternarian.

Can you walk a dog in the city without a permit? With a permit?

Can you wear a pink tutu in the city without a permit? With a permit?
Now you're just being silly.:celebrate I'll walk my dog in the city and we'll both wear our pink tutu's...

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From the Chief's Desk
At this time, Timothy Eirich is the interim Chief of Police until the position is filled permanently. Please feel free to contact Chief Eirich with any of your questions or concerns.

Chief Tim Eirich
920-459-3343

mailto:tim.eirich@ci.sheboygan.wi.us

I might have to send him an e-mail asking for a permit!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

logan wrote:
From the Chief's Desk
At this time, Timothy Eirich is the interim Chief of Police until the position is filled permanently. Please feel free to contact Chief Eirich with any of your questions or concerns.

Chief Tim Eirich
920-459-3343

mailto:tim.eirich@ci.sheboygan.wi.us

I might have to send him an e-mail asking for a permit!
ok, we got a red phone...a direct line to the chief. should we use it:uhoh: sure, why not :lol:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

The WI state preemption statute makes the Sheboygan statute null & void, it is simply useless verbiage in their statute book, nothing more.

And then we need to look at this from another angle, a locality cannot grant behavior that is already prohibited at the state level. Localities can have laws that are more restrictive than state statutes,(except when it comes to firearms and ammuntion)but they cannot loosen restrictions more thanat the state level.

For instance, if Cudahy stated using marijuana was legal in Cudahy city limits, it would mean nothing, any state officer could still arrest and you could be prosecuted at the state level. That is similar to what is happening in CA right now with medical pot.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
The WI state preemption statute makes the Sheboygan statute null & void, it is simply useless verbiage in their statute book, nothing more.

And then we need to look at this from another angle, a locality cannot grant behavior that is already prohibited at the state level. Localities can have laws that are more restrictive than state statutes,(except when it comes to firearms and ammuntion)but they cannot loosen restrictions more thanat the state level.

For instance, if Cudahy stated using marijuana was legal in Cudahy city limits, it would mean nothing, any state officer could still arrest and you could be prosecuted at the state level. That is similar to what is happening in CA right now with medical pot.
Yes, of course even if he were to give a person a permit it wouldn't be worth anything. But they just might be surprised to see people asking for a concealed carry permit.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Sheboygan ordinance 70-253 is invalid on two fronts. First is goes against the premption statute 66.0409. Second it argues with the SSC opinion in Hamdan, specifically paragraph 48. In that paragraphthe SSC said that the concealed weapon prohibition statute 941.23 is a strict liability statute that prohibits anyone but a police officer from going armed with a concelaed and dangerous weapon.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Nutczak wrote:

And then we need to look at this from another angle, a locality cannot grant behavior that is already prohibited at the state level. Localities can have laws that are more restrictive than state statutes,(except when it comes to firearms and ammuntion) but they cannot loosen restrictions more than at the state level.

wait........what???we are NOT allowed to smoke marijuana in cudahy???

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammie wrote:
The Sheboygan ordinance 70-253 is invalid on two fronts. First is goes against the premption statute 66.0409. Second it argues with the SSC opinion in Hamdan, specifically paragraph 48. In that paragraphthe SSC said that the concealed weapon prohibition statute 941.23 is a strict liability statute that prohibits anyone but a police officer from going armed with a concelaed and dangerous weapon.
You do know that, no one here took it seriously. :cool:

M

McX

imported post

Holy poop! Where do I go? Where is the start of the line? Where do I get the form to fill out?...............oh, it's just legal mumbo-jumbo. Well, for a minute I was excited!